There are 248 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Isn't Shaun Hill supposed to be a FA this offseason also? Maybe bring him back?

What's wrong with Shaun Hill? He's accurate and has good pocket presence. Weak arm, but still. He could do fine in a WCO like Harbaugh's.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
I'd actually prefer Hill over any of the other options being bandied about. Like Alex, he will cost far less and likely provide similar, if not better, production.

What's wrong with Shaun Hill? He's accurate and has good pocket presence. Weak arm, but still. He could do fine in a WCO like Harbaugh's.

Honestly I would rather have Alex back. A stronger arm and more athleticism. He never had the right QB development. Not saying he's the answer. But I think he could buy us 1 year with Harbaugh coaching him up while we develop a rookie or work on a permanent solution to our QB position.

I think Shaun Hill has hit his ceiling as far as what he can do and it is not much...I like his drive but at this point, we need to move forwards
I would like to see a vet, a young guy with a year or three, and a rookie draft pick. They could be:

Vets: A Smith or Orton
Youngsters: Josh Johnson or Quinn
Draft: Gabbert or Kaepernick

This group would give Harbaugh a lot to work with and I believe Smith might be a really good role model for the younger guys because he has gone through so much and would likely appreciate good coaching when he sees what it looks like.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 7, 2011 at 23:47:19 ]
Originally posted by mryan1004:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

He hasnt played enough to warrant a future HOF batch, but he's better than anyone else out there......and his age makes him a franchise QB.

his last game he was 1 touchdown 3 interceptions sacked 5 times and lost a fumble........not impressed his other games werent' far off, thats why reid didnt hesitate to throw vick in early in the season

It's been well documented that their line has a lot of problems. It's just that Mike Vick is such a jitterbug that it is less obvious with him under center.
Originally posted by vaden:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

Yes, we are blinded by actual statistics showing that Kolb put up worse numbers than Alex while playing on a far better team, in a far better situation under far better coaching against far worse competition. Kolb looked horrible in his last game against one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Granted, he didn't play as much as Alex, and I'm not saying he's worse, but in no way has he proven he's any better.

He lit us up in September. He is still young and hasn't played enough to be condemed yet. I still see soem growth potential there. I am also intrigued by the possiblites of Josh Johnson, Matt Flynn, and Dennis Dixon options.

Honestly I would rather have Alex back. A stronger arm and more athleticism. He never had the right QB development. Not saying he's the answer. But I think he could buy us 1 year with Harbaugh coaching him up while we develop a rookie or work on a permanent solution to our QB position.

Me too (can't believe I agree with SD on something! ), but I doubt Alex wants to. I truly believe Alex Smith will be one of the top 3 or so free agent QBs on the market. I think he's gonna make another team pretty happy. I mean, he's got a better QB rating than Mark Sanchez after all.

[ Edited by bigtony2tone on Jan 8, 2011 at 00:08:36 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran

I wonder if anyone actually watched the games in 2009? Shaun Hill is done, unless you enjoy 45-10 thrashings, at home.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Matt Flynn from the Packers
shaun hill.

seriously?

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skynet907:
shaun hill.

seriously?

Seriously. Thank God none of these guys are the GM for the 49ers. We get a guy like Harbaugh and they want to start Shaun freaking Hill. That's like buying a Lamborghini and keeping it sitting in the garage while you drive the 1978 bucket Volvo instead.
McNabb! A vet who knows WCO like the back of his ***.

Then draft a QB which fits Harbaugh's vision to groom. He's awesome at grooming young QBs. And this draft is RICH in QB talent!
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Luck's announcement to stay at Stanford was timed to get Harbaugh to stay. Now that Harbaugh is gone and Stanford is scrambling, Luck could reconsider his decision and make himself available for the draft. The Niners should do a deal with Carolina this week, before January 15th, get the Carolina pick, and I bet Luck changes his mind. Part of the reason he stayed was because he didn't want to play for Carolina. He might feel differently if he knew he could still play for Harbaugh at the next level. In the meantime, grab an aging McNabb for two years of service to bridge the gap. And for as much as I've rooted for Alex Smith and wish him well, I agree with one of the previous posters that his skills aren't suited for WCO. The worst part of Smith's game, accuracy on the short pass, is the staple of the WCO.

Interesting post. It seems Luck wants the degree, but you never know.
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by cuhran:
My First Choice Would Be To Try Getting Kolb By Trading A Draft Pick.

2nd Option Would Be To Sign A FA...Example: Orton Or Mcnabb, Draft Cam Newton If He's Available At 7th And Let Him Grow Under Mcnabb...I Would Not Take Any Other QB With Our 7th Pick. I Think All Other Qb's In The Draft Are 2nd Rounders, Mallet Is Good But Did Not Like How He Moved In The Pocket. If We Cant Get Newton @ 7 I Say We Go For a CB Or DE And Draft A QB Like Kellen Moore Or Blaine Gabbert In The 2nd Round..........

Uhh Blaine Gabbert is now the top Qb prospect coming out this draft. And i would be weary of guys like Cam newton, kind of reminds me of jamarcus russel and i think he gets away with alot of plays on his own being he is just so much more athletically gifted than college players. In the NFL he will be matched up against the best. me personally i would rather have a guy like gabbert or maybe mallet. or dalton in a later round

I agree, Cam Newton is a risk. He has major character issues, including a criminal background. Gabbert will be gone by 7 IMO, I read Mallett is dropping to bottom of the first or even second. I think we may see the Niners trade down in the draft in order to aquire more picks and end up with Mallett or possibly Locker. McNabb or Kolb would be my bet for coming in this season, maybe mentoring a rookie QB.