LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Pretty similar career and great character players. Played their asses off even when the team wasn't so good. BY won his ring at the beginning of his career. Hopefully JS can win one towards the end of his. This team has been really good with great talent with great character guys and that's a credit to the front office and coaches.

They need to get a ring next year for guys like Frank and Justin Smith.

This
dont know if its been said or not but 1 word sums it up
RINGS
B Young played LDT for most of his career. This is different from the position that Smith plays. Stats are apple and oranges...Now if you look at Young's last 3 years when he was playing the same role, he performed very well in comparison.

Smith is a great player, but I pick Young.
Smith needs a few more dominant years to be on the same level.
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
BY and its not that close
Just ridiculous to say. BY - 4 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro. Smith - 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro.

And the rings argument is another awful argument. This isn't golf, this isn't tennis, this isn't badminton. Football is a team sport.
thank you!

umm the question is who had a better career. BY has a ring in his career, Cowboy does not.
Just ridiculous to say. BY - 4 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro. Smith - 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 time 1st team All-Pro.

And the rings argument is another awful argument. This isn't golf, this isn't tennis, this isn't badminton. Football is a team sport.
thank you!

umm the question is who had a better career. BY has a ring in his career, Cowboy does not.

would you use the same argument marino against dilfer?
The ring argument, really? I can kinda see using that with quarterbacks but were comparing 2 D-linemen here people.

BY is one of my fav Niners of all time. But when all is said and done i think Justin will have had a better career. (Almost already has numbers wise)

Get outa here with the ring BS lol.
At this point in time, BY.

More Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl
"would you use the same argument marino against dilfer?"

You know what? Marino would trade his stats for Dilfer's ring any day of the week. I heard him say that some years back. Of course, now that he's a Hall of Famer, maybe he's changed his mind because Dilfer will never get close to the Hall. But, still. The ring means a lot to these guys.
As a DE
J Smith>>>>B Young
As a DT
B Young>J Smith

Overall Justin Smith got selected to the pro bowl as a DE and DT in the same year... And he should have won defensive player of the year!
I love BY but it's really not close

Originally posted by GNielsen:
"would you use the same argument marino against dilfer?"

You know what? Marino would trade his stats for Dilfer's ring any day of the week. I heard him say that some years back. Of course, now that he's a Hall of Famer, maybe he's changed his mind because Dilfer will never get close to the Hall. But, still. The ring means a lot to these guys.

Excellent point. Tired of people throwing the "ring" inot the argument. Takes an entire team, incl coaches, to get the ring, not just one D-lineman, or even QB for that matter.
who's got more all pro selections?
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
who's got more all pro selections?

are you assuming Smith is done being selected to all-pro teams? I think he has a couple left in him.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Bryant Young broke his leg like a little b***h, that would never happen to Justin Smith

END DEBATE

BY has a metal rod in his leg which makes him part cyborg. Call him a b***h again so he can kick a hole in your chest!

thank you!

would you use the same argument marino against dilfer?

Dan Marino has many, many more accolades than Dilfer.

BY has more pro-bowls, more all-pros, a DROY, Comeback Player of the Year, an All-Decade award AND the ring on his resume, thus a better career.
Share 49ersWebzone