Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

yah probably not but you gotta admit JH has been trying to CK on the field all season long. The injury and CK's performance were the main reason the change happened.

For sure. If he played a Rams type game against Chicago I dont think he would be starting that following week. He played his best game right out of the gates.

Partial credit goes to Roman...one of his best game plans as well.

looking back on it I bet he wishes he played against the bears now.

I'm sure if he had it to do over, he'd never said anything about the concussion.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm kind of tired of hearing the "Alex did nothing to lose his job." That's the glass half full mentality. I was never satisfied and thought the glass needed to be overflowing with all the talent this team has.

Imo, Alex did nothing more to keep his job. He progressed last year, and he should've been explosive this year.

Now CK is showing all of us what this offense has been lacking.

Our WR's are actually good. They have always been.

Yea like you said the consensus on Crabtree was that he's a #2 or #3 WR. Then all of a sudden he's playing like a #1. Even Kanye Walker is a legit target now, when previously everyone was thinking he's been the biggest disappointment this season.

Let's be fair..Crabtree started showing up last year and continued to progress even with Alex this season.

As for always have been....When did guys like swain become good WRs? and what team are they playing for now?

Give me a break. Besides Crabtree and maybe williams who on the niners was decent last year after we lost Morgan?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Yes, but what Alex does (game management, efficient play) is better than 15 - 20 starting QBs in the NFL.

take those 15 to 20 qbs and put them on this 49ers team.....and Alex will not be clearly better then most of them.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
take those 15 to 20 qbs and put them on this 49ers team.....and Alex will not be clearly better then most of them.

Speculative at best... So just let me call BS right now.

Let's put some money on this, shall we? Whatever team Alex goes to, he performs better than the QB they have in place now.
Originally posted by English:
and he pretty much was gloating about being a safe game manager type qb in the off season when he made the remarks about passing yards and Cam Newton.

oh yeah I remember that!

And what point does this have?

Just more supporting evidence that Alex has become complacent with his production. He basically set his own ceiling.

He should be aiming higher. Isn't that what we're taught to do in life?

Spin
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

yah probably not but you gotta admit JH has been trying to CK on the field all season long. The injury and CK's performance were the main reason the change happened.

For sure. If he played a Rams type game against Chicago I dont think he would be starting that following week. He played his best game right out of the gates.

Partial credit goes to Roman...one of his best game plans as well.

looking back on it I bet he wishes he played against the bears now.

I'm sure if he had it to do over, he'd never said anything about the concussion.

Not sure he could have done that. His vision was blurred he couldn't even read the playbook let alone operate the offense.
Where ever Alex goes hopefully he nets us a 2nd, 3rd at the least.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Where ever Alex goes hopefully he nets us a 2nd, 3rd at the least.

Trade deadline for this season is over...can he be traded before April and not pay the 8 million? Otherwise, he gets released.
Speculative at best... So just let me call BS right now.

Let's put some money on this, shall we? Whatever team Alex goes to, he performs better than the QB they have in place now.

not what I said.....

I think this team will make most QBs look functional.

I don't think CK is Dan Marino...but on this team he is pretty good. Not a coincidence every QB throwing balls this year looks good.

Lets meet in the middle.....

ill bet Alex looks worse on a diffrent team then he does for JH's 49ers.
Anyone else think Alex Smith ends up in Baltimore? Joe Flacco wants $18m/year.

LOL wow I didn't know Flaaco wanted 18 mil/year. Yeah there's no way they keep him then unless he budges...a lot. They could sign Alex for 9 million (giving Alex a raise) and STILL save a s**t ton of money and get nearly the same level of production. Flacco's best season was 25 TD, 10 INT and 3622 yards. If Alex can do...say 22 TD, 8 INT 3300 yards(*) for HALF the price....I don't see why the Ravens would keep Flacco.

* - Baltimore's defense and run game would more than make up for 3 less TDs and 300 less yards. Plus there is the stuff Alex can do that doesn't show up in the stats. It's not much obviously but again...from a purely financial standpoint...Alex Smith = good value.
[ Edited by LambdaChi49 on Dec 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM ]
When reporters asked Alex "what do you think you did to lose the job?" his response was "I felt like all I did was get a concussion." <-- That tells me that Alex has become complacent and satisfied with efficient play, and prides himself as a "QB who doesn't turn the ball over", while the rest of the upper echelon QB's pride themselves individually with TDs and yardage. How it really should be!

He really needs to quit this mentality if he wants to be successful and take his game to the next level. I wish him the best wherever he goes, but he needs to use this experience and acknowledge that he needs to do more as QB because with the position comes great responsibility.

No job is guaranteed in the NFL, no matter which team he goes to, he'll still have to prove himself.

So thats the way a qb should judge himself? Were you a Marino over Joe guy? I sure wasn't but alot of people were. Old Joe was more of the dink and dunk and checkdown guy. Marion was the gunslinger who threw it a million times and let er rip. Yeah, Dan was fun to watch but I'd take Joe and his style over Dan any day of the week

Only thing is you need a HC and OC who knows how to run the WCO to make that kind of qb payoff. Got to know who you are and who to use what you have and then attack. We never attacked with the WCO under Alex. We used to come out with a 15 play script and impose our O on the D. And we did it with the short to intermediate passing attack not the bombs away approach.

Its been too long I guess for alot of people to remember how the WCO worked.

And I don't think Alex needs any advice from any of us on how to approach the game. Im sure his eyes are wide open now with this whole deal. Can't wait to see how it works out for all involved.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Yes, but what Alex does (game management, efficient play) is better than 15 - 20 starting QBs in the NFL.

Alex's style was perfect for this team. Mistake free, protecting the ball and making high percentage passes. Kaep's play is doing fine for the moment, but I fear it will cost us a few games in the future.

With Kaep, I feel more confident with being behind and being able to come back, but I also feel that we could blow some big leads. Give some, take some.
This is interesting. Folks are speculating where alex goes, what he will do , who will take him, and I am thinking, "Man, are we ever lucky that going into the playoffs, we have a top flite Qb, waiting in the wings, ready to go, should Kap go down". As a reminder, 2 games back he took off to the Left, and instead of going outside, he went inside and got pretzeled by a LB and DL. Literally, he got the pretzel look. Anymore hits like that and alex is taking us to the playoffs, not Kap.

So the conversation should be not about where alex is going, but how valuable he is to us here and now, and he would not be like bringing in the backup QB, he would be like the starting qB, which he most recently was. Face it, we are incredibly lucky to have alex as our backup/ starter here if Kap gets hurt. Kap is a real talent, but he is a big target with a bullseye painted on him, once he starts running, particularly to the inside.. Let's just hope he stays healthy, and if not we bring in our other starter, alex, to finish up.

Who's got it better than we do? Nooooobody.
I can see Alex Smith on the Chiefs, Jaguars, or Cardinals.
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Passes that are thrown 20+ yards in the air: Alex Smith 9-18, 293 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. Kaepernick 9-18, 302 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. #49ers