LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 173 users in the forums

when will/should the starters be named?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
why is ginn and morgan starting in all of these preseason games? what concerns me is the rapport being built with our first team offense, or lack there of in this case. i understand coach doesnt want to show a whole lot but not starting your best player at wr isnt the best plan from my point of view. the more snaps edwards can run with the first team offense the better. in fact i cant see one plus to him not starting and getting a ton of time. i know there is a possibility that edwards could face a suspension but we are less then 2 weeks away from the start of the season and there is still no word on any suspension being enforced.

i notice this is a common theme this year with the coaches not knowing/naming who the starters are. at center we have an unnamed starter, at fs we have an unnamed starter, at cb we have an unnamed starter, etc, etc..... my question is at what point does not naming a starter hurt your team? instead of naming a starter and giving a guy all of the work so he can improve as quickly as possible, you refuse to name a starter and in the process split up the work so much that nobody really absorbs it all and improves much.
after we make final cuts on saturday
JH doesn't want to reveal his starters because he's playing the chess-game with Pete Carroll,
The last possible minute required by the league. Why would you want to share that info so your opponents can game plan?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
JH doesn't want to show his package so soon.
Originally posted by verb1der:
JH doesn't want to reveal his starters because he's playing the chess-game with Pete Carroll,

This
I think Ginn is on the bubble and the coaches want to see as much of him as possible to make a better informed decision. Pre-season is the time to do that.

I agree the starters need much more time together under game conditions. I don't feel the team will noticeably gel until the 5-6 game and I don't see them playing more in pre-season solving that.
Originally posted by susweel:

most of the cuts will be expected so im not sure how waiting till then is significant.
Originally posted by susweel:

At least not until half time.

Originally posted by Howlett:
The last possible minute required by the league. Why would you want to share that info so your opponents can game plan?

you mean why would you want to get valuable in game practice with your first team unit to build continuity on offense/defense? I have no idea...
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM ]
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
most of the cuts will be expected so im not sure how waiting till then is significant.

The final cuts will be on Sat. Naming the starters and making the cuts are completly separate.
Originally posted by Howlett:

you mean why would you want to get valuable in game practice with your first team unit to build continuity on offense/defense? I have no idea...

You can practice your starters but you don't have to name them starters to pactice them as starters. Unless the Seahawks are spying on practice how would they know who the Niners are starting?
why is ginn and morgan starting in all of these preseason games? what concerns me is the rapport being built with our first team offense, or lack there of in this case. i understand coach doesnt want to show a whole lot but not starting your best player at wr isnt the best plan from my point of view. the more snaps edwards can run with the first team offense the better. in fact i cant see one plus to him not starting and getting a ton of time. i know there is a possibility that edwards could face a suspension but we are less then 2 weeks away from the start of the season and there is still no word on any suspension being enforced.

i notice this is a common theme this year with the coaches not knowing/naming who the starters are. at center we have an unnamed starter, at fs we have an unnamed starter, at cb we have an unnamed starter, etc, etc..... my question is at what point does not naming a starter hurt your team? instead of naming a starter and giving a guy all of the work so he can improve as quickly as possible, you refuse to name a starter and in the process split up the work so much that nobody really absorbs it all and improves much.

In my opinion, starters for the defense, offense and special teams should have been announced just after the Raiders game. Harbaugh will say he hasn't had enough time to evaluate players because of the lockout. But because of the lockout he needs to announce the starters early so they each know where they stand and can start focusing in bonding with working together.

The OL needs to start studying the Seahawks now. The second string (scout team) needs to simulate the Seahawks D. The coaches must stop expecting the players to "cram" their lessons with new topics. Let them master what they've got. Hold back some of that d**m playbook already. Do you really need 100 plays in the first game? Practice 40 until the players are precise, then add more.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
In my opinion, starters for the defense, offense and special teams should have been announced just after the Raiders game. Harbaugh will say he hasn't had enough time to evaluate players because of the lockout. But because of the lockout he needs to announce the starters early so they each know where they stand and can start focusing in bonding with working together.

The OL needs to start studying the Seahawks now. The second string (scout team) needs to simulate the Seahawks D. The coaches must stop expecting the players to "cram" their lessons with new topics. Let them master what they've got. Hold back some of that d**m playbook already. Do you really need 100 plays in the first game? Practice 40 until the players are precise, then add more.

this is my thought process as well. not naming the starters isnt helping anybody imho.
Share 49ersWebzone