LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

Historical Thread: Was/Could Steve Bono have been better than Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes.

Okay, who am I kidding? No.
Ummm ...Steve young is a 1st ballot hall of famer!!!!! C'mon Man!!!
[ Edited by NYCNINER on May 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM ]
It was one of those which had a higher ceiling. Steve had a higher ceiling. Bono was more like Montana in some respects, but his ceiling was already at its limit. Could we win with Bono-yes, would the Offense be as prolific in the long run-no. Bono was like Elvis Grbac, a good QB who could get the job done, but would never a Bono or Young. People favored Bono in part cause Montana was not threatened by him and there was peace, same can't be said about with Young and at the time Montana was god.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
LOL

ummmmm, no.
no, U2 suck.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i thought at the time it was best to move young to the chiefs for derick thomas. our defense was old and slow back then. we put ban aids on things with free agents but thomas could have given us a real shot. At the time i was mad at young cuz while his mvps were nice he did not do well in post season play. I was spoiled back then. I liked bono cuz he looked like montana when he dropped back to pass. looking back 20 years after the fact. we should have traded young for thomas, our defense would have been great, thomas never would have gotten killed, given the job to montana for two years and let bono take over. we would have won more super bowls in my opinion
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Well he looked good here:

9:29 in
Rathman with 3 TDs in one game!

This is thread is silly, but it's awesome to see Rathman go nuts like that. Makes me excited to see what Bruce Miller can do in year 2.

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Rathman with 3 TDs in one game!

This is thread is silly, but it's awesome to see Rathman go nuts like that. Makes me excited to see what Bruce Miller can do in year 2.

Nothing silly about this thread

We COULD HAVE won more superbowls with joe and bono then with Steve Young

The 49ers wanted to much for young... That's the ONLY reason he was not traded.

You could make a REALLY strong argument for bono going playoffs in 91 and or Montana going Super Bowl in 92
are you serious , when young took over it was a couple of things that stood out for one, we did not have secondary that was physical with the cowboys and, and 2 we traded charles haley for garbage to the cowboys . and 3 young did not benefit because we had a salary cap dude bono was nice but no where near young's level
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
are you serious , when young took over it was a couple of things that stood out for one, we did not have secondary that was physical with the cowboys and, and 2 we traded charles haley for garbage to the cowboys . and 3 young did not benefit because we had a salary cap dude bono was nice but no where near young's level
our defense was awfull, the linebackers were slowwww. aside from young and stubblefield we did not draft well for defense back then. had to fill in with free agents and then you know how that went at the end.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:

91 bono makes the playoffs .....no one wanted to play that 49er team they peaked strong

Bono was 5-1 throwing well

Young was 5-5

92 Steve Young lost that game to Dallas with 4th qtr picks

Does Montana win that game ? Hell ....maybe he does

In 92 and 93 young averaged like 290 yards on 34 attempts against Dallas with 2tds and 3 picks

As stacked as those 49ers offenses were I have no reason to think Montana or bono could not have been as good if not better in 92 and 93 we know for a fact bono was better in 91.

94 that team was so talented an aged Montana might have won with it

Nothing is certain....young is one of my all time fav players the 49ers were contenders for a long time because of him.....

Hindsight is 20/20 we know young only got 1 sb but we all expected more
[ Edited by Dshearn on May 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
91 bono makes the playoffs .....no one wanted to play that 49er team the peaked strong

Bono was 5-1 throwing well

Young was 5-5

92 Steve Young lost that game to Dallas with 4th qtr picks

Does Montana win that game ? Hell ....maybe he does

In 92 and 93 young averaged like 290 yards on 34 attempts against Dallas with 2tds and 3 picks

As stacked as those 49ers offenses were I have no reason to be think Montana or bono could not have been as good if not better in 92 and 93 we know for a fact bono was better in 91.

94 that team was so talented an aged Montana might have won with it

Nothing is certain....young is one of my all time fav players the 49ers were contenders for a long time because of him.....

Hindsight is 20/20 we know young only got 1 sb but we all expected more
spot on. d thomas could have made our defense very very good and bono or montana would have done very well. you know that young would never have done the great things in kansas city that he did here had we pulled that trigger and made the trade,, i love young but i would still have done that deal
Share 49ersWebzone