LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 132 users in the forums

We may trade Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
3.2 million dollars is a lot for a CB to make the team as a 4th option, and there is way more talented FA's out there.

Yeah but when you're a team with 50-60 million in cap room, 3.2 million ain't s**t, especially considering the guy has a short term deal that can easily be re-negotiated.
I will agree that you never really know, I just think other teams can fill their rosters with these 2nd and 3rd tier DB's for the same amount of money or less and I believe most of them are younger and just as talented if not more talented.

Kelvin Hayden (ATL)
Zackary Bowman (CHI)
Tim Jennings (CHI)
Kelly Jennings (CIN)
Pacman Jones (CIN)
Eric Wright (DET)
Jonathan Wilhite (DEN)
Jarrett Bush (GB)
Jason Allen (HOU)
Dwight Lowery (JAC)
Will Allen (MIA)
Antwaun Molden (NE)
Will Blackmon (NYG)
Lito Sheppard (OAK)
William Gay (PIT)
Marcus Trufant (SEA)
Justin King (STL)
Philip Buchanon (WAS)
My guess is he will go to StL or Seattle via trade. Started 32 straight games before having nagging toe & hamstring injuries that led him into the doghouse, but has proven to be the answer to covering Fitz for teams that need it. Teams will be forced to do their homework and look at the 2010 season... when he was our best CB.

There is gonna be a team that gets sold on him to help their secondary. Of those names mentioned above, 2010 Spencer was better than the majority of names on that list and will probably renegotiate his contract if he hears from a team/situation he likes after seeing how Rogers reinvented himself this year.
Originally posted by 5280High:
My guess is he will go to StL or Seattle via trade. Started 32 straight games before having nagging toe & hamstring injuries that led him into the doghouse, but has proven to be the answer to covering Fitz for teams that need it. Teams will be forced to do their homework and look at the 2010 season... when he was our best CB.

There is gonna be a team that gets sold on him to help their secondary. Of those names mentioned above, 2010 Spencer was better than the majority of names on that list and will probably renegotiate his contract if he hears from a team/situation he likes after seeing how Rogers reinvented himself this year.

I could definitely see STL because they need a lot of help in that secondary. Not Seattle though - they have a lot of young, great talent.
Originally posted by 99problems:
and if im not mistaken if we cut him we take a cap hit. if he's traded we dont. am i right?

No. He is due 3 mil. Cutting him frees up that 3 mil to cap space. However, no team will trade a pocket of lint for a guy they know is getting cut. His trade value is zero. And I hate to say that becasue I've always liked Spencer. I actually hope that he takes a BIG paycut to stay on board. But I don't think the coaching staff really wants him back at all.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Teams know we are gonna cut him, no reason for them to trade with us

All it takes is for him to draw intreats from more than one team, 4-5 would do, see if nobody has heavy intreats teams will let risk letting him go free agent. If he meets with several teams and their is strong interest we might get a late pick for him, will we get much...no of course not, but letting him shop is better than letting him walk...don't be such a negative nancy!
They just must not like the guy.... I mean I was hoping we wouldn't make any moves regarding Spencer until we have the whole Rogers situation settled. If we don't bring back Rogers, I would prefer we bring back Spencer for depth. And he might even work his way up on the depth chart if he is healthy.

For a team that is trying to make the SuperBowl.....is a Vet CB who has played well for your team in the past worth a 7th round pick?.....is it that big of a deal to keep a guy like that around for 3.3 million, especially if he started for you in the past?

Spencer played well in the Bengals game...and I'm sure he would've played well in other situations if we needed him to come in.
Merging with the Peyton Manning thread in 3 ... 2 ...
I mean why not. The question is who is going to take the bait. I thought Spencer was a good corner, but he is way too injury prone.
I don't see why a team would give more than 7th. The pick just guarantees that the team would lose him to another when the bidding starts. The problem is that most teams concentrate on the big names first, which means Spencer isn't likely to be signed that early anyway. I'd be surprised if we got anything for him.

Our best hope is that he goes to a crappy secondary and starts all year. We might get a comp pick next year. ??
Ugly business side of football. Spencer was our best corner for more than a few years. Too bad.

Originally posted by strickac:
I don't see why a team would give more than 7th. The pick just guarantees that the team would lose him to another when the bidding starts. The problem is that most teams concentrate on the big names first, which means Spencer isn't likely to be signed that early anyway. I'd be surprised if we got anything for him.

Our best hope is that he goes to a crappy secondary and starts all year. We might get a comp pick next year. ??

Yeah, to me Spencer is worth a 7th. He can start or at least be the 3rd QB on a lot of teams.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Even though I wish he could stay, I would love to just get another 7th round pick for him or another player.
hes a solid player however he is very old we would be lucky to get a 6th for him
I think the best we can get is a 6th. If he had been healthier, maybe a little more, but I'd be glad to get SOMETHING for him.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Even though I wish he could stay, I would love to just get another 7th round pick for him or another player.

I would rather get another player. A 7th rounder is not near enough for a guy who can start for many teams or at least be a number 3 guy across the league. (to include the 49ers) A 7th rounder is special teams fodder, not a decent CB.
Share 49ersWebzone