LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Dixon lobbies for a new position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
some overstate the value of power backs...power backs still need momentum to hit a hole...most of our troubles are because defenders get into the backfield. A power back still needs to be agile to get past defenders that penetrate the LOS, and Dixon showed on that first short yard conversion that he can do that. Jacobs has also been stuffed behind the LOS.

if our issues were not allowing defenders to get in the backfield on short down situations, we wouldn't need power back in the first place because Gore, Hunter etc could pick up those types of yards.

The reason i'd rather keep Dixon is because he has showed that he doesn't dance like some cliam....he hasn't danced on a consistent basis since his first season. He is big, he is agile, and he is very versatile. While some haven't been paying attention to the games while watching them, he has had a fine preseason showing all of this. If he doesn't make this team, because of a #s game, he'll make another one and contribute.

what's also funny is that the same people who bash Dixon's supposed sucky play, don't have a clue of Cartwright's performance yesterday.

you people need to rewatch the game, notice whenever Dixon is on the field and count how often he makes a play (running, block, pass blocking, catching, converting 1s downs), compared to how often you feel he doesn't. It is drastically tilted in Dixon's favor this preseason.

It's the cool thing to bash Dixon now since everyone is doing it. "Oh they all say he sucks, so he must suck." He is not that bad a player. Everyone here screams that they love how Harbaugh is having players play numerous roles. Well Dixon asked to be tried at FB while playing HB and special teams. This offseason, he was at the training facility all year practicing with Kaep and lifting with the Justin Smith and the D linemen. I'll admit, I have disliked Dixon in the past and while he may be annoyingly vocal sometimes, the dude has heart and loves the team and puts in the time and effort. He may not have shown all the talent in the world, but he has drive. That is worth more in my opinion.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Anthony Dixon is averaging 3.4 YPC

Excellent post, I love the insight.
Not Bashing Dixon but Kendall Hunter is starting to look more then capable in short yardage situations as well, if Jacobs ends up not seriously injured then Dixon is probably the odd man out
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Bruce Lee never carried a gun

And Bill Ring never danced

ken willard never peed into the wind (que to poster hofer for a ken willard picture )
Originally posted by Youngb:
It's the cool thing to bash Dixon now since everyone is doing it. "Oh they all say he sucks, so he must suck." He is not that bad a player. Everyone here screams that they love how Harbaugh is having players play numerous roles. Well Dixon asked to be tried at FB while playing HB and special teams. This offseason, he was at the training facility all year practicing with Kaep and lifting with the Justin Smith and the D linemen. I'll admit, I have disliked Dixon in the past and while he may be annoyingly vocal sometimes, the dude has heart and loves the team and puts in the time and effort. He may not have shown all the talent in the world, but he has drive. That is worth more in my opinion.

These kind of posts make it more emotional than it need to be. Dixon is a fine player compared to most of the general population. I think he cold probably play on other teams as w ell. But for this team he is not a great fit with the other players (assuming they are healthy) available. So when people say he sucks it is because they are looking at these other players and comparing those players to him.

Personally I'm not sure there is a huge differene between Dixon and Cartwright in their value to the team. If they are valued about the same I'd rather have Dixon. Still, he is a bit player that has not shown an ability to perform in his role (short yardage power back). He doesn't hit the hole hard regardless of defensive push, and even though he is a big RB, he doesn't seem to have much power when taking on tacklers. He is just not ideal so people don't like him. His tweets are also really annoying, but I think the criticism that he doesn't work hard is incorrect. From what I saw he seemed to be working really hard this summer.

Still his YPC is 3.4 this pre-season, so he isn't exactly tearing it up out there. Career YPC is 3.0
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Aug 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Youngb:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Anthony Dixon is averaging 3.4 YPC

Excellent post, I love the insight.

This
do some just not want to acknowledge or do some just don't know how many first down Dixon converted yesterday?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
do some just not want to acknowledge or do some just don't know how many first down Dixon converted yesterday?

Exactly. He's the the second coming of Frank Gore or Roger Craig, but the dude has done everything asked of him and busts his a**. Definately, not worth the bashing he has been receiving. I can admit, I've done a little bit of the bashing myself, but it's more of wanting to see that player I saw in college.

Meh, don't let the door hit you on the way out big Dix
Dixon is a 9er and is breaking his freaking butt with every play.

He has talent and he has size.

I'm thinking the coaching staff is trying to figure out where he fits.

He is just one step slower than it takes.

No, he isn't a running back.

No, he isn't a fullback.

Can he catch?

Try him at tight end otherwise keep him for special teams.

• Jiks
Hey Alex this is your fault!!!
Share 49ersWebzone