There are 148 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If "push" means dropping it for gore to pick up and run.. then yes now back to alex
Originally posted by 49amane:
If "push" means dropping it for gore to pick up and run.. then yes now back to alex

nice! completely missing the point
No I get it. Kaep makes more dangerous throws. danger is his middle name. and alice doesnt like to turn it over, but still does from time to time. If they both played 16 games then I would say kaep would obviously have more yards. also more ints and who knows maybe the same record the point is that it depends on who tickles your fancy they both helped us this year however and kaep has yet to have a horrible game so id go with kaep he is starting to be of my fancy
49amane: "then I would say kaep would obviously have more yards. also more ints..."

And, you'd be wrong. From NFL statistics: Alex Smith int %: 2.3% Colin Kaepernick int %: 1.3%
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Passes that are thrown 20+ yards in the air: Alex Smith 9-18, 293 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. Kaepernick 9-18, 302 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. #49ers

Even if this gets wide circulation, the myth that Alex has a noodle arm will live on. Many of us have been posting such deep ball statistical comparisons for years, and they're always ignored, dismissed, forgotten. Alex's deep ball also improved a lot over the course of the 2011 season. He had a great stretch from that Rams game when he threw a 50-yarder to Crabs (and another perfect deep ball that VD dropped in the end zone), to the deep sideline pass to Crabs in Seattle that set up the game-winning fg and then of course to his numerous bombs to VD in the playoffs. So people who claim Alex is just a game manager with no big play ability are only exposing their own ignorance. I'm excited for him to hopefully get a chance to play for an offensive-minded coach who is aggressive and will let him throw 30-35 times a game.

Except Kaep has done this in 5 starts which proves that we're pushing the ball downfield more with Kaep

No one ever said otherwise. The point is people continually claim Alex can't or won't make these throws at all, yet he's done so successfully repeatedly, especially in the playoffs.
[ Edited by vaden on Dec 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM ]
I thought we were getting warnings for discussing Kaep vs Alex?
  • Silky
  • Veteran
good analysis phoenix, but you are missing one major point. if you ask any defense who they would rather play, it would be alex. sure the stats are practically the same between alex and kaep, but kaep adds that extra dimension to the offense. he adds the threat of run and if you commit to his run, he will throw it over top. it may not seem like he does it alot, but they HAVE to account for it. this automatically makes our offense more unpredictable/explosive and overall better. and i do not believe we have reached our potential with kaep yet.
Good post thephoenix! I believe there is much to the D being spent because of all the short offensive possessions, and that worries me. As for the comparisons with field position I don't really think that matters in the grand scheme of things. The small advantage, or large, to CK is off sett by his limited experience as a starter. It does bother me that they are tinkering with a major factor during a Super Bowl run, but that's their prerogative.

No, we do not have to like it!
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Warnings were handed out.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kidash98:

how come I didnt get one ? not fair

jk

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by kidash98:

how come I didnt get one ? not fair

jk

banned.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They said on NFL network last night that Smith would probably get signed elsewhere as a one year stop gap. They said many GMs around the league dont view him as a franchise QB.
Originally posted by vaden:
No one ever said otherwise. The point is people continually claim Alex can't or won't make these throws at all, yet he's done so successfully repeatedly, especially in the playoffs.

I think the point is he makes those throws too sparingly. He's amongst the bottom in making those throws so it's not people are just making it up.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Why do we even have a thread about a backup QB? serious question. what is there to discuss?
Originally posted by Amir:
Why do we even have a thread about a backup QB? serious question. what is there to discuss?

super duper mega mighty morphin thunderzord THIS ^
Share 49ersWebzone