LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

We may trade Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I think we can get a 6th for him
Originally posted by keeferr75:
he should have been matched up against manningham instead of brock. yes still upset...

Agreed, and I think this is Harbaugh's only error this year.

Here's what I think happened... Spencer did his usual "Oh man I'm hurt again...I can't practice" thing he's been doing with the Niners since Nolan was head coach. He always got the veteran's courtesy when he was dinged. This year, Harbaugh played who was healthy and didn't have time for Spencer's games.

Now granted, I have no idea whether this was the case or not, but Spencer consistently had something wrong with him during his time as a 49er. In my opinion, it shouldn't have mattered. Spencer > Brock every day of the week.

When Brock was on the field against the Giants following the injury to Tarell Brown, I was telling my friends who were at my place,"Tremaine Brock isn't that good. They're gonna go to Manningham." It took them a couple plays, but then Manningham scored the TD against Brock to no one's surprise.

If Spencer is there, they don't score. Since when did Brock suddenly become "start-worthy" ???

This is also why I think getting rid of Carlos Rogers is a terrible, terrible idea. You want to bet on Culliver (whom I love) and Brown (who I think is decent-to-maybe-good) as the future of your secondary? With Brock as the 3rd guy? Sh*t, you are a braver man than I Jim Harbaugh.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Here's what I think happened... Spencer did his usual "Oh man I'm hurt again...I can't practice" thing he's been doing with the Niners since Nolan was head coach. He always got the veteran's courtesy when he was dinged. This year, Harbaugh played who was healthy and didn't have time for Spencer's games.

Now granted, I have no idea whether this was the case or not, but Spencer consistently had something wrong with him during his time as a 49er. In my opinion, it shouldn't have mattered. Spencer > Brock every day of the week.

When Brock was on the field against the Giants following the injury to Tarell Brown, I was telling my friends who were at my place,"Tremaine Brock isn't that good. They're gonna go to Manningham." It took them a couple plays, but then Manningham scored the TD against Brock to no one's surprise.

If Spencer is there, they don't score. Since when did Brock suddenly become "start-worthy" ???

This is also why I think getting rid of Carlos Rogers is a terrible, terrible idea. You want to bet on Culliver (whom I love) and Brown (who I think is decent-to-maybe-good) as the future of your secondary? With Brock as the 3rd guy? Sh*t, you are a braver man than I Jim Harbaugh.

I dont love Culliver, he is a #3 CB at best. I just wanna keep Rogers, and maybe get another lower level CB to be the 4th guy
Originally posted by GEEK:
And three teams may want to acquire him:

Colts - Manusky is their DC
Falcons - Nolan is their DC
Vikings - Singletary is the LB Coach/Asst. to the HC

What do all three teams have in common? They need secondary help, especially the Falcons if they don't resign Grimes.

If you are one of those teams and your coach wants to take a flier on a proven commodity in their system, why not throw a 5th or 6th round pick on someone who will be able to start day 1.

Hope one of them do
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
What did he do to earn his spot on the bench? There is no way he's that bad. I think he would've been a great help when Brown went down against the Giants.
The recent epiphany of any current 49er cb on this squad. 3 million is way too much for any non starter.
Just let him go. No one will trade for him. His value has gone down every yr. Never saw why so many people here loved him
  • JC49
  • Veteran
They always say you can't have too many corners. We are fortunate to have a starting caliber corner so deep on our depth chart. Spencer was expected to start. After two untimely injuries the way things went down he ended up on the bench. Who's to say something similarly unexpected couldn't happen to other starters this season. We might end up needing him. He's under contract. I don't know why we would let him go. Maybe he's disgruntled and unhappy with his role. Maybe he's unwilling to compete for his spot. I hope we are just appeasing him by letting him seek a trade. If he can get an offer that presents value to the Niners then great. I think that is doubtful with so many corners on the market this off-season. Otherwise I wouldn't cut him until we have something better. You need too many corners to match up with passing offenses and things happen.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

I dont love Culliver, he is a #3 CB at best. I just wanna keep Rogers, and maybe get another lower level CB to be the 4th guy

Always love these statements from posters. Culliver a 3rd at best. Haha. He was a rookie and did extremely well. Harbaugh is very high on the guy. Yet you have him at best a fringe NFL player.
If this team found a way to trade Mays when everyone knew he was being released, they will definately find a way to trade Spencer. Spencer has worked with allot of people across the NFL and there will be a team willing to let go of a late round pick to ensure they get him instead of being strung out in a bidding war. The whole "no team will trade for him since they know he will be released" argument is only true if minimal teams are expected to draw interest, thats not the case with Spencer. You think New England isnt willing to part with one of the late round picks they usually stockpile to be first in line for a proven vet... hell Phillip Adams started a few of their games. There are plenty of situations across the NFL where a team has enough late round picks to consider a trade even when knowing he will be released later on.

Much better option than simply releasing him...he was a 2nd rd pick...has been a starter, so should be able to get a decent pick for him.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Always love these statements from posters. Culliver a 3rd at best. Haha. He was a rookie and did extremely well. Harbaugh is very high on the guy. Yet you have him at best a fringe NFL player.

He must not of seen the detroit game
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
He had one good year otherwise he is just ok.There is a reason why he dropped on the depth chart and i am ok with getting rid of him. For those who think we can get a high pick for a average cornerback please. You can get a 6th and be happy.He , chilo and norris are three people from the previous regime that should and will be let go.i could care less about his "class". And if for those who do not want him to go to a division rival, the same blather was put out there about mike rumph when he went to the rams and of course it was a non factor, just like spencer was a non factor for us this year. fine he got hurt but he dropped to fifth on the depth chart, you can quibble all you want with the coach and his depth chart and the jibberish about if he would have been playing vs the giants, we would have won, is lunacy. cut him trade him. as fister said, 3 million for a non starter is nuts, good bye spencer
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
What did he do to earn his spot on the bench? There is no way he's that bad. I think he would've been a great help when Brown went down against the Giants.

That's the million dollar question. He was in t eh dog house we just have no clue how he got there. He was a solid corner.
Originally posted by lamontb:
That's the million dollar question. He was in t eh dog house we just have no clue how he got there. He was a solid corner.

he got injured that was it
i think its just because brown and culliver were doing a solid job

but i can tell you one thing if spencer was guarding manningham instead of brock that TD wwouldnt have happened after the first williams fumble
Share 49ersWebzone