There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

NO
Was Steve Stenstrom or Brian Brohm as good as Steve Young?????
Plus Montana only had a couple years left anyways. I always like Walsh's idea of rather let them go a little early then too late. Young > Bono any day.
Yes. Yes and effin' yes. Young was a choke artist. He was and continues to be over-rated. Plain and simple. The 1994-95 SB victory came about in spite of him. If Bono were the starting QB, the 9ers would have won at least the 1992 NFC championship game against Dallas and go to win the SB. With the talent this team had around Young, there is no way the 9ers should not have dominated the 1990s.
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Yes. Yes and effin' yes. Young was a choke artist. He was and continues to be over-rated. Plain and simple. The 1994-95 SB victory came about in spite of him. If Bono were the starting QB, the 9ers would have won at least the 1992 NFC championship game against Dallas and go to win the SB. With the talent this team had around Young, there is no way the 9ers should not have dominated the 1990s.

Yes the weak ass Defense this team had was all Young's fault.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,863
Originally posted by BobS:
Just look at how Bono's numbers fell off after he left the 49ers. It was obvious his success was due to the talent around him.
had we moved young to kansas city.. you know his numbers would have dropped and he never would have had the success he had with us
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,863
Originally posted by kingairta:
Yes the weak ass Defense this team had was all Young's fault.
that is exactly the reason why we should have moved young to kansas city for thomas. thomas would have fixed our defense and we would still have had montana with all our offensive weapons and bono as a backup. it would have been the right thing to do
Originally posted by kingairta:
Yes the weak ass Defense this team had was all Young's fault.

Yes that weak ass defense that led the team to a 14-2 record in 1992 only to have Stevie boy choke it away in the NFC Championship.
Bono was a good QB. His style was a mini montana..which is why he looked even better on the 9ers. He was not able to duplicate Montana's success in KC..He had one good year. Steve on the other hand had us going to the play-offs every year...except when we had no running back his first year.

This is an example of a system qb looking as good as a qb that is more skilled but isn't custom made for the system. You could see moments of brilliance when Young was still backing up Montana.
BTW...it could be argued that Steve Young changed the way the game could be played.
no
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,863
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Yes that weak ass defense that led the team to a 14-2 record in 1992 only to have Stevie boy choke it away in the NFC Championship.

we were good against most teams but against teams like dallas our lack of speed, esp at the linebacker spot was exploited. i think we could just outscore teams as well. If you remember we got ken norton and retooled the defense after 93.I agree,, steve choked it away. That is why I thought and still do we should have done the trade for thomas. our defense would not have been burned like it was vs the cowboys for those two years with thomas and his speed.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,863
this is not a dumb thread. it was a legit topic in niner history. the thread of young vs montana is not dumb and neither is this. i think it is fun and interesting to revisit history and discuss what could have been
well mr BONO the answer is NO i didnt know you were a poster here