LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

when will/should the starters be named?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
And to be honest, there aren't many starters that are left either unknown or unnamed. EVERYONE knows that Alex is the starter, whether Harbaugh says it or not. There are only a few unknown starting spots yet.

WOLB - Smith or Haralson?
FS - Goldson, Williams, Spillman, or Reggie?
RG - Snyder or Rachal?
FB - Norris or Miller

Today Brown was named the starter at CB, and Goodwin at C. Now I don't think Brown will last long once Spencer is healthy, but as of now, there are really only four unsettled spots in reality.

I find it interesting that Harbaugh said in todays interview that the OL has 7 starters. Does that mean Boone and Snyder are in the mix to start?

I took it that he wants 7 Ready to play. Now that Goodwin is named the starter, it will allow more stability to how the protections will be called.And it will allow a better rotation at our other weak points.
[ Edited by SF4EVA on Aug 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM ]
I think Harbaugh will announce then when he is satisfied and ready to announce them. Then we all will know.
Doesn't matter when they are announced but Harbaugh should already know who his starters are so the 1st team can start working on chemistry.
Originally posted by backontop:
Doesn't matter when they are announced but Harbaugh should already know who his starters are so the 1st team can start working on chemistry.

It doesn't look like Harbaugh cares about Game Day chemistry. Hope that practice chemistry translates.
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by kidash:
Oh, mah bad, let me retract and say...

To be fair, the thread was made with a "THE SKY IS FALLING!" mentality based off the fact that we still dont have starters named and the season is upon us.

Sounds better?

it sounds more accurate to what you are trying to convey but i dont agree, not even a lil bit. if you dont think that its cause for concern then you must not have very big expectations for the season which i can understand. but show me one other team in the nfl that still has so many unnamed starters at this point? you cant do it because all of the other coaches in the nfl have already named their starters and started them last game for 3 qrts.

the sky isnt falling, not yet anyways. but its sure is freaking cloudy!

Redskins & Dolphins, what do I win?

and thats the fog, its friggin San Fran.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by kidash:
Oh, mah bad, let me retract and say...

To be fair, the thread was made with a "THE SKY IS FALLING!" mentality based off the fact that we still dont have starters named and the season is upon us.

Sounds better?

it sounds more accurate to what you are trying to convey but i dont agree, not even a lil bit. if you dont think that its cause for concern then you must not have very big expectations for the season which i can understand. but show me one other team in the nfl that still has so many unnamed starters at this point? you cant do it because all of the other coaches in the nfl have already named their starters and started them last game for 3 qrts.

the sky isnt falling, not yet anyways. but its sure is freaking cloudy!

Redskins & Dolphins, what do I win?

and thats the fog, its friggin San Fran.

3-5 games this year?
Originally posted by Howlett:
Originally posted by verb1der:
JH doesn't want to reveal his starters because he's playing the chess-game with Pete Carroll,

This

Hehehe! Carrol-what's your problem?! Name your starters so I can game plan dammit!
It appears that JH not naming his starters is only affecting the fans who don't have the patience to wait and find out. I don't care who the starters are at this point as long as they are all working hard to earn their spots. I will only care come gametime.
why is ginn and morgan starting in all of these preseason games? what concerns me is the rapport being built with our first team offense, or lack there of in this case. i understand coach doesnt want to show a whole lot but not starting your best player at wr isnt the best plan from my point of view. the more snaps edwards can run with the first team offense the better. in fact i cant see one plus to him not starting and getting a ton of time. i know there is a possibility that edwards could face a suspension but we are less then 2 weeks away from the start of the season and there is still no word on any suspension being enforced.

i notice this is a common theme this year with the coaches not knowing/naming who the starters are. at center we have an unnamed starter, at fs we have an unnamed starter, at cb we have an unnamed starter, etc, etc..... my question is at what point does not naming a starter hurt your team? instead of naming a starter and giving a guy all of the work so he can improve as quickly as possible, you refuse to name a starter and in the process split up the work so much that nobody really absorbs it all and improves much.

Starting is overrated. All it means is who's on the field for the first play. Guys like Edwards may not be on the field for that first snap, but who cares, theys till play like 20 of the next 25 snaps. They get plenty of snaps with the guys they'll be playing with come week 1. But if you must know the week 1 starters, I'll tell you so you don't have to wait for Harbaugh

QB- Smith
HB- Gore
WR- Crabtree (or Morgan if Crab is unable to give it a go)
WR- Edwards
TE- Davis
TE- Walker
LT- Staley
LG- Iupati
C- Goodwin
RG- Rachal
RT-Davis

LDE- McDonald
NT- Sopoaga
RDE- Smith
LOLB- Brooks
Mike- Willis
Ted- Bowman
ROLB- Haralson
LCB- Rogers
RCB- Spencer or Brown
FS- Goldson
SS- Whitner
[ Edited by andes14 on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Howlett:
You are a RETARD. You can build continuity by practicing your starters together. They just don't have to be named starters. "Oh sorry Braylon" says A.Smith, "I can't practice with you because you haven't been named a starter." Lol. Even my girlfriend is laughing at you.
And even his girlfriend's boyfriend is laughing at you.

for reals.... Harbaugh has been a huge proponent of protecting his players so it might be safe to conclude that whoever has been starting particularly during the preseason save for Alex Smith is not who will be starting come opening day kickoff.

Grow up you goons.

If I can hear Pete Carroll say "What's your deal?" just one more time, the Harbaugh hire will have been worth it.
[ Edited by TDilvr on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:24 PM ]

Originally posted by Joecool:

It doesn't look like Harbaugh cares about Game Day chemistry. Hope that practice chemistry translates.

If they are practicing at a game type tempo then that should help...I hope
just name smith the starter already, it aint like seattle thinks we're gonna start kaepernick
He has already been named the starter
As many have said, Harbaugh's in no hurry to show his cards. Similarly, Fangio's not showing certain aspects of his defense in preseason...if you'll notice, there haven't been many blitzes or line stunts, but come week one, watch out Seattle.
Originally posted by Joecool:

If they are practicing at a game type tempo then that should help...I hope
Yes. They will probably ready for preseason tempo in Game 1 while our opponents have already done that and are ready for Game 1 tempo.
Share 49ersWebzone