LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 178 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
It is too early to say for certain, but I think that Scott Tolzien will make the 53-man roster.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
9ers have one definite starter, two super athletic, and one ideal backup. If Tolzien is the ideal back up it makes sense that either CK or JJ are going to be traded...don't see keeping four QBs on the team--unless one manages to acquire a mysterious injury. CK is the only one who is trade-worthy so it is logical that he be traded.

A back up QB needs to be able to come in and manage the game, keep the wheels turning, until the starter returns. Tolzien seems the most capable of doing this...unless you think CK will be able to run for a couple of 80 yard TDs every game. Johnson is a mystery to me but not to Harbaugh, so I would think he is either good enough to groom or he will be cut should CK not be traded.

Imagine--a couple of years ago the 9ers were trying to pick from an injured Smith, S Hill and JTO! This group is younger and more talented.

I just can't see the Niners giving up on CK. he wasn't bad on Friday night he actually looked better than he did last year which is a good sign. I don't see the trade value he would have either. Trying to trade him now would send up a major red flag to other teams. I doubt we would get more than what we got for Taylor mays last year. He will be either 2nd or 3rd qb come regular season but he's not going anywhere anytime soon
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Best out of 4 ...

Round 1 goes to Tolzien for looking more like a decent pocket qb.

Do you put any stock in the fact that Harbaugh was calling more read-option plays and roll-outs for Kap than Tolzien? Point being, it seemed clear to me that Harbaugh wasn't all that interested in keeping Kap in the pocket and that he was deliberately playing to Colin's strengths.

Agree. One thing Harbaugh does is build up the confidence of his players. From the very short sample last night, Kaep needs more work to be NFL League game ready but in the meantime, he must have some success to keep him interested and motivated. Without that success, you have another Gabbert or Ponder, both of whom struggled and lost their confidence big time last season.

Totally agree. It is the job of the coaching staff to put players in a position to succeed, to make a play. If they cannot do this, IMO, they are not a good coach.
IMO, I see Kaep and Tolz fighting for the #2 spot and JJ could be out be TC. Tolz has, IMO, surpassed JJ on the depth chart and now is competing against Kaep and not JJ. IMO, I still believe they will keep three QBs and not four. By next year though, Tolz will be battling Smith and Kaep for #1. I am impressed with the way this cat reads the D and "throws open" his Rs, all of them. He looked the best throwing and commanding the O between he and Kaep. Still, Kaep's abilities and talents are off the charts as demonstrated by his long TD score.

To me, the future is very bright for our QB position. I am sure Norv "The Bail out" Turner is kicking himself right now not keeping Tolz. Another great job by Baalke going after him after being cut by SD.

Poor JJ, I really wanted him to be with Harbs, but the better player is winning, IMO.

Go Tolz!!!! Love the underdogs.
Just cut JJ already.
I think Tolzien will challenge for the #2 spot when its all said and done. He wont last on PS if we try and stash him there. Cut JJ and keep Kaep, Tolzien and ALex
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
can they end this charade already and just name Tolzien the starter.
Originally posted by susweel:

Our Lord and Savior hasnt decided that its time yet
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Our Lord and Savior hasnt decided that its time yet
The world ain't ready

Manz, youz impatient, huh?

Wasssssssssssssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppp! My NinerBro!

Originally posted by ninertico:
IMO, I see Kaep and Tolz fighting for the #2 spot and JJ could be out be TC. Tolz has, IMO, surpassed JJ on the depth chart and now is competing against Kaep and not JJ. IMO, I still believe they will keep three QBs and not four. By next year though, Tolz will be battling Smith and Kaep for #1. I am impressed with the way this cat reads the D and "throws open" his Rs, all of them. He looked the best throwing and commanding the O between he and Kaep. Still, Kaep's abilities and talents are off the charts as demonstrated by his long TD score.

To me, the future is very bright for our QB position. I am sure Norv "The Bail out" Turner is kicking himself right now not keeping Tolz. Another great job by Baalke going after him after being cut by SD.

Poor JJ, I really wanted him to be with Harbs, but the better player is winning, IMO.

Go Tolz!!!! Love the underdogs.

I certainly hope so as well. To be honest, I think we are finally reaping the benefits of having a defined starter and a (seemingly) plan for QB development for the backups. Sitting a year is really helping these guys, as is the fact the coaches are making a concerted effort to play to a QB's particular strengths. Go Tolz.....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninertico:

Manz, youz impatient, huh?

Wasssssssssssssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppp! My NinerBro!

haha yah man Im impatient.

how you been bro
At the very least it is a gas to watch these two young guns battle it out for #2--both very capable both raw but each has the ability and talent to be NFL starting QB's with more coaching and playing time. Who knows maybe they'll play against each other in the SB one day.....
Way back when Tolzien played for the Chargers and outshined Kaep in that preseason game, I felt there was something special about this guy, especially considering he was a raw rookie with virtually no NFL experience. The little I've seen since and the things I've read have only reinforced that opinion. Kaep, pon the other hand, makes me nervous even with all those physical gifts. Not only is Tolzien more NFL ready right now (and should be our #2), I think ultimately, he could be the best one on the squad and a viable starter. He just looks like and plays like, he gets it, even after only parts of 2 preseason games. Just ask Donte Whitner.....and I'd bet alot of other guys on the team too! Think of how good he can become with true NFL experience! Sure, he'd have games that'll stink, as the inevitable setbacks, but he could be the next ONE, either for us or someone else. If Harbaugh places Scott on the PS, and worse, loses him, he will severely decline in my estimation. However, I think he's astute enough to see what he's got and hopefully won't let his past association with Johnson, or Kaep's draft status, sway him from making the correct choice.
Scott's not going to the Practice Squad... everyone is talking him up, from players to now our defensive coaches.

Josh Johnson is the man out....but hopefully for his sake, he'll have learned alot while he was here and it'll help him land a job in the AFC.

To be honest, that is one of the main reasons I thought he chose to come here... he knew we had Alex and 2nd Rd selection in Colin with similar skills. He knew he was not going to get the starter's job.

I think in his mind, he wanted to come to a place where he could sit back, learn, and get a job else where. It's also an added benefit to have on your resume that you were once again coached up by someone who helped Alex Smith turn his career around.

I think more teams would be interested in him after spending time with us, than say some other team or just on the couch.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone