LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There's no way i can see Trent and Co paying Alex starter money as a back up.
He could very well be cut on or before 4/1/13 why would any team trade ffor him when they can get him as a free agent?
I think he has decent value (3rd round pick maaaayybe), but I think teams would have the foresight to know that the 49ers very well could cut him so they could try to get him for nothing after he is cut.
Fo rsome reason i can see alex in a JETS uni
what do you think we can get for Kaepernick???

A 2nd rounder?
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I think he has decent value (3rd round pick maaaayybe), but I think teams would have the foresight to know that the 49ers very well could cut him so they could try to get him for nothing after he is cut.
wouldnt a s**tty team with no QB be in the mix tho to avoid losing him to someone else? the dude is a winning qb, im sure he could start for a few teams out there
  • dj43
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

I don't see Smith leaving except by trade.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by dj43:
1. Baalke will pay him at least what he is getting now to keep him as a back up until CK has thoroughly proven he is reliable against multiple opponents. Note: Bears. Steelers. Others.

2. Right now 20+ plus teams would pay Smith starting money to play for them, hence they are likely to give up a 2nd round pick to get him if he is signed.

really?

He meant college teams
If I'm Alex, no way I would stick around if they do infact replace him this year. Maybe he pulls a Carson Palmer & demands a trade or "retires".

It's 1 thing to have him signed up for 7-8M to back up - it's another to have that money tied up and not have him even participate.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
4th round pick
  • dj43

really?

Yes, really. There are a lot of teams out there that are struggling with their current QB. They would love to have a guy who can lead the league in percentage and be high on the yards/att. list, as well as reading defenses well.

Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
There's no way i can see Trent and Co paying Alex starter money as a back up.
He could very well be cut on or before 4/1/13 why would any team trade ffor him when they can get him as a free agent?

I think he does but it's a gamble. Sign him and hope to trade him or let him walk and be free. You'd also need to trade before the draft as QB needy teams might just draft the next QB and there goes the trade market and now you're stuck.

That said, in a week QB draft class I think you can get ~4th/5th from him.
if he really does gets replaced by kaepernick

I see him going to Eagles, KC, or Arizona, or Oakland
look how much an unproven Kolb went for and that will tell you how much he could go for, qb's that can play are valuable. Im sure AZ, Jets, jags, ect... would all have loved to have smith this year, and with such a weak class in the draft this year it helps his value.

really?

Yes, really. There are a lot of teams out there that are struggling with their current QB. They would love to have a guy who can lead the league in percentage and be high on the yards/att. list, as well as reading defenses well.

He doesn't mean it...he can't even start on the team his on now
Share 49ersWebzone