There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We may trade Spencer

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/49ers-expected-to-allow-Spencer-to-seek-?blockID=652458&feedID=2800&awid=6494282577381336253-766

I think this is the dream scenario for us. We have some inventory - why cut for nothing (aside cap space) when we could potentially get a pick out of it?
Teams know we are gonna cut him, no reason for them to trade with us
it would be awesome if we could get something for him.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Teams know we are gonna cut him, no reason for them to trade with us

Dream killer

Originally posted by valrod33:
Teams know we are gonna cut him, no reason for them to trade with us

There are a lot of reasons.

1) Guarantee yourself a potential starting CB
2) Not get into a bidding war over him with other teams

Teams knew we were going to cut Taylor Mays and we still got a (supposed) 7th rounder out of him. Mays had youth but didn't have the resume of Spencer.

For a lot of teams, a starting or 3rd CB is worth a 5th-6th rounder.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,125
And three teams may want to acquire him:

Colts - Manusky is their DC
Falcons - Nolan is their DC
Vikings - Singletary is the LB Coach/Asst. to the HC

What do all three teams have in common? They need secondary help, especially the Falcons if they don't resign Grimes.

If you are one of those teams and your coach wants to take a flier on a proven commodity in their system, why not throw a 5th or 6th round pick on someone who will be able to start day 1.
Something just popped into my head.

What if Spencer was actually healthy all year, and Baalke/Harbaugh purposely didn't play him so he'd STAY healthy to up his trade value, knowing they had young cornerbacks for the future?
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Something just popped into my head.

What if Spencer was actually healthy all year, and Baalke/Harbaugh purposely didn't play him so he'd STAY healthy to up his trade value, knowing they had young cornerbacks for the future?

it was noted he wasnt active because he added no special teams value.
If we could get a 5ht or 6th round pick for him that would be nice
7th round pick come on down.
Originally posted by susweel:
7th round pick come on down.
and if im not mistaken if we cut him we take a cap hit. if he's traded we dont. am i right?

Originally posted by 99problems:
and if im not mistaken if we cut him we take a cap hit. if he's traded we dont. am i right?


Great question. Someone light the AB83 bat signal.
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by susweel:
7th round pick come on down.
and if im not mistaken if we cut him we take a cap hit. if he's traded we dont. am i right?


As far as I know, we don't take a cap hit. I remember reading that from AB in one of his other topics.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Teams know we are gonna cut him, no reason for them to trade with us

I agree. We won't get much if anything.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,245
Conditional nothing pick that could turn into a 7th round 2014 pick if he plays 99% of their snaps, gets 9 INTs and gets voted to pro-bowl. That is the only trade we'll get for him.