There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by zoos:
Why I prefer Alex over Peyton...

"Be careful, 49ers fans. Getting excited about Manning's possible 49er employment is understandable. But personally, I'm iffy on the prospect. An older Brett Favre, great as he had been, never managed to lead the New York Jets or Minnesota Vikings to a Super Bowl. An older Joe Montana, fabulous as he had been, never took the Kansas City Chiefs there, either. An older Johnny Unitas, legendary as he was, could not get the San Diego Chargers to the big game. An older Joe Namath, fantastic as he was, didn't make the Los Angeles Rams into a champion.

Be careful. Need I continue? There's only one such example I can recall that semi-succeeded. An older Kurt Wartner did quarterback the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl . . . where they lost after Warner fumbled the ball away late in the game. I guess the 49ers would take that at this point. Still, given the performance of veteran quarterbacks past 35 years old, the odds are Manning wouldn't even get them that far."
- Mark Purdy

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_20190445/49ers-fans-need-be-careful-their-pursuit-peyton

I loved Peyton in his prime but as of now I'm not willing to spend that much on Manning. I'm more intrigued to see how well Alex would do in his 2nd year in the same system. If he doesn't produce, we still have 2 talented qbs behind him in Kaepernick and Tolzien who are ready and willing to take over.

Peyton Manning seems more in his prime than any of those others

So was Montana the last year he played for us. He got the mini tryout against the Lions on Monday night and looked great to me but then he was gone.

I'm sad now thinking about that.

Yeah Montana was the only guy I think we can really make this comparison with.

In terms of where they were at physically I think Peyton and Montana compare well. I also believe the Chiefs and Niners of their respective time compare but the 11' Niners have the clear edge.

Bottom line, this would be the best chance for that Franchise QB to break the 2nd team Championship barrier
[ Edited by danimal on Mar 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM ]
we sign this puto yet?
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
A 28 year old Alex Smith will be comparable in production to a 36 year old Peyton Manning and will cost less than half the price. And if he backslides, why did we just trade picks to move up for Kaepernick? I thought the whole plan with the front office was that they were not trying to capture lightning in a bottle, but were building for a long, sustained run. Overpaying for Manning seems a little impulsive for a team as solid as the Niners. Manning is overrated at this point in his career. There, I said it.

Then why offer Alex a contract at all? Alex for three years or Manning for three years? A just comparing Alex's production to Mamming's is laughable.

Your response is incomprehensible. At 36 years of age, and after several neck surgeries, Manning is over the hill. At this point in his career he's a marginal upgrade over Alex Smith coming into his prime years, given age and health. Prime v. Prime, Manning is clearly the better player and one of the greats. But Manning was declining before his injury. He certainly looked like no Superman when the Niners confused and pressured him all day in 2010. He is not worth mortgaging the future for and it would be a mistake. This whole story is total media generated hyperbole that Manning and his agent, Condon, are lapping up because it will drive his price throught the stratosphere.
alex all the way..do people forget we were 13-3 last year..a fumble away from the superbowl..manning gonna cost about 18 million a year, if we sign him then say goodbye to alot of our good players in years to come.also for the 1st time in forever we have carryover to the next year, lets build on it and get kaepernick ready to take over
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Everybody should vote for Alex, cause voting for Peyton might hurt Alex's feelings.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏ @espn_nfcwest

Question for Tom Condon, who represents both. RT: @CShaw23: @espn_nfcwest What are chances SF misses on Peyton and Smith signs elsewhere?
so what if that happens? I doubt any other team will pay or offer what the 49ers have on the table for Alex Smith. If anything its way to much.

if it happens...we have a Kap starting, is that the better alternative? I wouldn't put it past Pete to offer Alex something to hurt us.

This.

In that scenario Alex is a Seahawk.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Everybody should vote for Alex, cause voting for Peyton might hurt Alex's feelings.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏ @espn_nfcwest

Question for Tom Condon, who represents both. RT: @CShaw23: @espn_nfcwest What are chances SF misses on Peyton and Smith signs elsewhere?
so what if that happens? I doubt any other team will pay or offer what the 49ers have on the table for Alex Smith. If anything its way to much.

if it happens...we have a Kap starting, is that the better alternative? I wouldn't put it past Pete to offer Alex something to hurt us.

I think Pete is not going to offer Alex Smith the $$$ the 49ers are. And what makes you think Alex Smith would want to go up the Seattle and have to face our defense two times a season? Alex Smiths best bet is to wait and see what happens before he makes a move.
I voted for Alex
[ Edited by 94605NiNer on Mar 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,979
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
I just don't see Alex Smith having another season like he had in 2011. This season is going to be harder on him. That being said our defense is good enough to take us to the playoffs, once we get there is Alex Smith going to be good enough to get us into the super bowl? Not so sure about that, Manning on the other hand could be GREAT with the 49ers for 3 or 4 years with the defense we have and another WR and a few better O-Line Men.

lol, and what makes you think we'll accomplish that when Manning is asking for 25 million a year?
Lack of knowledge makes him think that. These guys still think we're in the days of Eddie D. paying anyone and everyone whatever they want. Our payroll was so far beyond every other team it was ridiculous.

Let's all say it together.... SALARY CAP!!!

I bet I have more knowledge then you, that being said, the 49ers can make the numbers work, Manning will get whatever he wants from any team he wants to sign with. Thats the way it works in pro sports with the superstars. The 49ers have a great defense, the offense needs huge help. Manning fills most of that huge help......
If you say so... LOL

you keep saying Salary Cap, do you have any idea that it can be raised each and every year? It could be $200 million in a few years.....Manning will go to whatever team he picks and whatever team that is will be able to find a way to sign him. If the 49ers are the lucky team they will be fine in the seasons to come and find a way to make the numbers work. The team will not fall apart due to then getting Manning...LOL to you!
It could be raised to $1 billion, let's pay him $100 million per year!!!

If we don't sign Manning it will not be over money, it will be that Manning picks another team. Any NFL team could find a way to get the dollars worked out even the skins.....

You obviously do not know more than me. Or anyone else on this forum. Everyone here knows this is ALL about the money dude. What are you smoking right now?

If Manning is willing to play for less, he'll be a 49er. If he wants a 5 year $90 million deal with $60 million in the first two years, it won't be in SF. We can't make that happen.

Perhaps you need AB to teach you a lesson...

I don't need AB or you, Its not all about money with Manning, hes going to get his money no matter who gets him, Jimmy Har would not have made the trip with Roman and doctors if they could not sign Manning. You need to stop. If the 49ers could not afford him they would never have wasted anytime on him and pissed off Alex Smith. You need to stop thinking that we can't afford him because the 49ers can. what part of that don't you understand??

What part of we only have $16 million of cap space this year available to sign FA's do YOU not understand?

And "piss off" Smith? Lol come on man. These guys are professional athletes, not babies. This is the business side, they're used to dealing with this.


We could easily get to 30 mil under the cap by changing the Base salaries of Vernon, Justin, Carlos McDonald and Brooks to a bonus.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
I just don't see Alex Smith having another season like he had in 2011. This season is going to be harder on him. That being said our defense is good enough to take us to the playoffs, once we get there is Alex Smith going to be good enough to get us into the super bowl? Not so sure about that, Manning on the other hand could be GREAT with the 49ers for 3 or 4 years with the defense we have and another WR and a few better O-Line Men.

lol, and what makes you think we'll accomplish that when Manning is asking for 25 million a year?
Lack of knowledge makes him think that. These guys still think we're in the days of Eddie D. paying anyone and everyone whatever they want. Our payroll was so far beyond every other team it was ridiculous.

Let's all say it together.... SALARY CAP!!!

I bet I have more knowledge then you, that being said, the 49ers can make the numbers work, Manning will get whatever he wants from any team he wants to sign with. Thats the way it works in pro sports with the superstars. The 49ers have a great defense, the offense needs huge help. Manning fills most of that huge help......
If you say so... LOL

you keep saying Salary Cap, do you have any idea that it can be raised each and every year? It could be $200 million in a few years.....Manning will go to whatever team he picks and whatever team that is will be able to find a way to sign him. If the 49ers are the lucky team they will be fine in the seasons to come and find a way to make the numbers work. The team will not fall apart due to then getting Manning...LOL to you!
It could be raised to $1 billion, let's pay him $100 million per year!!!

If we don't sign Manning it will not be over money, it will be that Manning picks another team. Any NFL team could find a way to get the dollars worked out even the skins.....

You obviously do not know more than me. Or anyone else on this forum. Everyone here knows this is ALL about the money dude. What are you smoking right now?

If Manning is willing to play for less, he'll be a 49er. If he wants a 5 year $90 million deal with $60 million in the first two years, it won't be in SF. We can't make that happen.

Perhaps you need AB to teach you a lesson...

I don't need AB or you, Its not all about money with Manning, hes going to get his money no matter who gets him, Jimmy Har would not have made the trip with Roman and doctors if they could not sign Manning. You need to stop. If the 49ers could not afford him they would never have wasted anytime on him and pissed off Alex Smith. You need to stop thinking that we can't afford him because the 49ers can. what part of that don't you understand??

What part of we only have $16 million of cap space this year available to sign FA's do YOU not understand?

And "piss off" Smith? Lol come on man. These guys are professional athletes, not babies. This is the business side, they're used to dealing with this.

Its more then $16 mil and I am sure Alex Smith is not very happy right now. Its human nature. Trust me Alex Smith is not feeling much Love right now from the 49ers. Just look at what happened in Denver with Cutler.......I think he was a pro athlete and a good QB as well. Business is Business, but no many QB's are used to what Alex Smith is going thru right now after a very good season and a NFC Championship Game winning 13 games and only 5 Int season. Alex Smith is pissed

Read - http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/98000-2012-49ers-salaries-updated-recent-signings/

We have $19 million in space, but need about $3 million to sign our drafted players. I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure that leaves us with $16 million.

Comparing Alex Smith's character to Jay Cutler's is laughable. Are you even a fan of the Niners? Been following Smith's career? He's been through far worse than the Niners showing interest in another QB.
33% of niner fans are an embarrassment.
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
alex all the way..do people forget we were 13-3 last year..a fumble away from the superbowl..manning gonna cost about 18 million a year, if we sign him then say goodbye to alot of our good players in years to come.also for the 1st time in forever we have carryover to the next year, lets build on it and get kaepernick ready to take over

OR. We win the SB, and are odds on favorites to win it again. The beginning of a dynasty talks begin which leads where it ALWAYS LEADS. A, our coffers will flow, the capoligists will go to work and we will operate with a huge salary base......B, in addition to that, WE WILL START GETTING THE WINNING TEAM DISCOUNTS

In the NFL it is really hard to get a dynasty started, but if you can, it is equally as hard to f**k it up once it starts because now all the best players want to play for you at 60% of their value
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
A 28 year old Alex Smith will be comparable in production to a 36 year old Peyton Manning and will cost less than half the price. And if he backslides, why did we just trade picks to move up for Kaepernick? I thought the whole plan with the front office was that they were not trying to capture lightning in a bottle, but were building for a long, sustained run. Overpaying for Manning seems a little impulsive for a team as solid as the Niners. Manning is overrated at this point in his career. There, I said it.

Then why offer Alex a contract at all? Alex for three years or Manning for three years? A just comparing Alex's production to Mamming's is laughable.

Your response is incomprehensible. At 36 years of age, and after several neck surgeries, Manning is over the hill. At this point in his career he's a marginal upgrade over Alex Smith coming into his prime years, given age and health. Prime v. Prime, Manning is clearly the better player and one of the greats. But Manning was declining before his injury. He certainly looked like no Superman when the Niners confused and pressured him all day in 2010. He is not worth mortgaging the future for and it would be a mistake. This whole story is total media generated hyperbole that Manning and his agent, Condon, are lapping up because it will drive his price throught the stratosphere.

Although I'm ok with signing Manning for the right price, I'm sympathic to this position.
With me being a huge Alex supporter, this was hard to pick between. But I still picked Manning. Hard to pass up on a legend like him.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
alex all the way..do people forget we were 13-3 last year..a fumble away from the superbowl..manning gonna cost about 18 million a year, if we sign him then say goodbye to alot of our good players in years to come.also for the 1st time in forever we have carryover to the next year, lets build on it and get kaepernick ready to take over

OR. We win the SB, and are odds on favorites to win it again. The beginning of a dynasty talks begin which leads where it ALWAYS LEADS. A, our coffers will flow, the capoligists will go to work and we will operate with a huge salary base......B, in addition to that, WE WILL START GETTING THE WINNING TEAM DISCOUNTS

In the NFL it is really hard to get a dynasty started, but if you can, it is equally as hard to f**k it up once it starts because now all the best players want to play for you at 60% of their value

I dont' see a reason why the dynasty can't start with Smith.