There are 261 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex is worth AT LEAST a second rounder.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I think Im in the minority here, I generally am. But I see him going to the Giants as a back up, for about 3-4 million a year. Hes been on losing teams alot through the Nolan/Sing years, I dont see him starting over. Philly, Jets, Cards, Jags.......these are bottom tier teams, I dont think he wants to play for 9 more years hoping to get 8 wins after he was so close to a SB. Giants, maybe Pats, but I would guess either if traded or signs as a FA, he goes to a contender, even to be a backup. Hell, the Falcons or Vikings would make sense.

Look at the money that the Bears gave Campbell to be a backup whom was once a starter, in a year when there were good QB's in the draft. Hes terrible. I dont think Alex plays for the money, he never has, he plays to win. Its a shame that he will likely be leaving us, I always liked the guy, for his spirit, his love of the team, but I cant see him coming back next year. But when he goes, it wont be to some team that is so desperate to sign Kolb or Flynn or Cassell, it will be a contender, with the hopes that he can start again and beat us in the playoffs.

Winning as a backup qb is irrelvant. Jason Campbell or Byran Leftwich goes to the winner because they can't start anywhere else. No, proven qb in his prime would ever sign on to be a backup.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
My money is on him going to Oakland or KC.

Please not Oakland.

Things would get ugly around here. Alex Smith already gets the harshest of treatment from 9er fans as a 9er lol. If he played for the Raiders he would be the easiest player in history to despise as a 49er fan. I agree anywhere but there.
i think even as a raider, a majority of the fans would not boo him when he comes back. why should they? what did he do to warrant that type of treatment, esp the way it is apparantly coming to an end here for him?

I wouldn't boo him and wouldn't single him out but it would be a downright travesty to see him with the Raiders. I think back to Jerry Rice going to the Raiders and almost getting another superbowl win. I hated to root against our greatest player ever but to see him in the superbowl in a Raiders jersey...
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think Im in the minority here, I generally am. But I see him going to the Giants as a back up, for about 3-4 million a year. Hes been on losing teams alot through the Nolan/Sing years, I dont see him starting over. Philly, Jets, Cards, Jags.......these are bottom tier teams, I dont think he wants to play for 9 more years hoping to get 8 wins after he was so close to a SB. Giants, maybe Pats, but I would guess either if traded or signs as a FA, he goes to a contender, even to be a backup. Hell, the Falcons or Vikings would make sense.

Look at the money that the Bears gave Campbell to be a backup whom was once a starter, in a year when there were good QB's in the draft. Hes terrible. I dont think Alex plays for the money, he never has, he plays to win. Its a shame that he will likely be leaving us, I always liked the guy, for his spirit, his love of the team, but I cant see him coming back next year. But when he goes, it wont be to some team that is so desperate to sign Kolb or Flynn or Cassell, it will be a contender, with the hopes that he can start again and beat us in the playoffs.

Winning as a backup qb is irrelvant. Jason Campbell or Byran Leftwich goes to the winner because they can't start anywhere else. No, proven qb in his prime would ever sign on to be a backup.

With that logic, why didnt Campbell go to Arizona, he easily would have been the starter there, or Jacksonville. Hes awfull, but not Gabbert awfull. I just see him going to a contender, with wishful thinking that he can start due to injury or retirement (Brady) and lead his team to a SB. I dont see him going somewhere hes going to get pummeled week to week, booed again and bowing out of the league as the next Carr.

The Eagles isn't the bottom tier team. It has talents.

Smith has to be careful picking teams (if the 49ers release him), but being a starter is almost always better than sitting on the bench when one is in his prime like Smith is.
With that logic, why didnt Campbell go to Arizona, he easily would have been the starter there, or Jacksonville. Hes awfull, but not Gabbert awfull. I just see him going to a contender, with wishful thinking that he can start due to injury or retirement (Brady) and lead his team to a SB. I dont see him going somewhere hes going to get pummeled week to week, booed again and bowing out of the league as the next Carr.

The Cardinals still wanted to give Kolb at least one more year after failing to interest Peyton Manning. I think they give up on him by now. Kolb could be serviceable, but is too fragile to earn big bucks. Like I commented before, if Smith goes to AZ, he may have to take a pay cut to help them beef up the OL.

Blaine Gabbert was penciled in as Jacksonville's starter from day 1 (besides the interest inTebow but that's a different story) . Kolb/ Skelton was Arizona's starter. You're just making up that Campbell could have started there. It doesn't work that way. Jacksonville invested a 1st rounder in Gabbert and because of that they were committed to him.

Smith in New England? Yeah right. Here's how that plays out. What are your thoughts on bringing in Alex as a backup. Brady "No" Belichek "Okay".
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I think Shaub's contract is up this year. If things turn south in Houston, I could see that being a destination point. Shaub has a hard time staying healthy and Smith may be the type of QB that would appeal to Kubiak.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I think Shaub's contract is up this year. If things turn south in Houston, I could see that being a destination point. Shaub has a hard time staying healthy and Smith may be the type of QB that would appeal to Kubiak.

Nope. Signed an extension in September.
3rd rounder to Jacksonville or 2nd rounder to the Raiders hahaha

A trade isnt going to happen. The trade deadline already passed and if Alex Smith is still on our roster for the next trade deadline its because he is our starter.
I get that, I hear CA is nice. Wife, and a new kid. But where does he go? Oak? Thats a disaster waiting to happen, that team is 10 years or more from being a contender again, and with all they gave up for Palmer, I cant see that. SD? Norv is gone after this year, if he makes it that long. Rivers will have a new HC, maybe a GM that can keep talent on the team, why would anyone want to be a backup there? Hes not going to unseat Rivers, as terrible as hes been this year, it wont happen. Two bottom teams for the future, as long as Peyton is in DEN and their D stays healthy, thats their division for a good long time. I just cant see him with a loser, not after being so close.

Rivers' cap hit will be $17 million in 2013. I don't know if a reorganized Chargers would want to incur that kind of cost. They might be able to sign Smith for much cheaper.
Originally posted by fastforward:
The Cardinals still wanted to give Kolb at least one more year after failing to interest Peyton Manning. I think they give up on him by now. Kolb could be serviceable, but is too fragile to earn big bucks. Like I commented before, if Smith goes to AZ, he may have to take a pay cut to help them beef up the OL.

Philly isnt a bottom tier team? With the Giants and the coming of RG3? They may have some talent, but their cap is going to drain alot of players away, Babin was the first to go, that, and a new HC next year. Also, any line with King Dunlap as a starter is in big trouble, hes worse than Chilo, and playing tackle. I dont see him in AZ, even if the Wiz stays, which I think he will. Maybe if Roman winds up there, I could see that, but AZ even with Alex wont beat us, or Seattle for a long time in the division, Fitz isnt getting any younger, they dont have any sort of a line, Wells isnt Gire, I dont think they have a TE or do they? Both Philly and AZ will be drafting high next spring, thats Barkley or L. Jones, when teams want to put fans in the stands and hope for wins, they go with a hotshot rookie, not someone like Alex. Nothing against him, Im a huge Alex backer. Everyone wants the next Luck or Griffin or Kap or Cam, not a retread that hasnt won a SB.
No
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Blaine Gabbert was penciled in as Jacksonville's starter from day 1 (besides the interest inTebow but that's a different story) . Kolb/ Skelton was Arizona's starter. You're just making up that Campbell could have started there. It doesn't work that way. Jacksonville invested a 1st rounder in Gabbert and because of that they were committed to him.

Smith in New England? Yeah right. Here's how that plays out. What are your thoughts on bringing in Alex as a backup. Brady "No" Belichek "Okay".

Im not making up anything. Yes, Gabbert was a first round pick, but hes not starting now, is he? I think its Henne last I checked. Seriously, do you think that Kolb and Skelton combined are as good as Campbell could be, or should have been? I can see Alex in NE. I dont think Brady would really care, he is very secure in his job, and wants his team to win, no matter what. He knows Alex will never unseat him, and Belichek is nuts, everyone knows that and he loves retread players. If he could get him cheap, I could see it happening.
Share 49ersWebzone