There are 182 users in the forums

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Eric Davis ruin Ted Robinson's TD Call on 'The Catch III" ?

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I just dont get all the hype for "The Catch II and III." It really was an increadible moment, but if you dont win the Superbowl it's kind of a flop for me. Think about what the Patriots did. They won every game in the regular season and actually just as much or not more than the 72 Dolphins, but they didn't win it all an now no one remembers it as be that significant.

What the patriots did doesn't even remotely compare to this, because they were on a mission to have the greatest season ever. For us, it's about the niners becoming the niners again, and with the same players who have been through hell this last decade. For them and the true fans that have watched every game since 2004, it was such an elation. If you still don't get it, then I don't know what to say to you.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I just dont get all the hype for "The Catch II and III." It really was an increadible moment, but if you dont win the Superbowl it's kind of a flop for me. Think about what the Patriots did. They won every game in the regular season and actually just as much or not more than the 72 Dolphins, but they didn't win it all an now no one remembers it as be that significant.

What the patriots did doesn't even remotely compare to this, because they were on a mission to have the greatest season ever. For us, it's about the niners becoming the niners again, and with the same players who have been through hell this last decade. For them and the true fans that have watched every game since 2004, it was such an elation. If you still don't get it, then I don't know what to say to you.

This. I've been a fan since 04, and this feeling is pure ecstasy for me right now.

We arent those niners yet. I value TOs catch but i think its dumb to call it the catch to considerig the reference and meaning of the Catch and how it is linked to a dynasty of superbowls.
Originally posted by Garcia:
He is a color commentator.

Seems like he stole a little bit of TR's thunder on that call.

Agree?

nope
He enhanced the call with "GOT EM" before he caught the ball! Then the one after that just makes my heart sink! Really wish I was there!!!
Originally posted by Joecool:
We arent those niners yet. I value TOs catch but i think its dumb to call it the catch to considerig the reference and meaning of the Catch and how it is linked to a dynasty of superbowls.

i agree. if we don't win the SB that catch won't mean s**t.
Originally posted by 49ERJUNKY:
He enhanced the call with "GOT EM" before he caught the ball! Then the one after that just makes my heart sink! Really wish I was there!!!

Yup! If anything, his WOOO HOOO was what sort of 'ruined' the call, but overall Davis made it even more awesome.

CAN YOU FEEL CANDLESTICK?!?!?
I like the part at the end 'can you feel Candlestick', what a line.

Winning is what the niners of old are about, and this last game put these guys in 49ers' lore. If you don't like putting T.O's Catch on the same level as Clark's, that's a personal thing, but it is what that play is called. It's pretty apparent at this point, "Catches" are a 49ers playoff staple, and to me, I think it's dumb to devalue any of these moments due to naming.

Hell no!! LOVED Eric Davis' emotion!!

Winning is what the niners of old are about, and this last game put these guys in 49ers' lore. If you don't like putting T.O's Catch on the same level as Clark's, that's a personal thing, but it is what that play is called. It's pretty apparent at this point, "Catches" are a 49ers playoff staple, and to me, I think it's dumb to devalue any of these moments due to naming.

If we don't win the superbowl, "Catches" will just mean we get nice catches and that's it. The Catch has an entirely different meaning than what TO did. Vernon's catch may take us into a dynasty once again and if we win the Superbowl, then it is on the level of The Catch I.

I am actually disappointed in Niners fans wanting to claim TO's Catch is an important moment in Niners lore. We lost the following week and it was the end of a Dynasty. Vernon's catch has a better chance of being the Catch 2 than TO's catch.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by Garcia:
He is a color commentator.

Seems like he stole a little bit of TR's thunder on that call.

Agree?

nope

lmao at the monotone Saints call. He must've been crying in his cereal.

If we don't win the superbowl, "Catches" will just mean we get nice catches and that's it. The Catch has an entirely different meaning than what TO did. Vernon's catch may take us into a dynasty once again and if we win the Superbowl, then it is on the level of The Catch I.

I am actually disappointed in Niners fans wanting to claim TO's Catch is an important moment in Niners lore. We lost the following week and it was the end of a Dynasty. Vernon's catch has a better chance of being the Catch 2 than TO's catch.

And why is it so bad that T.O's catch had a different meaning? It's just a name, and it doesn't devalue Clark's in the slightest. When you say "Catch" you think of that one, and when you say "Catch II" or "Catch III" you think of the other ones. I think it's much stupider to say that the Catch II isn't important in 49ers lore, when it's been already established as such. All 3 define different eras of 49ers history, and each provided unforgettable moments in NFL history.

And why is it so bad that T.O's catch had a different meaning? It's just a name, and it doesn't devalue Clark's in the slightest. When you say "Catch" you think of that one, and when you say "Catch II" or "Catch III" you think of the other ones. I think it's much stupider to say that the Catch II isn't important in 49ers lore, when it's been already established as such. All 3 define different eras of 49ers history, and each provided unforgettable moments in NFL history.

Honestly, I don't even like using "The Catch" for anything else aside from Dwight Clark's catch. I think the play to win the game vs the Saints should be attributed more to Alex Smith or that personnel on that team struggling for many years and having gone through criticism and all. It just wasn't a very creative label.

TO and "The Catch 2" is like saying Deon was one of the greatest 49ers ever.

To me, every time someone says The Catch 3, I say, oh you mean Alex's resurrection or something like that. I never say The Catch 2 and only mention it as, "...remember TO's catch vs the Giants..."

That's just me.
Share 49ersWebzone