LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

We may trade Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by susweel:
7th round pick come on down.
and if im not mistaken if we cut him we take a cap hit. if he's traded we dont. am i right?

I'm 95% sure we'd still take the cap hit. When we signed his contract, we paid him his guaranteed money. We owe him the money, so any money that we owed him for the year for his signing bonus we will still pay, which will be our cap hit. I'm not sure what his signing bonus is, but I do not think it's that much. However, better to at least get a 7th out of him than just letting him walk.

7th, thats what we do around here.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by susweel:
7th round pick come on down.
and if im not mistaken if we cut him we take a cap hit. if he's traded we dont. am i right?

I'm 95% sure we'd still take the cap hit. When we signed his contract, we paid him his guaranteed money. We owe him the money, so any money that we owed him for the year for his signing bonus we will still pay, which will be our cap hit. I'm not sure what his signing bonus is, but I do not think it's that much. However, better to at least get a 7th out of him than just letting him walk.

7th, thats what we do around here.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Something just popped into my head.

What if Spencer was actually healthy all year, and Baalke/Harbaugh purposely didn't play him so he'd STAY healthy to up his trade value, knowing they had young cornerbacks for the future?

LOL.

If they wanted to up his value, playing him would be the way to do it. You don't raise anyone's value by not letting them play.

It would up CK's value, they would wonder if he progressed, and all they would have to go on is his "potential"

Highly unlikely. If he came in and tossed a few easy TDs or ran a couple in, THAT would definitely up his trade value a little. But riding the pine behind a QB the majority of the league doesn't respect as a threat? No way.

Say what you will about Alex, but I don't think it's debatable that most other teams still doubt him. Having a QB sit behind him isn't going to raise that QB's value. Sorry.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Something just popped into my head.

What if Spencer was actually healthy all year, and Baalke/Harbaugh purposely didn't play him so he'd STAY healthy to up his trade value, knowing they had young cornerbacks for the future?

LOL.

If they wanted to up his value, playing him would be the way to do it. You don't raise anyone's value by not letting them play.

It would up CK's value, they would wonder if he progressed, and all they would have to go on is his "potential"

Highly unlikely. If he came in and tossed a few easy TDs or ran a couple in, THAT would definitely up his trade value a little. But riding the pine behind a QB the majority of the league doesn't respect as a threat? No way.

Say what you will about Alex, but I don't think it's debatable that most other teams still doubt him. Having a QB sit behind him isn't going to raise that QB's value. Sorry.

Spencer already has film to look at. Injured Spencer is less valuable than healthy Spencer. Yes, you can raise his value by letting him make plays, but you also raise his value by keeping him healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone