LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 310 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I posted this yesterday...

I'm curious how sold our FO is on the two young backups, Kaep and Lord Tolzien. If there is any doubt about either of these guys, I think we might bring in Johnson. It sounds like Johnson would love to be here, he obviously is familiar with the system, and is willing to work hard even if it's in a backup capacity. I like the prospect of bringing in a guy like Johnson to keep the backup QB's competing hard to get better and also ready to take over should Alex get hurt.

I posted this yesterday also...

SofaKing will probably post a lame sarcastic gif pertaining to my correct prognostication.

LOL. Your foresight is truly amazing.
obviously hes a Harbaugh guy, and he wanted to bring him in... 4 arms in camp, Smith, Kaep, Johnson, Tolzien.. He will compete with Tolzien IMHO, but they are completely different QB's.. Tolzien is more traditional and I like the upside from what i saw in pre season and at Wisconsin, but we have Kaep so this move is interesting..
Is this not Troy Smith 2.0? Troy Smith was cut by BALT after three years of backup duty. Baalke signed him and some of you thought we had picked up an overlooked treasure. Well, we saw how that turned out.

Twoyears later, and Ballke's at it again. JJ is a four year backup and is cut loose by TB. I looked at TB's roster. After Josh Freeman, they have Rudy Carpenter and Brett Ratliff (who?) as Freman's backup QBs , in preference to JJ. How much of an endorsement is that? To me, the evidence is that he is a camp arm, not much more.
Hey it won't hurt to bring him in. Let them all compete an make each other. May the best man win!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think he can beat Tolzien out. But we will see. LOL. We might have 3 pretty good QB's. Non great. But when was the last time we had that? Been a while. I'm kind of surprised with Tolzien and all. Tolzien looked like a good pocket passer. But Josh Johnson is a better athlete. We already have a good athlete in Kaepernick. So I'm surpised we did this.

I took a look at his 'highlights' on NFL.com. Not impressed. I think Shaun Hill has a stronger arm than this guy.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice signing. I didn't know he's only 25 yrs old. Should beat out Tolzien for out #3 Qb.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Barrows

The Josh Johnson signing confirms two things: 1.) Jim Harbaugh loves competition. 2.) The 49ers aren't committed to A Smith long term.
Great signing. I know he probably won't beat out Alex Smith for the starting job or even CK for the backup, but this does send a message to all the QB's that they need to step it up. Heck Joe Montana had the best season of his career with Steve Young chomping at the bits. Great move by the FO to bring in good competition at the QB position.
Back Page News
Even if Harbaugh does not officially entertain competition at qb, he is. Lets be honest if one of the qbs smokes Alex consistently in practice, He would be hard pressed not to open it up.

Originally posted by excelsior:
Is this not Troy Smith 2.0? Troy Smith was cut by BALT after three years of backup duty. Baalke signed him and some of you thought we had picked up an overlooked treasure. Well, we saw how that turned out.

Twoyears later, and Ballke's at it again. JJ is a four year backup and is cut loose by TB. I looked at TB's roster. After Josh Freeman, they have Rudy Carpenter and Brett Ratliff (who?) as Freman's backup QBs , in preference to JJ. How much of an endorsement is that? To me, the evidence is that he is a camp arm, not much more.

He wasn't cut
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Barrows

The Josh Johnson signing confirms two things: 1.) Jim Harbaugh loves competition. 2.) The 49ers aren't committed to A Smith long term.

JJ said that Jim told him he wasn't in competition with AS for the starting job. Looks more like he wanted a competitior for Kaep/Tolzien.
Good Signing.

1) He's a harbaugh guy, and knows what harbaugh is trying to do
2) He's going to push QB
3) He signs for a cheap price
Originally posted by excelsior:

Definitely not Troy Smith 2.0. Harbaugh is very familiar with JJ since he coached him in college, and got great production out of him. JJ is familiar with Harbaugh's system, which will make for a smooth transition. JJ has untapped potential, and SF is the perfect place for him to develop his talent with a coach he loves playing for. He is about 3&1/2 inches taller than Troy, is much faster, has a better arm, and isn't a nutcase. This signing gets a huge .
Originally posted by okdkid:
The #49ers have signed QB Josh Johnson to a two-year deal, per a league source.

per Eric Branch via Twitter

Career Numbers for Josh Johnson:

Completions: 96
Attempts: 177
Comp. %: 54.2%
Pass. TD: 5
Int: 10
QB Rate.: 57.7
Rush. Att: 37
Rush Yds: 254
Rush TDs: 0
Fumbles: 8

NFL.com lists him as 6'3", 205 lbs.

His combine results: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=61532&draftyear=2008&genpos=

40 yard dash: 4.53 seconds

another stat: 0-5 as a starter
Share 49ersWebzone