LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 164 users in the forums

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by andes14:
BY because he was a monster from day 1. Took Smith a while, but then again he was also misused as a 4-3 d-end. Still consider him on the Mt. Rushmore so to speak of all time niner defenders along with BY, Lott, and Willis though.

BYs rookie year 6 sacks 45 tackles
Justin 8.5 sacks 41 tackles 2 INTs,

Again you prove that you dont know what you are talking about

True. He was pretty productive for the Bengals.
How many rings for smith... wait til it's over then judge. For me, since ALL of BY's plays were made as a Niner, I will have to go BY!
Bryant Young broke his leg like a little b***h, that would never happen to Justin Smith

END DEBATE
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Justin Smith is a better player... period

Bryant Young was a good player, one of my first favorite niners but Justin Smith is just better.

I agree. And it looks like the stats bear that out.

With three fewer years, Smith is already ahead in several categories. With even 3 more average years, Smith will surpass BY in every relevant statistic.

People just have a hard time admitting somebody is better than an "all-time great" even if the stats are there.

stats for a dlineman tell a portion of the story, for example sacks, if u get 12, thats less than 1 per game, theres many other plays (dozens per game infact) that tell the true story of whos better, i think by in his prime is slightly better than justin smith

BY won defensive rookie of the year and was good every year thereafter...an extra 2 sacks that year for Smith don't mean squat in the big picture.
If Smith stays healthy, he'll have the better career...
but Bryant Yong was severely injured, which I'm sure slowed him down, and so far Smith hasn't missed a game.

I'll never forget the game when Ken Norton Jr. broke Young's leg.
Gruesome and sad.

BY won defensive rookie of the year and was good every year thereafter...an extra 2 sacks that year for Smith don't mean squat in the big picture.

people get way too into sacks in my mind, its 1 play out of like 50 a game, and most players dont even get 1 per game
I love BY but hasn't Justin Smith played longer in a 3-4 scheme where he wouldn't have as many chances for sacks as BY did in a 4-3?
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
I love BY but hasn't Justin Smith played longer in a 3-4 scheme where he wouldn't have as many chances for sacks as BY did in a 4-3?

flawed arguement, we run plenty of 4 man fronts the past several years

Smith didnt start as slow as you suggest, Smith has been consistent in his production every year.

Originally posted by susweel:
BY was a better player but the talent around him was not so good.

LOL as he won a Superbowl
Bryant Young had the better career but I think Justin will overtake him. They are similar players, both great Niners.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
BY and its not that close

Lol
Just ridiculous to say. BY - 4 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro. Smith - 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro.

And the rings argument is another awful argument. This isn't golf, this isn't tennis, this isn't badminton. Football is a team sport.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Lol

lolz
Share 49ersWebzone