There are 227 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

• zoos
  • Veteran
Why I prefer Alex over Peyton...

"Be careful, 49ers fans. Getting excited about Manning's possible 49er employment is understandable. But personally, I'm iffy on the prospect. An older Brett Favre, great as he had been, never managed to lead the New York Jets or Minnesota Vikings to a Super Bowl. An older Joe Montana, fabulous as he had been, never took the Kansas City Chiefs there, either. An older Johnny Unitas, legendary as he was, could not get the San Diego Chargers to the big game. An older Joe Namath, fantastic as he was, didn't make the Los Angeles Rams into a champion.

Be careful. Need I continue? There's only one such example I can recall that semi-succeeded. An older Kurt Wartner did quarterback the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl . . . where they lost after Warner fumbled the ball away late in the game. I guess the 49ers would take that at this point. Still, given the performance of veteran quarterbacks past 35 years old, the odds are Manning wouldn't even get them that far."
- Mark Purdy

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_20190445/49ers-fans-need-be-careful-their-pursuit-peyton

I loved Peyton in his prime but as of now I'm not willing to spend that much on Manning. I'm more intrigued to see how well Alex would do in his 2nd year in the same system. If he doesn't produce, we still have 2 talented qbs behind him in Kaepernick and Tolzien who are ready and willing to take over.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I just don't see Alex Smith having another season like he had in 2011. This season is going to be harder on him. That being said our defense is good enough to take us to the playoffs, once we get there is Alex Smith going to be good enough to get us into the super bowl? Not so sure about that, Manning on the other hand could be GREAT with the 49ers for 3 or 4 years with the defense we have and another WR and a few better O-Line Men.

lol, and what makes you think we'll accomplish that when Manning is asking for 25 million a year?
Lack of knowledge makes him think that. These guys still think we're in the days of Eddie D. paying anyone and everyone whatever they want. Our payroll was so far beyond every other team it was ridiculous.

Let's all say it together.... SALARY CAP!!!

I bet I have more knowledge then you, that being said, the 49ers can make the numbers work, Manning will get whatever he wants from any team he wants to sign with. Thats the way it works in pro sports with the superstars. The 49ers have a great defense, the offense needs huge help. Manning fills most of that huge help......
If you say so... LOL

you keep saying Salary Cap, do you have any idea that it can be raised each and every year? It could be $200 million in a few years.....Manning will go to whatever team he picks and whatever team that is will be able to find a way to sign him. If the 49ers are the lucky team they will be fine in the seasons to come and find a way to make the numbers work. The team will not fall apart due to then getting Manning...LOL to you!
It could be raised to $1 billion, let's pay him $100 million per year!!!

If we don't sign Manning it will not be over money, it will be that Manning picks another team. Any NFL team could find a way to get the dollars worked out even the skins.....
1/3 for alex smith? Peyton is old and has injuries, but alex has one good year. Even if Alex's ceiling is higher than what we have seen, that is still worse than a 36-year old peyton manning. This is madness!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gage:
Better overall qb? Manning.
Better qb for our team? Alex

One of the dumbest commentsI've ever seen on this forum... No bias, it just makes no sense at all.
Originally posted by zoos:

"Be careful, 49ers fans. Getting excited about Manning's possible 49er employment is understandable. But personally, I'm iffy on the prospect. An older Brett Favre, great as he had been, never managed to lead the New York Jets or Minnesota Vikings to a Super Bowl. An older Joe Montana, fabulous as he had been, never took the Kansas City Chiefs there, either. An older Johnny Unitas, legendary as he was, could not get the San Diego Chargers to the big game. An older Joe Namath, fantastic as he was, didn't make the Los Angeles Rams into a champion.

Be careful. Need I continue? There's only one such example I can recall that semi-succeeded. An older Kurt Wartner did quarterback the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl . . . where they lost after Warner fumbled the ball away late in the game. I guess the 49ers would take that at this point. Still, given the performance of veteran quarterbacks past 35 years old, the odds are Manning wouldn't even get them that far."
- Mark Purdy

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_20190445/49ers-fans-need-be-careful-their-pursuit-peyton

I loved Peyton in his prime but as of now I'm not willing to spend that much on Manning. I'm more intrigued to see how well Alex would do in his 2nd year in the same system. If he doesn't produce, we still have 2 talented qbs behind him in Kaepernick and Tolzien who are ready and willing to take over.

Peyton Manning seems more in his prime than any of those others
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I just don't see Alex Smith having another season like he had in 2011. This season is going to be harder on him. That being said our defense is good enough to take us to the playoffs, once we get there is Alex Smith going to be good enough to get us into the super bowl? Not so sure about that, Manning on the other hand could be GREAT with the 49ers for 3 or 4 years with the defense we have and another WR and a few better O-Line Men.

lol, and what makes you think we'll accomplish that when Manning is asking for 25 million a year?
Lack of knowledge makes him think that. These guys still think we're in the days of Eddie D. paying anyone and everyone whatever they want. Our payroll was so far beyond every other team it was ridiculous.

I bet I have more knowledge then you, that being said, the 49ers can make the numbers work, Manning will get whatever he wants from any team he wants to sign with. Thats the way it works in pro sports with the superstars. The 49ers have a great defense, the offense needs huge help. Manning fills most of that huge help......
If you say so... LOL

you keep saying Salary Cap, do you have any idea that it can be raised each and every year? It could be $200 million in a few years.....Manning will go to whatever team he picks and whatever team that is will be able to find a way to sign him. If the 49ers are the lucky team they will be fine in the seasons to come and find a way to make the numbers work. The team will not fall apart due to then getting Manning...LOL to you!

If we don't sign Manning it will not be over money, it will be that Manning picks another team. Any NFL team could find a way to get the dollars worked out even the skins.....

You obviously do not know more than me. Or anyone else on this forum. Everyone here knows this is ALL about the money dude. What are you smoking right now?

If Manning is willing to play for less, he'll be a 49er. If he wants a 5 year $90 million deal with $60 million in the first two years, it won't be in SF. We can't make that happen.

Perhaps you need AB to teach you a lesson...
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

- Mark Purdy

Joe and Brett did go to a championship game. Those teams might not have even made the playoffs without them. We made it to the championship game with defence, ST and two good drives by Alex (Gregg Williams playing zero coverage help though) We were 29th in passing last year!! Why are we debating this?

If you say so... LOL

You obviously do not know more than me. Or anyone else on this forum. Everyone here knows this is ALL about the money dude. What are you smoking right now?

If Manning is willing to play for less, he'll be a 49er. If he wants a 5 year $90 million deal with $60 million in the first two years, it won't be in SF. We can't make that happen.

I don't need AB or you, Its not all about money with Manning, hes going to get his money no matter who gets him, Jimmy Har would not have made the trip with Roman and doctors if they could not sign Manning. You need to stop. If the 49ers could not afford him they would never have wasted anytime on him and pissed off Alex Smith. You need to stop thinking that we can't afford him because the 49ers can. what part of that don't you understand??
Everybody should vote for Alex, cause voting for Peyton might hurt Alex's feelings.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Everybody should vote for Alex, cause voting for Peyton might hurt Alex's feelings.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏ @espn_nfcwest

Question for Tom Condon, who represents both. RT: @CShaw23: @espn_nfcwest What are chances SF misses on Peyton and Smith signs elsewhere?

Originally posted by danimal:

- Mark Purdy

Peyton Manning seems more in his prime than any of those others

So was Montana the last year he played for us. He got the mini tryout against the Lions on Monday night and looked great to me but then he was gone.

I'm sad now thinking about that.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

If you say so... LOL

I don't need AB or you, Its not all about money with Manning, hes going to get his money no matter who gets him, Jimmy Har would not have made the trip with Roman and doctors if they could not sign Manning. You need to stop. If the 49ers could not afford him they would never have wasted anytime on him and pissed off Alex Smith. You need to stop thinking that we can't afford him because the 49ers can. what part of that don't you understand??

What part of we only have $16 million of cap space this year available to sign FA's do YOU not understand?

And "piss off" Smith? Lol come on man. These guys are professional athletes, not babies. This is the business side, they're used to dealing with this.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Question for Tom Condon, who represents both. RT: @CShaw23: @espn_nfcwest What are chances SF misses on Peyton and Smith signs elsewhere?
so what if that happens? I doubt any other team will pay or offer what the 49ers have on the table for Alex Smith. If anything its way to much.
Originally posted by jreff22:

so what if that happens? I doubt any other team will pay or offer what the 49ers have on the table for Alex Smith. If anything its way to much.

if it happens...we have a Kap starting, is that the better alternative? I wouldn't put it past Pete to offer Alex something to hurt us.

If you say so... LOL

What part of we only have $16 million of cap space this year available to sign FA's do YOU not understand?

And "piss off" Smith? Lol come on man. These guys are professional athletes, not babies. This is the business side, they're used to dealing with this.

Its more then $16 mil and I am sure Alex Smith is not very happy right now. Its human nature. Trust me Alex Smith is not feeling much Love right now from the 49ers. Just look at what happened in Denver with Cutler.......I think he was a pro athlete and a good QB as well. Business is Business, but no many QB's are used to what Alex Smith is going thru right now after a very good season and a NFC Championship Game winning 13 games and only 5 Int season. Alex Smith is pissed
Share 49ersWebzone