LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

BY. As much as I love Justin, he's a DE. He moves inside at times, but for alot of his career Justin was a really good DE who couldn't get the sack numbers you would like.

BY was a MONSTER in the middle and produced double digit sacks from the DT position.

Bottom line, you can't compare the stats because they played different positions. Even now, Justin is a DE-DT hybrid in a 3-4 while BY was a DT in a 4-3 his entire career.

Don't get me wrong tho....Justin was freakin' King Kong last year.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The "he has a ring" argument is idiotic.

By that logic, Bear Pascoe is a better TE than Vernon Davis.

I think anybody who isn't stuck in the past will admit that Justin Smith, at the very least, is on par with BY right now. And will easily surpass him as the undisputed most talented of the two in the next year or so. The stats are there, folks.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
BY and its not that close
Just ridiculous to say. BY - 4 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro. Smith - 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro.

And the rings argument is another awful argument. This isn't golf, this isn't tennis, this isn't badminton. Football is a team sport.

VERY different players at different positions.
Originally posted by okdkid:
The "he has a ring" argument is idiotic.

By that logic, Bear Pascoe is a better TE than Vernon Davis.

I think anybody who isn't stuck in the past will admit that Justin Smith, at the very least, is on par with BY right now. And will easily surpass him as the undisputed most talented of the two in the next year or so. The stats are there, folks.

LOL yep.

And Mario Manningham is better than Terrell Owens, Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino, etc.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Take that up with the person who made the poll, not me.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Take that up with the person who made the poll, not me.

I did...two posts earlier.
Well Justin Smith along with anyone who knows what matters in the game will tell you BY cuz he's got the jewlery.....but once JS gets his next year the debate will favor more towards JS IMHO......
Bryant Young won a super bowl. So im sure if you were to ask J Smith right now he would probably want Youngs career.
Its BY, 4 time Pro Bowler, 4 time All Pro, DROY, Comeback Player of the Year, Superbowl Winner, Multiple 10 sack seasons from the Defensive Tackle Position. Member of the All-Decade team.

The question was who had the better career, not who's the better player. And BY ad of this moment has had the better career though Justin still has some years to catch up.
[ Edited by TheGoldStandard on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM ]
I love Justin too, but I have to go with B.Y. IMO B.Y was every bit as good if not better than Warren Sapp. I remember back in the 90's Warren got all the pub while B.Y. was just as dominant. He is completely underrated outside of the Bay Area and should be in the H.O.F. as far as I'm concerned. He was the best DL in team history hands down. Maybe Justin can rise to a similar status, but he did start with the Bengals while B.Y. was a career 9er.

sorry doubble post.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM ]
BY wins for only wearing one uniform, the right uniform, our uniform!
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by andes14:
BY because he was a monster from day 1. Took Smith a while, but then again he was also misused as a 4-3 d-end. Still consider him on the Mt. Rushmore so to speak of all time niner defenders along with BY, Lott, and Willis though.

BYs rookie year 6 sacks 45 tackles
Justin 8.5 sacks 41 tackles 2 INTs,

Again you prove that you dont know what you are talking about

BY lined up as a 4-3 DT for a number of years. Sacks weren't really his main responsibility. And stop it with the personal stuff.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by andes14:
BY because he was a monster from day 1. Took Smith a while, but then again he was also misused as a 4-3 d-end. Still consider him on the Mt. Rushmore so to speak of all time niner defenders along with BY, Lott, and Willis though.

BYs rookie year 6 sacks 45 tackles
Justin 8.5 sacks 41 tackles 2 INTs,

Again you prove that you dont know what you are talking about

BY lined up as a 4-3 DT for a number of years. Sacks weren't really his main responsibility. And stop it with the personal stuff.

But did BY ever make 1st team all pro AND second team all pro in the same year?
BY had the better career IMO. I have to say the numbers surprised me. Justin would have earned his 1st SB ring this past season and would have made it a tough argument.........
Share 49ersWebzone