LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

In his last game at the Stick BY was carried off the field by his team mates. Never saw that before or since. That said, they should carry JS off too, his last game.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
In his last game at the Stick BY was carried off the field by his team mates. Never saw that before or since. That said, they should carry JS off too, his last game.

Naw, he should run straight towards John York and sack his ass.
Pretty similar career and great character players. Played their asses off even when the team wasn't so good. BY won his ring at the beginning of his career. Hopefully JS can win one towards the end of his. This team has been really good with great talent with great character guys and that's a credit to the front office and coaches.

They need to get a ring next year for guys like Frank and Justin Smith.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Bryant Young was my favorite player of the 90's. I think BY was a better DT and Justin is a better DE. I remember BY was averaging like 5 sacks his last few years while Justin in the same 3-4 end position is getting 6 plus. So to me Justin Smith is having a bigger impact in the 3-4 then BY whom was solid for the 49ers in the 4 man front.
Smith hands down, although the talent around BY sucked
Both of these guys are damn good football players. This question is another of these that cant be answered. Too many variables to answer the question. Football is different today then it was when BY played. The opposition is different, stadiums are different, the weather plays a part, make up of the teams are different, coaches and schemes are different, the list of variables goes on and on. Stats mean crap when trying to compare players of different eras. I watched both of these players and too answer the question who is better I will say they both are. Bad answer to a bad question.
My gut and heart said BY, but the stats seem to give Smith the edge. I'd take either one and have no second thoughts. Both are HOF caliber IMHO.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Justin Smith > B. Young

I love Young but Smith is far more dominate.
I love BY but Justin Smith just keeps getting better. If I had too choose between Smith going into his 12th year or BY going into his 12th year then I'm picking Smith. Justin Smith is the reason the niners only need to rush 4 on passing downs. He demands double teams constantly and comes on strong in the 4th quarter while playing virtually all defensive snaps. He is also the most versatile defensive player on the team. BY was still very good at this point in his career but he wasn't the run stuffing, o-line collapsing force Justing Smith is at this point in his career. It's kind of silly comparing careers when one player still looks to have some very good years to come but I think we will all be saying Smith had the better career when his career is over.
This is like asking who is better, Drew Brees or Tom Brady. They BOTH are stud qb's and make others better around them. Bryant Young and Justin Smith BOTH are stud players, and make others better around them. They are in the elite class and both could potentially be hall of famers.

Kind of switch careers, as BY started as a 4-3 DT, and JS a 4-3 DE. Then later BT played a hybrid 3-4 DE and JS a 3-4 DE. Both are selfless classy players

Originally posted by Chief:
Justin Smith > B. Young

I love Young but Smith is far more dominate.

BS.

I sometimes think people forget how good he was before Kenny Norton broke his leg.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
So far BY... One of the ultimate team players. I used to enjoy the speeches he gave to the teams. I had tears in his last home game against Tampa while being carried off the field. At least he got a ring.

this!
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
BY and its not that close
Just ridiculous to say. BY - 4 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro. Smith - 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro.

And the rings argument is another awful argument. This isn't golf, this isn't tennis, this isn't badminton. Football is a team sport.
thank you!
Man it's close ... BY a tackle & JS is an end... Otherwise we splitting hairs!!
Oh yeah & By's rookie Year he was all world. Was more important player that deion & helped us win a title... Nevertheless i luv em both!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone