Originally posted by dj43:
Rotation only means that for this game, Harbaugh wants to see more of Johnson against higher quality players. He also wants to see Kaep get more time.
This is all about which QB goes on the 53 and who goes on the PS. In this case, if Tolzien is clearly better, he goes on PS or the 53. Johnson either makes the 53 or is cut. He has no PS eligibility left.
None of this really matter until after the 3rd game. That is when these decisions are made.
Agreed. There have been a few moves that make me go, "Hmmmm."
1. The commentators noted how high Baalke was on Tolzien and how mad he was that he got away to SD. And first chance, we lock him down.
2. ST has played exceptional against us and for us now in the two pre season games (literally, exceptional)
3. We developed him last year and we run a WCO which suits his strengths to a T.
4. But we drafted Kaep who's skill set is about as far from a prototypical WCO QB as you can get (but a movement in today's offenses such as Vick, RGIII, Newton, etc.).
5. We run a WCO but have monster OL, run a power running game (Gore/Jacobs) and use the run to set up the pass.
6. We have NO prototypical WR's (huge size) on this team...all are small and ultra fast.
I'm sure there is more but, "Hmmmm." What's our deal, Harbaalke?