There are 238 users in the forums

We may trade Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Even though I wish he could stay, I would love to just get another 7th round pick for him or another player.

I would rather get another player. A 7th rounder is not near enough for a guy who can start for many teams or at least be a number 3 guy across the league. (to include the 49ers) A 7th rounder is special teams fodder, not a decent CB.

Just to get something for Spencer along with his 3 mil contract would be surprising. That's why I'd just take a 7th round pick if we could. But in the end, I see Spencer being released, no team is gonna pick up his 3 mil too, although he could be a #3 on a lot of teams.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Just to get something for Spencer along with his 3 mil contract would be surprising. That's why I'd just take a 7th round pick if we could. But in the end, I see Spencer being released, no team is gonna pick up his 3 mil too, although he could be a #3 on a lot of teams.

3 million for 1 year isn't that bad. There's even the possibility of renegotiating and adding another year or two but with a more favorable deal for the team. We'll see what happens but with so many teams having multiple 6th and 7th rounders this year, I could someone biting.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by susweel:
7th round pick come on down.
and if im not mistaken if we cut him we take a cap hit. if he's traded we dont. am i right?

As far as I know, we don't take a cap hit. I remember reading that from AB in one of his other topics.

Correct. It use to be different, but no longer. Trades and Releases result in same cap hit, which is zero, since he has no signing bonus pro-ration left, and a 100K workout bonus, which wouldnt trigger.
I could see a few of these CB thin teams adding Spencer:

Colts
Jaguars
Buccaneers
Broncos
Cowboys
Lions
Lions are a playoffs team with s**t for corners
Spencer would be a starter right away in detroit
if we trade him i can't see more than a 7th rounder.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
if we trade him i can't see more than a 7th rounder.

Which is a 7th rounder better than the people were expecting to get.
He was solid for us and to see his time with us conclude like this is rather sour and unfortunate but I suppose its the name of the game. Some team will get a pretty good CB if he didn't lose a step.

Shawntae!
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Lions are a playoffs team with s**t for corners
Spencer would be a starter right away in detroit

maybe get a 6th from Dallas or Detroit? He's not a bad player.
  • mike
  • Veteran
If we got something for mays we should be able to get a 7th for shawntae. .

I'm such a fan of him. Sad to see him potentially walking. Oh well.
I loved watching Spencer trying to grab the shoe of every receiver ready to smack into his hiney.

Not a Niner.

Always liked Spencer. Thought he would be eventually beat T.Brown out but competition brings out the best. We will trade him for a conditional pick. I think he will do great IF he stays healthy. Glad he got to see a good yr with us tho
Spencer gave it his best shot. Hats off.
Share 49ersWebzone