LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by verb1der:
When reporters asked Alex "what do you think you did to lose the job?" his response was "I felt like all I did was get a concussion." <-- That tells me that Alex has become complacent and satisfied with efficient play, and prides himself as a "QB who doesn't turn the ball over", while the rest of the upper echelon QB's pride themselves individually with TDs and yardage. How it really should be!

He really needs to quit this mentality if he wants to be successful and take his game to the next level. I wish him the best wherever he goes, but he needs to use this experience and acknowledge that he needs to do more as QB because with the position comes great responsibility.

No job is guaranteed in the NFL, no matter which team he goes to, he'll still have to prove himself.

and he pretty much was gloating about being a safe game manager type qb in the off season when he made the remarks about passing yards and Cam Newton.
Originally posted by susweel:
and he pretty much was gloating about being a safe game manager type qb in the off season when he made the remarks about passing yards and Cam Newton.

oh yeah I remember that!

Yes, but what Alex does (game management, efficient play) is better than 15 - 20 starting QBs in the NFL.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

Regardless, if he was better than Kaepernick, he wouldn't have been replaced for good.

While he did nothing to lose his job, he didn't do enough to keep it either. If my management skills aren't good enough and somebody can do my job better than me, it's my own fault if I get replaced. That applies even if the other guy displayed his skills when I was out on vacation. While I've obviously been doimg my job, the next guy is gonna take my spot if he can do it even better. See what saying?
Honestly i was gonna say in business I have to say it's the opposite. I've worked in at least 3 diff school districts over the last 10 years. STarted out as a substitute, and now vp. I played high school ball, college basketball and football, and in my experience it's the exact opposite. If someone is better than u at a certain thing, then at some point that person may get a shot at ur job. But on the basis of, if u do something to mess it up. I work to the tone of that there is always someone gunning for my job, but u sign that contract that states, your there unless there's a downsize, or the individual does something to mess that up.

For example, if there is a paraprofessional that's been doing their job for over 30 years, and definitely set in their ways, then u get a new college grad, eager to learn, has worked at other schools, and u know she may bring some newness to the position. IN my current district as well as the other 2, you cant replace that 30yr vet, until A. they mess up, or B. they retire. Other than that, cant touch em. Dont matter what someone may personally feel either way.

You sign a contract for a reason, and why nothing is guarenteed in life, in my experience I have only seen someone replaced for the better person if they f(*& up. Other than that they aint goin no where. So thats what I'm saying. But personally you may have experienced diff things from me, and thats understandable.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM ]

oh yeah I remember that!

And what point does this have?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Anyone else think Alex Smith ends up in Baltimore? Joe Flacco wants $18m/year.

I suggested it already. Makes sense to me. Baltimore would be much better with an efficient QB who protects the ball. Brother to brother phone call to make it happen.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I suggested it already. Makes sense to me. Baltimore would be much better with an efficient QB who protects the ball. Brother to brother phone call to make it happen.

They also seem to borrow coaches from each other.

Baltimore needs an OC for next year.

Geep Chryst and Alex Smith to Baltimore in 2013?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by English:

oh yeah I remember that!

that he was complacent in his play of being a game manager and thats why he didnt get his job back.
Anyone else think Alex Smith ends up in Baltimore? Joe Flacco wants $18m/year.

It all depends. How good is there TE. Alex is not a WR friendly QB. They do have Ray Rice to help with the passing game.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

17.7% of the passes Joe Flacco has attempted have gone over 20 yards in the air. The largest % of any QB in the league.

Not Alex Smith's strength.

Originally posted by English:

oh yeah I remember that!

Just more supporting evidence that Alex has become complacent with his production. He basically set his own ceiling.

He should be aiming higher. Isn't that what we're taught to do in life?
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
It all depends. How good is there TE. Alex is not a WR friendly QB. They do have Ray Rice to help with the passing game.

Dennis Pitta rocks
Originally posted by Jcool:
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

17.7% of the passes Joe Flacco has attempted have gone over 20 yards in the air. The largest % of any QB in the league.

How many of them actually are completed?
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

How many of them actually are completed?

31% (23/74) vs. Alex's 47% (8/17). Yet "experts" like Greg Cosell continually rave about Flacco's deep ball, and bash Alex's.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

yah probably not but you gotta admit JH has been trying to CK on the field all season long. The injury and CK's performance were the main reason the change happened.

For sure. If he played a Rams type game against Chicago I dont think he would be starting that following week. He played his best game right out of the gates.

Partial credit goes to Roman...one of his best game plans as well.

looking back on it I bet he wishes he played against the bears now.

I'm sure if he had it to do over, he'd never said anything about the concussion.
Share 49ersWebzone