LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Johnson knows the offense!
Originally posted by jreff22:
If we dress 3 on gamedays what are we benching?

and extra DB, we kept 10 active each game. we dont need 10 each game, active at DB should be CBs Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock and S's Goldson, Whitner, Spillman and Jones. We could deactivate Brock for a FS that we keep extra on 53 man.

OL wise, 7 stay active like usual, Davis, Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Boone, Goodwin and unknwon at this moment, depends on draft, maybe Person or draftee.

DL wise, 5 as usual, RJF, Justin, McDonald, Ice and Tukuafu

WR will be interesting. Crabs, Moss, Manningham and Ginn are basically locks if healthy. Then depends on if we keep 5 or 6 on 53 man, if 5 then just the 4, if 6 then an extra one.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Joe Montana

Steve Young

Steve Bono

are all better than our best QB.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I posted this yesterday...

I'm curious how sold our FO is on the two young backups, Kaep and Lord Tolzien. If there is any doubt about either of these guys, I think we might bring in Johnson. It sounds like Johnson would love to be here, he obviously is familiar with the system, and is willing to work hard even if it's in a backup capacity. I like the prospect of bringing in a guy like Johnson to keep the backup QB's competing hard to get better and also ready to take over should Alex get hurt.

Originally posted by AmpLee:
I posted this yesterday...

I'm curious how sold our FO is on the two young backups, Kaep and Lord Tolzien. If there is any doubt about either of these guys, I think we might bring in Johnson. It sounds like Johnson would love to be here, he obviously is familiar with the system, and is willing to work hard even if it's in a backup capacity. I like the prospect of bringing in a guy like Johnson to keep the backup QB's competing hard to get better and also ready to take over should Alex get hurt.

looks like you were right

imo this is more of a knock than kaep not too much of a favor if this signing may stunt kaeps growth
This signing, to me, says more about the teams confidence in Kap than it does their desire for competition for Alex Smith. As a second round pick, I'm sorry, you should at least be good enough to be counted on to back-up the starter. Blown draft pick?
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by suso365:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I see this as competition for kaepernick. If anyone thinks Alex won't be the starter next year you'd be delusional. I've never been high on kaepernick. I just don't see it. This proves me right. I'm not saying this proves it too all, but to me it does.

how does this prove you right? no one knows if kaepernick will be good or bad, you cant judge him fom last preseason because im sure there has been good qbs now that had bad to questionable rookie preseasons. this signing is all about competition that harbaugh enjoys to see

Like I said. In my mind it proves me right on my belief in what I see in kaepernick. Like all of us here it's an opinion. We all don't really know anything.

THIS may be the wisest thing ever typed in the history of the WZ!

I like the signing... the more the meerier. Smith is probably still going to be the starter, but I will feel better with a battle and hopefully a solid number 2 option should something happen to #11.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
What bad blood? Hearing that Harbaugh, Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick and newcomer Josh Johnson played racquetball together today.

https://twitter.com/#!/mattbarrows/status/183028322001887234

That's f**king awesome!

No Tolzien?

Demoted to 5th wheel.
hold on

Everybody defends Jim about his QB decisions.....and now are saying Kap might be in trouble because he isn't working out? Wasn't he Jim's choice...?
Not sure this is a message to anyone...just trying to have the best three guys at the position available. Johnson may be a project for Harbaugh, to see if he can get him up to his college play.

If they could bring in a great FA TE I thinnk they should...or OT or DL or MLB...

I'm okay with the signing but doesn't really do much for us. Don't see him as being much better that either Kap's or Scott. And I'm sure Scott would have been a cheaper option.

I don't give a rats ass how fast a qb can run bye the way. I just want the guy to be mobile enough to pick up a few yards with his legs if things breakdown but mostly want a passer. Does Josh fit that bill? Don't know.

Its another example of us going after the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. At some point, I'd like us to make a significant move other than or own. We had enough ammo to go after a #1 wr in FA and didn't do it. I pray Moss and Manningham pan out!
hes black
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I see this as competition for kaepernick. If anyone thinks Alex won't be the starter next year you'd be delusional. I've never been high on kaepernick. I just don't see it. This proves me right. I'm not saying this proves it too all, but to me it does.

how does this prove you right? no one knows if kaepernick will be good or bad, you cant judge him fom last preseason because im sure there has been good qbs now that had bad to questionable rookie preseasons. this signing is all about competition that harbaugh enjoys to see

Like I said. In my mind it proves me right on my belief in what I see in kaepernick. Like all of us here it's an opinion. We all don't really know anything.

THIS may be the wisest thing ever typed in the history of the WZ!

Except for the fact that everything I say is truth, and everyone who disagrees with me is dumber than a bag full of Paris Hilton's poo.
After reading the zone gush over this guy for a year, it's hard for me to believe the day has finally come when he has actually signed here.
I think he can beat Tolzien out. But we will see. LOL. We might have 3 pretty good QB's. Non great. But when was the last time we had that? Been a while. I'm kind of surprised with Tolzien and all. Tolzien looked like a good pocket passer. But Josh Johnson is a better athlete. We already have a good athlete in Kaepernick. So I'm surpised we did this.
Share 49ersWebzone