There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

the answer is easy, it's geep chryst
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the answer is easy, it's geep chryst

If Chryst is the "answer", I don't want to know the question. Going from one "meh" offensive coordinator to a guy that was so horrible that he had one short stint as an OC and was never offered another shot again. Chryst is a career QB coach, that is his basement and his ceiling, having him as the playcaller is a recipe for disaster.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the answer is easy, it's geep chryst

If Chryst is the "answer", I don't want to know the question. Going from one "meh" offensive coordinator to a guy that was so horrible that he had one short stint as an OC and was never offered another shot again. Chryst is a career QB coach, that is his basement and his ceiling, having him as the playcaller is a recipe for disaster.

he was the OC of the juggernaut 1999 SD Chargers
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
he was the OC of the juggernaut 1999 SD Chargers

Sarcasm detector is broken, I hope that is the case however. That was an atrociously bad offense, averaged about 16 points a game, finished 28th or 29th in the NFL for total offense.


He got canned because his playcalling made vanilla look exciting by comparison. He'd call runs up the middle on 3rd and forever, long passes on 3rd and short. If he held any promise as a playcaller, someone would have given him another chance in the ensuing 12 years, especially seeing as how guys like Jimmy Raye and many others got more chances. He's been a good QB coach, no reason he can't remain in that role.

I've never been a fan of the Peter Principle, or simply promoting someone just because they are "there."
I think if they fire Mularkey to take Roman, we need to make a hard run at him for OC. Mike is from the Walsh tree, big on power run game, famous for using players in unique ways and innovating gadget plays.....he is sort of like the west coast Norv, great OC s**te HC, and his style really really fits what we do.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Pat Shurmer, brilliant offensive coordinator/mind. Trained under Andy Reid half his career, would actually help Kaepernick's skill level (cause his style, like Reid's is similar to Holmgren's, properly utilizes a QB who can let it 'rip').

this
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
he was the OC of the juggernaut 1999 SD Chargers

Sarcasm detector is broken, I hope that is the case however. That was an atrociously bad offense, averaged about 16 points a game, finished 28th or 29th in the NFL for total offense.


He got canned because his playcalling made vanilla look exciting by comparison. He'd call runs up the middle on 3rd and forever, long passes on 3rd and short. If he held any promise as a playcaller, someone would have given him another chance in the ensuing 12 years, especially seeing as how guys like Jimmy Raye and many others got more chances. He's been a good QB coach, no reason he can't remain in that role.

I've never been a fan of the Peter Principle, or simply promoting someone just because they are "there."

it works well for the patriots...

if he's such a bad option for OC then who do you recommend??
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
it works well for the patriots...

if he's such a bad option for OC then who do you recommend??

It works for the Pats because they are grooming from within....we have only been in our system two years.

I really don't want to promote a weak coach to an important position just because he is already here.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Pat Shurmer, brilliant offensive coordinator/mind. Trained under Andy Reid half his career, would actually help Kaepernick's skill level (cause his style, like Reid's is similar to Holmgren's, properly utilizes a QB who can let it 'rip').

this

Reid's system hates the run...not the biggest fan of coaches from his organization.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
It works for the Pats because they are grooming from within....we have only been in our system two years.

I really don't want to promote a weak coach to an important position just because he is already here.

Having Tom Brady also helps.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by rk1642:
who is the OC for Green Bay? I want an OC that is running the WCO at a high level and knows how to use it as a weapon and take it to a D.

I don't want some flashy new type of thinker who is gonna want to tinker. We have spent a lot of time and effort to assemble the players we currently have on O and I want us to stick with the WCO and use it like we used to.

Last thing we need is to bring in anybody who wants to change things up! Never worked with Alex and the O in the past and it wont help Kap grow either.

Mike McCarthy calls his own plays.
Perfect, bring in his OC Tom Clements. It would be a promotion if he actually got to do something on game day, but after looking over his resume, he's kind of ehh whatever. He has kinda bounced around alot until he got a gig where the head coach did his job.


Tom Clements born June 18, 1953, McKees Rocks, Pa. Quarterback Notre Dame 1972-74. Pro quarterback Ottawa Rough Riders (CFL) 1975-78, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL) 1979, 1981-82, Kansas City Chiefs 1980, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) 1983-87. College coach: Notre Dame 1992-95. Pro coach: New Orleans Saints 1997-99, Kansas City Chiefs 2000, Pittsburgh Steelers 2001-03, Buffalo Bills 2004-05, joined Packers in 2006.
[ Edited by Sourball on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM ]
I'm tellin ya..Mike Mularkey
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
is jimmy ray still alive?

Hard to say.

Actually...LOL.....I think I heard he's in line to become the GM of the Chargers!?!

Can that be the same Jimmy Raye?

EDIT: Nope...its his SON that's up for the job.

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/jimmy-raye/d404d273-aaaf-4c70-9039-a1bb35f1fe8b

How old is his son? 85?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,889
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I'm tellin ya..Mike Mularkey

i hope not!
I would go with Norv. Still think he is a quality OC and can develop young QBs. Plus, there isnt a chance in hell he ever gets a HC job again.