There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Originally posted by HudsonValley:
1) Could Alex survive in the NY market with the media coverage ?

The SF media has lambasted Smith for 8 years now. The NY media would be nothing new to him.
Originally posted by captveg:
Quote:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
1) Could Alex survive in the NY market with the media coverage ?

The SF media has lambasted Smith for 8 years now. The NY media would be nothing new to him.

The sf media is NOTHING compared to the east coast. Not even close. He may be able to handle it especially if he does well but it will surely be new to him.
The entire NorthEast sports media is really a lot tougher on players than it is out here. And, as bad as we think we fans are, the east coast fans are on another level. Here's a great example: there was at least one moment in that last game where the New England crowd was BOOING Tom Brady. Did you catch that? Booing Tom Brady??!! Are you kidding me?
wow. I hope to hell Alex goes to the jets. man that would be awesome. I feel he would have chance to succedd there and he would be in the spotlight. he deserves that. jm.honest to god.o Im an alex liker whatever you guys call that around here but I dont want him back any,more The jets sounds good to me better than KC or Jax and i know a few jets fans so that would be funny to me but even if he fails s**t if anyone can handle the "media" its our boy
Originally posted by jreff22:
Steve Young on PTI yesterday, "Alex did nothing to lose his job."

He's right but Colin did everything to take the job.

It's unfortunate for Alex but it is what it is. It would have been a great story for Alex to be hoisting the Lombardi at the end of the year....he of all people deserves it (along with Gore, Willis and Davis). These guys have been here through some really dark times.

But business is business. I'm sure Alex will be a productive playoff level QB wherever he goes. I used to think it was SF or bust for Alex but I think he will succeed wherever he goes. This isn't the same 20 year old kid the 49ers drafted in 2005 who couldn't learn a new playbook and read defenses.
Originally posted by 49amane:
wow. I hope to hell Alex goes to the jets. man that would be awesome. I feel he would have chance to succedd there and he would be in the spotlight. he deserves that. jm.honest to god.o Im an alex liker whatever you guys call that around here but I dont want him back any,more The jets sounds good to me better than KC or Jax and i know a few jets fans so that would be funny to me but even if he fails s**t if anyone can handle the "media" its our boy

I think Smith would fail miserably with the jets. He can not go to another team with a offensive Neanderthal at head coach. He needs a offensive minded coach the can highlight his strengths and hide his shortcomings.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by 49amane:

I think Smith would fail miserably with the jets. He can not go to another team with a offensive Neanderthal at head coach. He needs a offensive minded coach the can highlight his strengths and hide his shortcomings.

Dude there is no way Rex Ryan is coaching the Jets next year.
Look, if we we happen to win the big one this year(crossfingers,holycross,knock on wood). Alex deserves alot of credit for that. his play last year also enabled our defense and offense to have not only winning experience but valuable playoff experience and he should be as proud as anybody for turning this thing around
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by susweel:

yes thats true but a better player took it from him.

His injury was to blame. If he never got hurt he wouldn't of been replaced this year.

yah probably not but you gotta admit JH has been trying to CK on the field all season long. The injury and CK's performance were the main reason the change happened.

For sure. If he played a Rams type game against Chicago I dont think he would be starting that following week. He played his best game right out of the gates.

Partial credit goes to Roman...one of his best game plans as well.

looking back on it I bet he wishes he played against the bears now.
The Jets are a horribly coached team. Sanchez flails around - they leave him in. Sanchez starts to get hot and makes two good first down completions - they yank him and send Tebow out there to run around and throw a duck. Horrible. And, then Sanchez comes back and has somehow lost his rhythm. Please Alex. Don't go to the Jets.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Dude there is no way Rex Ryan is coaching the Jets next year.

That's not a given at all from everything I've read.
jets have potential without rex(which is the perfect name for him) and all the bs

It's unfortunate for Alex but it is what it is. It would have been a great story for Alex to be hoisting the Lombardi at the end of the year....he of all people deserves it (along with Gore, Willis and Davis). These guys have been here through some really dark times.

But business is business. I'm sure Alex will be a productive playoff level QB wherever he goes. I used to think it was SF or bust for Alex but I think he will succeed wherever he goes. This isn't the same 20 year old kid the 49ers drafted in 2005 who couldn't learn a new playbook and read defenses.

Yes, Young was right. Alex did "nothing" to lose his job. Well, actually, Alex didn't do enough to lose his job.

Honestly, all these people who are saying this and that about Alex Smith don't know anything about the dynamics of the film review between the coaches and their players. It is obvious there was something Alex was not doing for him to not get his job back.

Matt M. also mentioned that Alex looked much better than Colin in Training Camp. He mentioned this in a discussion about why didn't Colin start sooner.

Basically, Colin is a "gamer" which Jim mentioned this week. When he got his chance, he clearly played much better in games than he did in practice. Harbaugh is saying this right now on 95.7 the game...that Colin performed well in the games.

Shaun Hill was also a gamer. Crabtree is a gamer.

I recall Brian Billick talking about Kyle Boller (after Billick was with the Ravens). He said that Boller was sooo good in practice that they couldn't ignore it.

To end: You now how a lot on here said the backup QB will always get propped up because the backup QB is the most popular player on the team? Well, that doesn't happen if the starter is legit. And it's not happening here anymore. It doesn't happen in Denver, it doesn't happen in New Orleans, it doesn't happen in GB, it doesn't happen in NE. It does happen in NYJ or PHI.

Hope Alex the best but in reality. He's most likely will not be a successful starter in the league unless the offense is the right offense AND the talent around him can carry him.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Nothing "happened to him." He got a concussion, but that certainly is not the reason he lost the starting job. The writing was already on the wall - Kaepernick was Harbaugh's handpicked QB. They moved up to draft him, then they structured Alex's contract so they could release him without taking a hit after the first year. They were waiting for Kaepernick to be ready. The concussion only allowed them to find out that Kaepernick was already good to go. Alex lost his job because Kaepernick is a better QB in the eyes of the coaches and most fans.

So, the only thing that "happened to him" was a better QB came along. Let's stop acting like the concussion is the reason he's riding the bench.

I'm not trying to talk down on Alex, but this is the truth. He has limitations as a QB and will never be the guy that can carry a team or take over a game. He is the epitome of a "game manager" QB - make safe throws, take very few risks and protect the football. That isn't a bad thing when you have an elite defense and top running game.

I live in Seattle and all week our sports radio station is talking Niners. I was halfway listening to one of the beat writers and he was claiming the straw the broke the camels back for Alex Smith was his interception in game one against the Hawks. Remember that HORRIBLE throw that was picked off in the endzone. Not sure where this guy got his facts and don't shoot the messenger but thought I'd repeat what I heard.

Guess this play left a very sour taste in Harbaugh's mouth. Twas the beginning of the end for Alex.

I highly doubt that play meant that much to Harbaugh. Colin is just a more dangerous QB that can do more with the football. When he proved he was ready, that was it. Alex is not a bad QB, but like I said, he isn't gonna carry the team on his back if the defense and running game fall apart. Colin might be able to do that, but we know Alex can't. That's why Kaepernick is Harbaugh's QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes, Young was right. Alex did "nothing" to lose his job. Well, actually, Alex didn't do enough to lose his job.

Honestly, all these people who are saying this and that about Alex Smith don't know anything about the dynamics of the film review between the coaches and their players. It is obvious there was something Alex was not doing for him to not get his job back.

Matt M. also mentioned that Alex looked much better than Colin in Training Camp. He mentioned this in a discussion about why didn't Colin start sooner.

Basically, Colin is a "gamer" which Jim mentioned this week. When he got his chance, he clearly played much better in games than he did in practice. Harbaugh is saying this right now on 95.7 the game...that Colin performed well in the games.

Shaun Hill was also a gamer. Crabtree is a gamer.

I recall Brian Billick talking about Kyle Boller (after Billick was with the Ravens). He said that Boller was sooo good in practice that they couldn't ignore it.

To end: You now how a lot on here said the backup QB will always get propped up because the backup QB is the most popular player on the team? Well, that doesn't happen if the starter is legit. And it's not happening here anymore. It doesn't happen in Denver, it doesn't happen in New Orleans, it doesn't happen in GB, it doesn't happen in NE. It does happen in NYJ or PHI.

Hope Alex the best but in reality. He's most likely will not be a successful starter in the league unless the offense is the right offense AND the talent around him can carry him.

Dude what you described can be said about 99% of QBs to ever play the game. For every Peyton Manning and Drew Brees...there are 10 Alex Smiths and other "average to above average" QBs.

No one is saying Alex is going to carry a team to the SB every year...but he's definitely capable of getting a team like the Vikings, Ravens, or even Arizona competitive into January.

At the very worst he's a more athletic Vinny Testaverde lol.