LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

I wanna make a thread about that, but no math-magician can count how many bashers are gonna be in there...

I understand their reasoning, but all we need is for everyone to have an open mind especially since money might conflict with who we get. (QB)

Idk, if we get someone better than Alex, I'm all for it, but the chances of that, well aren't really known and so for now I say keep him as a backup. I just think he will serve as a better alternate than anyone else we may have.

I also would have liked to see how Nate Davis performed, but I guess he will have to wait his turn.

Overall, Harbaugh is an intelligent guy, he's no Bill Walsh, (as of now) but we can definitely count on him to really help rebuild this organization just like he did for other teams.

Finally, in good spirits and worry-free confidence, I can indeed say...

Go Niners!

I am always up for an upgrade at any position, but the pickings are slim...very slim.

"Coach up" a 7th year veteran, huh ? And which "expert" (besides yourself of course) told you that Alex can excel in an offense in the his first year running it ? Or was his college coach also lost, just like every other NFL analyst that you feel doesnt understand the game as well as you do.......

Listen man, you are pushing for a guy that had a worse year than Smith, on a better coached team, and is on top of that getting way up in years. I am no expert, and never claimed to be, but I know horses**t when I smell it and you buddy absolutely reek of it.
i like josh johnson, or kyle orton. i just hope we get a good project in the draft
Our best option would be to try and get Kyle Orton, but only if we can get him for a reasonable price.
Luck's announcement to stay at Stanford was timed to get Harbaugh to stay. Now that Harbaugh is gone and Stanford is scrambling, Luck could reconsider his decision and make himself available for the draft. The Niners should do a deal with Carolina this week, before January 15th, get the Carolina pick, and I bet Luck changes his mind. Part of the reason he stayed was because he didn't want to play for Carolina. He might feel differently if he knew he could still play for Harbaugh at the next level. In the meantime, grab an aging McNabb for two years of service to bridge the gap. And for as much as I've rooted for Alex Smith and wish him well, I agree with one of the previous posters that his skills aren't suited for WCO. The worst part of Smith's game, accuracy on the short pass, is the staple of the WCO.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Luck's announcement to stay at Stanford was timed to get Harbaugh to stay. Now that Harbaugh is gone and Stanford is scrambling, Luck could reconsider his decision and make himself available for the draft. The Niners should do a deal with Carolina this week, before January 15th, get the Carolina pick, and I bet Luck changes his mind. Part of the reason he stayed was because he didn't want to play for Carolina. He might feel differently if he knew he could still play for Harbaugh at the next level. In the meantime, grab an aging McNabb for two years of service to bridge the gap. And for as much as I've rooted for Alex Smith and wish him well, I agree with one of the previous posters that his skills aren't suited for WCO. The worst part of Smith's game, accuracy on the short pass, is the staple of the WCO.
I think that would send up a major red flag to Goodell
Originally posted by BSofSF:

Not happening.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

I wanna make a thread about that, but no math-magician can count how many bashers are gonna be in there...

I understand their reasoning, but all we need is for everyone to have an open mind especially since money might conflict with who we get. (QB)

Idk, if we get someone better than Alex, I'm all for it, but the chances of that, well aren't really known and so for now I say keep him as a backup. I just think he will serve as a better alternate than anyone else we may have.

I also would have liked to see how Nate Davis performed, but I guess he will have to wait his turn.

Overall, Harbaugh is an intelligent guy, he's no Bill Walsh, (as of now) but we can definitely count on him to really help rebuild this organization just like he did for other teams.

Finally, in good spirits and worry-free confidence, I can indeed say...

Go Niners!

I am always up for an upgrade at any position, but the pickings are slim...very slim.

"Coach up" a 7th year veteran, huh ? And which "expert" (besides yourself of course) told you that Alex can excel in an offense in the his first year running it ? Or was his college coach also lost, just like every other NFL analyst that you feel doesnt understand the game as well as you do.......

Listen man, you are pushing for a guy that had a worse year than Smith, on a better coached team, and is on top of that getting way up in years. I am no expert, and never claimed to be, but I know horses**t when I smell it and you buddy absolutely reek of it.

So how would you explain Warner's rise to stardom after getting axed in STL and NY ? Dumb luck ?
Is the new coach more interested in a QB or a cathedral? Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhWCFhiQMJs
Isn't Shaun Hill supposed to be a FA this offseason also? Maybe bring him back?
Brady or Rodgers. Don't have a preference, either will be a good stop gap for the next 5-6 years.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Isn't Shaun Hill supposed to be a FA this offseason also? Maybe bring him back?

• dj43
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think Dennis Dixon will be signed by the Niners this offseason.

I keep forgetting about him because he is on IR. He would be an interesting possibility and is UFA, IIRC. I think his career at Oregon overlapped Harbaugh at Stanford. hmmmmm
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
From that list I think McNabb has the most experience in the WCO. I'll pick McNabb.

McNabb is DONE.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
there is ZERO chance we will get a guy like Flynn or Kolb. A) Why would those teams give up essential backups at the most important position when they are primed for Super Bowl runs and have starting QB's who have had some fairly serious injury concerns this season? B) Even if they were willing to give them up, the asking price will be WAY too high.

Dead on...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
mcnabb or orton would be fine. The asking price for kolb will be too high.
Share 49ersWebzone