LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

is this a serious topic
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I felt like Ted was gonna say something awesome and then Davis chimed in and kind of threw him off.

I dunno.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yes, I actually think he did. Because even before the completion he yells out "got him" and then he lets out a stupid scream like a fan would. Very unprofessional IMHO.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
SMH.........
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
To be honest, the whole thing made me wish we still had Joe Starkey. He would have screamed something memorable.

You mean something like "Davis! Davis! Davis! Caught it! Caught it! Caught it!"
Davis made the call awesome. It didnt ruin it at all. When the Giants won the pennant in 2002 on Kenny Loftons hit, Mike Krukow yelled over Kuipers call as well. its a special occasion thing reserved for the most exciting moments in team history.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I actually liked his call on Smith's run better.

"play call of dreams!"

kinda gay, but whatever.
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
To be honest, the whole thing made me wish we still had Joe Starkey. He would have screamed something memorable.

itd sound like the Catch 2.

"So the Niners line up here at the Saints 14 yard line.14 seconds remaining, so theyll only have time for 1 shot at a touchdown before the field goal....heres the snap, Smith drops back to pass, hes got Vernon in the front of the endzone! he caught it! he caught it! Touchdown 49ers! I dont believe it! ohhh what a bonanza!"
A better question, is how pissed off is Robinson that David interfered with his iconic moment.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:

itd sound like the Catch 2.

"So the Niners line up here at the Saints 14 yard line.14 seconds remaining, so theyll only have time for 1 shot at a touchdown before the field goal....heres the snap, Smith drops back to pass, hes got Vernon in the front of the endzone! he caught it! he caught it! Touchdown 49ers! I dont believe it! ohhh what a bonanza!"

I do miss that. It's the man's signature call.

I do think it's correct in pointing out that the 49ers have not done as good a job at the SF Giants when it comes to cultivating good broadcasters. Can you imagine if we had someone like Kruik and Kuip behind the mic for 49er broadcasts? Something similar them?

I got a chance to meet and talk with Starkey one year when I was covering the Niners in Rocklin. That was a LONG time ago kids. I don't think he had even assumed play-by-play duties yet (but I could be wrong).

Point being, Starkey served his time. Great announcers don't last forever. I'm no fan of Ted Robinson, but maybe he'll grow on me like Renel has. I thought she was a terrible hire at the time. Now I couldn't imagine Giants baseball without her.

This sure seems like a random irrelevent thing to discuss, lol.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Isn't everything we talk about in Ninertalk irrelevant?

I mean, we are talking about football. A game. Not any real issues the U.S. is dealing with.
So, it's all irrelevant.

It's everything and it's nothing.
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Hopefully, ED will refrain from giggling and squealing like a 10 year-old girl on future historic radio playcalls. I wish someone could find a way to edit him out of the call. I don't mind him saying "Got it....Got it!" (actually thought it was cool), but squealing like a girl on a historic playcall is pathetic. You've got to have more decorum than that. Spontaneous emotion is great, but you don't need to make a total ass out of yourself like ED did. Very amateurish move.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by Garcia:
He is a color commentator.

RACIST

This. En serio
Share 49ersWebzone