LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
This thread is full of facepalm.

Part of me doesn't give a flying f**k who the #3 is. If the third string QB sees the field this season, we are most likely screwed anyway.

I don't agree with that. Not with this team.

The way this team is built. Just look at how the O-line has dominated the line of scrimmage this preseason. We have not had such a dominant line in a long time.
Also, if you think back; Ken Dorsey, Pickett, Doman, and others I can't remember. All four quarterbacks we have now are light-years ahead of those guys. It's not even close. Harbaugh has brought in some deep talent, and I think all of these guys can be effective in his system. Just look at how every backup quarterback was clicking against San Diego.
Most years, and most teams, I would agree that the season is hopeless once you get to the third quarterback, but not on this team.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
This thread is full of facepalm.

Part of me doesn't give a flying f**k who the #3 is. If the third string QB sees the field this season, we are most likely screwed anyway.

I don't agree with that. Not with this team.

The way this team is built. Just look at how the O-line has dominated the line of scrimmage this preseason. We have not had such a dominant line in a long time.
Also, if you think back; Ken Dorsey, Pickett, Doman, and others I can't remember. All four quarterbacks we have now are light-years ahead of those guys. It's not even close. Harbaugh has brought in some deep talent, and I think all of these guys can be effective in his system. Just look at how every backup quarterback was clicking against San Diego.
Most years, and most teams, I would agree that the season is hopeless once you get to the third quarterback, but not on this team.

good post Brian.
I hope Brian's right, everything is rather subjective.
If people are still deciding who's should get cut, then the answer is obvious, Josh Johnson should get the axe.

With all those years QBing for Tampa Bay Buccaneer and he's still on the level of a 3rd stringer, that alone speaks for itself. Tolzien had a aweful game last night, but since it's his second season in the NFL with no experience, I still put him above JJ. Tolzien show a lot of potential.
Have a feeling cardinals claim the qb who doesn't make it.
Originally posted by trademark027:
If people are still deciding who's should get cut, then the answer is obvious, Josh Johnson should get the axe.

With all those years QBing for Tampa Bay Buccaneer and he's still on the level of a 3rd stringer, that alone speaks for itself. Tolzien had a aweful game last night, but since it's his second season in the NFL with no experience, I still put him above JJ. Tolzien show a lot of potential.

I think Tolzien is more like Smith and JJ is more like Kaep. Depending on who Harbaugh sees as the future starter (Kaep or Smith) long term, I'd probably pick the guy that most resembled the starter. That way, if he goes down you dont have to change the whole offense.

Actually, you could probably argue that Smith, JJ and Kaep have similar athletic ability and Tolzien is the most pure pocket passer. Therefore, he's the odd man out. Can't see Tolzien pulling the run that Smith did in the Saints game.
  • jwine
  • Veteran
UPDATED 5:37 P.M.

--The 49ers have informed quarterback Scott Tolzien that he will be on the initial 53-man roster, a source said. It is not known at this point whether the 49ers plan to keep four quarterbacks. There's no word, yet, on Josh Johnson. Tolzien was the 49ers' third QB last season.
Originally posted by jwine:
UPDATED 5:37 P.M.

--The 49ers have informed quarterback Scott Tolzien that he will be on the initial 53-man roster, a source said. It is not known at this point whether the 49ers plan to keep four quarterbacks. There's no word, yet, on Josh Johnson. Tolzien was the 49ers' third QB last season.

Wow I don't think I would cut Josh Johnson after that performance... 4 QB's?
I wonder if we will sign Johnson and then try to deal him or Tolzien? That would make a TON of sense.
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
Tolzien made the cut!

Originally posted by NextofKIN:
Have a feeling cardinals claim the qb who doesn't make it.

Or the seahawks. They always pick up our trash.
Originally posted by Dapro:
Tolzien made the cut!

How can you cut "baby Drew Brees?"....
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
JJ cut!
Share 49ersWebzone