Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by danimal:
DON'T BE AFRAID OF GREATNESS NINER FANS!!!

Apparently we love mediocrity.

NFC championship game is mediocrity....?

The QB play was, Im not talking about team performance.
Please. You're better than that comment. That kind of statement makes you look silly.

Is it wrong to improve the offense.

no, that's why we are drafting WR's...remember the biggest compalint everybody had about the team
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I just don't see Alex Smith having another season like he had in 2011. This season is going to be harder on him. That being said our defense is good enough to take us to the playoffs, once we get there is Alex Smith going to be good enough to get us into the super bowl? Not so sure about that, Manning on the other hand could be GREAT with the 49ers for 3 or 4 years with the defense we have and another WR and a few better O-Line Men.

lol, and what makes you think we'll accomplish that when Manning is asking for 25 million a year?
Lack of knowledge makes him think that. These guys still think we're in the days of Eddie D. paying anyone and everyone whatever they want. Our payroll was so far beyond every other team it was ridiculous.

Let's all say it together.... SALARY CAP!!!

I bet I have more knowledge then you, that being said, the 49ers can make the numbers work, Manning will get whatever he wants from any team he wants to sign with. Thats the way it works in pro sports with the superstars. The 49ers have a great defense, the offense needs huge help. Manning fills most of that huge help......
If you say so... LOL

you keep saying Salary Cap, do you have any idea that it can be raised each and every year? It could be $200 million in a few years.....Manning will go to whatever team he picks and whatever team that is will be able to find a way to sign him. If the 49ers are the lucky team they will be fine in the seasons to come and find a way to make the numbers work. The team will not fall apart due to then getting Manning...LOL to you!
It could be raised to $1 billion, let's pay him $100 million per year!!!

If we don't sign Manning it will not be over money, it will be that Manning picks another team. Any NFL team could find a way to get the dollars worked out even the skins.....

You obviously do not know more than me. Or anyone else on this forum. Everyone here knows this is ALL about the money dude. What are you smoking right now?

If Manning is willing to play for less, he'll be a 49er. If he wants a 5 year $90 million deal with $60 million in the first two years, it won't be in SF. We can't make that happen.

Perhaps you need AB to teach you a lesson...

I don't need AB or you, Its not all about money with Manning, hes going to get his money no matter who gets him, Jimmy Har would not have made the trip with Roman and doctors if they could not sign Manning. You need to stop. If the 49ers could not afford him they would never have wasted anytime on him and pissed off Alex Smith. You need to stop thinking that we can't afford him because the 49ers can. what part of that don't you understand??

What part of we only have $16 million of cap space this year available to sign FA's do YOU not understand?

And "piss off" Smith? Lol come on man. These guys are professional athletes, not babies. This is the business side, they're used to dealing with this.

Its more then $16 mil and I am sure Alex Smith is not very happy right now. Its human nature. Trust me Alex Smith is not feeling much Love right now from the 49ers. Just look at what happened in Denver with Cutler.......I think he was a pro athlete and a good QB as well. Business is Business, but no many QB's are used to what Alex Smith is going thru right now after a very good season and a NFC Championship Game winning 13 games and only 5 Int season. Alex Smith is pissed

Read - http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/98000-2012-49ers-salaries-updated-recent-signings/

We have $19 million in space, but need about $3 million to sign our drafted players. I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure that leaves us with $16 million.

Comparing Alex Smith's character to Jay Cutler's is laughable. Are you even a fan of the Niners? Been following Smith's career? He's been through far worse than the Niners showing interest in another QB.
We could easily get to 30 mil under the cap by changing the Base salaries of Vernon, Justin, Carlos McDonald and Brooks to a bonus.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Please. You're better than that comment. That kind of statement makes you look silly.

no, that's why we are drafting WR's...remember the biggest compalint everybody had about the team

A great QB makes average WR look better.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Everybody should vote for Alex, cause voting for Peyton might hurt Alex's feelings.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏ @espn_nfcwest

Question for Tom Condon, who represents both. RT: @CShaw23: @espn_nfcwest What are chances SF misses on Peyton and Smith signs elsewhere?
so what if that happens? I doubt any other team will pay or offer what the 49ers have on the table for Alex Smith. If anything its way to much.

if it happens...we have a Kap starting, is that the better alternative? I wouldn't put it past Pete to offer Alex something to hurt us.

I think Pete is not going to offer Alex Smith the $$$ the 49ers are. And what makes you think Alex Smith would want to go up the Seattle and have to face our defense two times a season? Alex Smiths best bet is to wait and see what happens before he makes a move.

Well what you think and what actually happen are different. What is the best way to cripple that div champs...take the QB away. Why would Alex, because of years of abuse and getting dicked over why not return the favor.

So is losing Manning and Smith worth the risk...because the Hawks become the new favorite to win the Div...and losing to a Smith led Hawks team would be f**king horrible to watch.

Alex has not been dicked over by anyone, he has been paid HUGE $$$ for playing like sh$#. He has had 2 okay seasons, and 5 very bad ones, the 49ers have kissed his a$$ and done everything possible to help him, I know that Nolan kinda lost faith in him but nolan also picked him 1st and made him rich. Alex Smith might end up having a crap season, if that happens and Manning takes Denver to a superbowl, then you will see some crying.
You obviously take Peyton if all things are equal.

The only concerns are:

Health - which seems to not be a huge issue right now, but we wouldn't really know until the season got going.

Age - He will eventually get older and missed a season with rust.

Money - There is a big difference between Manning at 30 million and 60 mil guaranteed.

Kaep - If the team thinks Kaep will be ready in a few years then Manning makes sense. If it is up in the air, then you might have something long term with Alex.

It seems like most of those check out, but if the money is not good then it won't happen.
Imagine what you could buy with Peyton Manning's contract and cap hit...Thats like Calvin Johnson or Mario Williams. The thing is we brought back the entire D and Peyton can make Moss look like Optimus Prime.

I have always been a fan of Alex...but the truth is that there is no better place to use this cap room. A Super Bowl winning chip on the shoulder read any defense leader will change our team. Alex or Peyton...we still win the Super Bowl. But we could go for a perfect season with Peyton Manning and Jim Harbaugh working together. We all dreaming about this before last year.

A great QB makes average WR look better.

I love this theory but do you have any proof?

What great QB's have a roster filled with crap?

And great WR's perform every year and that's been the ongoing problem. Alex to Vernon was solid.....Crabtree much?
Alex has not been dicked over by anyone, he has been paid HUGE $$$ for playing like sh$#. He has had 2 okay seasons, and 5 very bad ones, the 49ers have kissed his a$$ and done everything possible to help him, I know that Nolan kinda lost faith in him but nolan also picked him 1st and made him rich. Alex Smith might end up having a crap season, if that happens and Manning takes Denver to a superbowl, then you will see some crying.

And this proves you know absolutely nothing.

No. I was refering to your comment about Smith's QB play being mediocre. We both know that he played well last year and if not for a special teams play we might have won a SuperBowl.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I love this theory but do you have any proof?

What great QB's have a roster filled with crap?

And great WR's perform every year and that's been the ongoing problem. Alex to Vernon was solid.....Crabtree much?

Do you have any proof that Manning wont be better than Smith ?

Folks. This is nothing against Alex. How is this poll even this close? Hall of Fame QB right now compared a guy who hasn't even made a probowl. I like ALex and what he has done but come on. Even with Peyton's contract and risky neck... Anyone voting for Alex I assume never witnessed are glory days with Montana and Young. We used to always be the best of the best, especially at QB.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Everybody should vote for Alex, cause voting for Peyton might hurt Alex's feelings.

Question for Tom Condon, who represents both. RT: @CShaw23: @espn_nfcwest What are chances SF misses on Peyton and Smith signs elsewhere?
so what if that happens? I doubt any other team will pay or offer what the 49ers have on the table for Alex Smith. If anything its way to much.

if it happens...we have a Kap starting, is that the better alternative? I wouldn't put it past Pete to offer Alex something to hurt us.

I think Pete is not going to offer Alex Smith the $$$ the 49ers are. And what makes you think Alex Smith would want to go up the Seattle and have to face our defense two times a season? Alex Smiths best bet is to wait and see what happens before he makes a move.

Well what you think and what actually happen are different. What is the best way to cripple that div champs...take the QB away. Why would Alex, because of years of abuse and getting dicked over why not return the favor.

So is losing Manning and Smith worth the risk...because the Hawks become the new favorite to win the Div...and losing to a Smith led Hawks team would be f**king horrible to watch.

Correction: He's had 1 bad season, 3 ok ones in bad situations, 2 injured seasons (with much of his absence being due to Nolan's abuse) and 1 very good season. He's improved every season he was healthy.

To be fair - even if Alex did make a bunch of money, if the organization mislead him at all during these negotiations then he was "dicked over". The other issue that I see here is that Harbaugh will lose a ton of respect in the locker room if this really has gone down like some of the media is portraying it. He will lose a ton of credibility and the ability to lead his football team with honor.

It is a business for sure, but for players being able to trust your coaching staff makes a big difference. the Niners had such a great team chemistry last season because everyone bought in from 1-53. If you break that up in a shady way (again not knowing at this point that it was shady at all) then you risk losing the respect of those players when things get tough.
Just curious but what if Peyton signs with Denver let's say, and Alex signs somewhere else? Who's our starting QB, KAP?
Interesting thought noe isn't it? I;m not advocating in any way for any of the QB's as I see this as a crapshoot that will have to play itself out, and we are the captive audience sitting on pins and needles wondering who will lead us to victory in the SB!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Peyton Manning 35 year old, injured, bad OL, new system and WRs vs Alex Smith younger, mobile, knows the system... AT THE SAME COST.... Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning at 5 years 90 million vs Alex Smith at 3 years 30 million........ Alex Smith

This
Wikipedia: H ( named aitch, plural aitches, in some dialects haitch (see below), is the eighth letter in the ISO basic Latin alphabet.
Share 49ersWebzone