LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

We may trade Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I guess it's just all the injuries catching up, but the way this whole thing went down really suxs. I always liked Spencer....
Anything is always better than nothing
Nobody is going to want to trade for a 30 year old with a 3 million dollar salary, that couldn't even compete for the 4th spot on the team. Why? when they can just wait till we cut him, which the 49ers made public not so long ago. Just MO.
would be nice to get a 6th or something.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Teams know we are gonna cut him, no reason for them to trade with us

I could see a couple of teams making an offer just so they are the only ones who can negotiate with Spencer. I'd guess a 6th or 7th RD pick...
Even if all the 49ers get is a 7th rounder, they've still done better than just releasing him.

Spencer's a guy with pro experience as a starter, he may not project as a starter anywhere but if I'm a CB hungry team, this guy's worth more to me than a 6th or 7th round project that may not even make the team.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Nobody is going to want to trade for a 30 year old with a 3 million dollar salary, that couldn't even compete for the 4th spot on the team. Why? when they can just wait till we cut him, which the 49ers made public not so long ago. Just MO.

Um....because he was a starter in the past, because for whatever reason he doesn't fit in with this teams plans but he can go and be the 3rd or 4th CB on a lot of teams and because by trading for him you don't have to worry about other teams swooping in and snagging him.

New Orleans has like 3 picks in the 6th round, they might bite.

Minnesota has multiple picks in the 7th as well.

Kansas City has multiple 7th rounders and a ton of cap space.

Philly has 3 6th round picks.

You never know what may happen.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Something just popped into my head.

What if Spencer was actually healthy all year, and Baalke/Harbaugh purposely didn't play him so he'd STAY healthy to up his trade value, knowing they had young cornerbacks for the future?

I think a lot of you are undervaluing Spencer right now.

First, Spencer wasn't seeing the field because we just had plain better cornerbacks who were younger (except Carlos Rogers). He got 100% healthy as the season went on. He has fresh legs. He has starting experience.

This offseason is the year where it costs 10 million to franchise a cornerback. It's an especially cornerback-in-demand year.

I would be very surprised to not get unconditional low-round offers for Spencer.
This reminds me of when we granted Mark Roman permission to seek a trade. Its wishful thinking.

I highly doubt anyone will trade for Spencer. He was a good player for us, but his stock is at an all-time low. He's almost 30 and is coming off a season where he was a healthy scratch for most of the year. It's not like he was a high profile player in the past. He was above-average at best.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Um....because he was a starter in the past, because for whatever reason he doesn't fit in with this teams plans but he can go and be the 3rd or 4th CB on a lot of teams and because by trading for him you don't have to worry about other teams swooping in and snagging him.

New Orleans has like 3 picks in the 6th round, they might bite.

Minnesota has multiple picks in the 7th as well.

Kansas City has multiple 7th rounders and a ton of cap space.

Philly has 3 6th round picks.

You never know what may happen.
3.2 million dollars is a lot for a CB to make the team as a 4th option, and there is way more talented FA's out there.
he should have been matched up against manningham instead of brock. yes still upset...
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I think a lot of you are undervaluing Spencer right now.

First, Spencer wasn't seeing the field because we just had plain better cornerbacks who were younger (except Carlos Rogers). He got 100% healthy as the season went on. He has fresh legs. He has starting experience.

This offseason is the year where it costs 10 million to franchise a cornerback. It's an especially cornerback-in-demand year.

I would be very surprised to not get unconditional low-round offers for Spencer.

Spencer was a much better player than Roman could have ever hoped for. He was a half-decent starter that for some reason didn't figure into the teams plans, but he's not a horrible prospect by any means, he's got 11 INT's for his career and could easily contribute for a team in desperate need of secondary help.
3.2 million dollars is a lot for a CB to make the team as a 4th option, and there is way more talented FA's out there.

Yeah but when you're a team with 50-60 million in cap room, 3.2 million ain't s**t, especially considering the guy has a short term deal that can easily be re-negotiated.
I'd trade him for a bag of takis
Share 49ersWebzone