LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
We should get a nice little haul from some Qb needy team. A 2nd or 3rd would be ideal.

Unfortunately in order to trade him we have to pick up next years option. There is a 0.00001% chance that happens.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
We most likely can't get anything for Smith.

I'm not worried about where Alex goes, even if Arizona. Arizona doesn't have a dominant offensive line or run game.
Obviously he's going to Seattle so that PC can pick his brain to further his Harbaugh obsession.

"So, Alex, tell me about Jim. Does he talk about me ever?"
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
We should get a nice little haul from some Qb needy team. A 2nd or 3rd would be ideal.

Unfortunately in order to trade him we have to pick up next years option. There is a 0.00001% chance that happens.

I didn't know he had an option.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:56 AM ]
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Obviously he's going to Seattle so that PC can pick his brain to further his Harbaugh obsession.

What color under wear does Jimmmy wear?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by ninermedic:

What color under wear does Jimmmy wear?

When can players be traded next year? I thought this could occur as soon as the post season is completed, or shortly thereafter?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Before figuring how alex is going to be wanted elsewhere in the NFL and there should be 6 locks for alex, and maybe another 10-14 besides that. The season isn't over. No way of knowing that on any given play, Kap could get a knee wiped out and Crabs could wipe out an ankle. Hey, it happened last week on one play to two starters, to Kyle and HUnter, both starters. So let's get thru this season , pray for no injuries, but remember, this team has a WR and RB ready to take the field after those two positions went down . Alex had his concussion. Don't think Kap isn't able to get one also. Now i certainly hope not, but the mario, moss thing and the Aj/LaMic thing are representative of what coach was worried about...injuries. So let's not have alex going anywhere yet. Let's go ahead, mash teams en route to the SB where we win it, and THEN see where alex may or may not end up. I would love to see him stay here if money allowed and if he permitted it. Also who is to say that Kap doesn't go out and lay an egg against rams, and alex had to come in and clean up Kaps mess. Remember, for a decimated team, they had the BIG RUSH on alex and kap, so bodies can get broken....and I hope they aren't ours.

You are exactly right about this. It's certainly premature talk with 5 games and the playoffs remaining.
Dont trade Alex Smith he is awesome.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
We most likely can't get anything for Smith.

I'm not worried about where Alex goes, even if Arizona. Arizona doesn't have a dominant offensive line or run game.

Not so much about how to improve their offense, but how to shut down our offense.

Smith >> Adam Snyder in that regard.
The following teams could REALISTICALLY have interest in Alex for next season:

Buffalo - Cheaper and better than Fitzpatrick, offense is (or should be) run based with Jackson and Spiller.
Jets - A great fit, a team that is supposed to be built on defense and the run game. No QB currently who should ever start in the NFL.
Jacksonville - Gabbert is a bust and Henne is serviceable, but not at Alex's level. Again, with MJD they have a solid run game.
Cleveland - Their rookie is 30 and has not been special. Good young run game and solid D. A QB like Alex would have win them 3-4 more games this season.
Kansas City - No QBs on the roster. Solid run game. Inconsistent D but with some real talent (Hali, Berry)
Philadelphia - Foles isn't ready. Vick is a wreck. New HC could bring in a guy they think will steady the ship.
Minnesota - Ponder has looked shaky. AP+Harvin+a qb who takes care of the ball would be an interesting group. Likely not willing to give up on Ponder yet.
Arizona - They've tried 3 QBs and all have failed. They've seen Alex carve them up. And don't forget - Alex knows every nuance of the Niner system. Adding him to a division rival gives them a huge advantage. Could probably yell the upcoming play to the defense while the Niner O is shifting around.

SD, Dallas, Oakland, Tennessee, Baltimore, Miami, St Louis, and Seattle are unlikely to give up on their current QBs, either because they are viewed as franchise guys having down years or young guys with big upside.

The other 15 teams all have young guys they love or franchise guys in place - Brady, Dalton, Ben, Schaub, Luck, Manning 1 and 2, Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler, Ryan, Brees, Freeman, Newton, RG3

Still, assuming that Kaep doesn't fall down (I actually think he will) and Smith is released as a cap casualty (or forces his way out), one of those first 8 teams will very likely have him starting under center next season (barring a major shakeup in SD, Dallas, or Baltimore).
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

No way is Alex better than any of those guys on that list. Remember Alex was a complete flop until Harbaugh arrived. Imagine a Sam Bradford on the 9ers with all our WR & VD and Running weapons and that lethal Defense?

He wasn't a flop before Harbaugh arrived. But the player being assessed is today's Alex Smith. And if you think all of those guys on that list are better than him, you are either eaten up with hate or you aren't a 49ers fan
Well flop, maybe not, but he is a bust for the draft position he was selected at. Unlike a plunket or his predessessors he showed no wow or it factor.

I think some of them are better than Alex but not all of them. While others are on the same level or below. I think your are looking at it in the wrong light though. How would they look if they played for the 49ers or if Alex played for them with their talent and coaching staff is. Some of them I wouldn't touch though, like Bradford, since college the guy has been fragile.

Any team interested in a starting qb would take Alex over any on that list. Why, well I'm sure they think they are just as smart and talented as our HC so why couldn't they get Alex to play at that level. What coach is gonna compare themselfs to Sing or Nolan? None.

Alex is what 3rd or 4th in qb rating and has been getting better and better with good coaching. He now has confidence which is a very big deal.

If a team is using the WCO or has the players or wanted to switch to that system, Alex would be a perfect fit. Alot of posters don't think Alex's 70% completion is a big deal but it means alot to coachs. It means he's accurate and can read a defense and go to the right wr,te or rb.

Will be very interesting.

He doesn't but we do and Trent isn't gonna pay the man and then get stuck with that salary. He wants the money for our FA D players.
Originally posted by rk1642:

He doesn't but we do and Trent isn't gonna pay the man and then get stuck with that salary. He wants the money for our FA D players.

Doesn't the league year start before April 1? Can he be traded before then?
Share 49ersWebzone