There are 175 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Anyone in that list is possible, and I wouldn't be totally opposed to them.. aside from Sorgi, Johnson, and Brunell. We don't want Brunell starting..

I'd rather start a rookie. Look at Bradford...
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Start Charlie batch
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Start Charlie batch

LOL @ some of these names. Why bother getting a mastermind like Harbaugh then? We might as well start Tim Rattay.
Originally posted by niners94:
McNabb...maybe he could do a Kurt Warner and revive his career.

It's a different story with McNabb. Kurt Warner was injured, and pushed out of the Rams. Even when he played for the Giants, his play was practically the same, not much of a drop-off, and the guy was never a mobile QB. McNabb's strength was in his mobility, and with Redskins, his legs looked shot (according to Shanahan, he was not conditioned well enough to run the 2-minute offense.) Did age and the old injuries catchup with McNabb? Likely. If that's true, it'll be very tough for him to revive his career.
Originally posted by fastforward:

It's a different story with McNabb. Kurt Warner was injured, and pushed out of the Rams. Even when he played for the Giants, his play was practically the same, not much of a drop-off, and the guy was never a mobile QB. McNabb's strength was in his mobility, and with Redskins, his legs looked shot (according to Shanahan, he was not conditioned well enough to run the 2-minute offense.) Did age and the old injuries catchup with McNabb? Likely. If that's true, it'll be very tough for him to revive his career.

I heard he was on pace to break the Redskins record for passing yards in a season. With who at WR??? Plus if we draft a rook in the 1st, who cares if he's awful, we've got a backup plan. If he doesn't pan out, fine. But if he does, he is capable of being one of the best in the game.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by fastforward:

I heard he was on pace to break the Redskins record for passing yards in a season. With who at WR??? Plus if we draft a rook in the 1st, who cares if he's awful, we've got a backup plan. If he doesn't pan out, fine. But if he does, he is capable of being one of the best in the game.

ya i wouldn't mind mcnabb either. his purpose wouldn't be to win, it would just be to keep the rookies seat warm for a year.
It's going to be Orton. He's a decent fit for the WCO, he's PROVEN he can play at a reasonable level, and the Broncos have stated they want to trade him. He can hold us over until a franchise QB can be found in the next couple years and groomed. With Orton, we're not forced to pick the QB of the future immediately if he's not there.

Alex is gone. Why would he return to a fan base that boos him every other play? McNabb's ability is in question at this point in his career, and you have to wonder how long he could even be considered a passable solution. Kolb is the only other one who might make sense, but despite showing glimpses, he hasn't proven much more than potential. Plus, the Eagles will be reluctant to trade him with Vick's style of play and risk of injury.

So Orton it is. We'll probably draft a pass rusher early and a QB in a later round who shows potential and hope we get lucky.

[ Edited by gravelburn on Jan 8, 2011 at 01:33:18 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gravelburn:
It's going to be Orton. He's a decent fit for the WCO, he's PROVEN he can play at a reasonable level, and the Broncos have stated they want to trade him. He can hold us over until a franchise QB can be found in the next couple years and groomed. With Orton, we're not forced to pick the QB of the future immediately if he's not there.

Alex is gone. Why would he return to a fan base that boos him every other play? McNabb's ability is in question at this point in his career, and you have to wonder how long he could even be considered a passable solution. Kolb is the only other one who might make sense, but despite showing glimpses, he hasn't proven much more than potential. Plus, the Eagles will be reluctant to trade him with Vick's style of play and risk of injury.

So Orton it is. We'll probably draft a pass rusher early and a QB in a later round who shows potential and hope we get lucky.

Screw Orton, and I'm pretty sure we're grabbing a QB in the 1st. We might trade down a bit, but QB is the main priority. Why do you think Harbaugh was hired? His main job is to develop a QB. We'll end up with either Mallett, Gabbert, Newton, etc.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by gravelburn:

Screw Orton, and I'm pretty sure we're grabbing a QB in the 1st. We might trade down a bit, but QB is the main priority. Why do you think Harbaugh was hired? His main job is to develop a QB. We'll end up with either Mallett, Gabbert, Newton, etc.

Mallett and Gabbert are the only ones we'd pick at 7, but only Mallett possibly plays right away, and he's still pretty raw. Gabbert played mostly in the spread, so who knows how he'll adjust and how long it might take. I wouldn't pick Newton before the late teens. We could trade down, but he is a risk in the long-term. The guy I'd like to see us get is Ponder. He's a smart WCO style QB who we could pick up in the late 1st with some maneuvering. But I don't think any of these guys are ready to play from day 1. Orton isn't a franchise QB, but he's serviceable until a Mallett, Gabbert or Ponder can step in, however long that takes.

[ Edited by gravelburn on Jan 8, 2011 at 03:41:23 ]
Josh Johnson
Kevin Kolb
Kyle Orton
Sage Rosenfels
Donovan McNabb
Jim Sorgi
Charlie Batch
Trent Edwards
Mark Brunell

i would rather start Alex Smith over every single one of these QB except for Kyle Orton.

im convinced that 49er fans were so focused on what Alex Smith "didnt" do, they lost all understanding of just how bad an NFL QB can get, and how Smith wasnt all that terrible. it gets alot worse.

youd think people would remember this from the days of Trent Dilfer, Ken Dorsey, Cody Pickett, etc.

There's absolutely no way the Eagles let Kolb go, and there's no way we're willing to give up the obscene amount of picks that would require.

Orton would also be pretty expensive unless the next coach in Denver decides it's Tebow all the way and Orton is a waste of time.

McNabb is a FA but if Shannahan questioned his work-ethic/fitness Harbaugh might not have time for him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he took a long took at his former QB Josh Johnson.
Originally posted by cuhran:
My First Choice Would Be To Try Getting Kolb By Trading A Draft Pick.

2nd Option Would Be To Sign A FA...Example: Orton Or Mcnabb, Draft Cam Newton If He's Available At 7th And Let Him Grow Under Mcnabb...I Would Not Take Any Other QB With Our 7th Pick. I Think All Other Qb's In The Draft Are 2nd Rounders, Mallet Is Good But Did Not Like How He Moved In The Pocket. If We Cant Get Newton @ 7 I Say We Go For a CB Or DE And Draft A QB Like Kellen Moore Or Blaine Gabbert In The 2nd Round..........

Gabbert scares me the more I read opinions on him. I'd be far more comfortable with someone like Newton who's handled the high media attention and has proven to be a WINNER. Not that I'm 100% sold - but I'm more and more coming round to the fact that you cannot underestimate having a QB who has been winning matches.

Also, although I voted for Josh - due to past connection - this may not be a one choice thing. After all if there is training camp (CBA permitting) wouldn't a team normally have at least 4 QBs?

And all we have is David Carr.

Admittedly that may be Carr, 1 FA, 1 High draft pick, and 1 or 2 low round/undrafted rookies.
would say McNabb if the Redskins cut him, just because I believe he knows the WCO if not I much rather the Niners resign Smith and Draft a QB and see what Harbaugh can teach him
Originally posted by vaden:
I'd take Smith over all of them minus Kolb and Orton, but they'll be far more expensive. Would rather save the money/picks for other needs.

I agree with saving picks. In fact, let's trade way our first round pick this year for a first round pick next year. With (2) first round picks in the 2012 draft, we would be in position us to move up the draft board to grab Andrew Luck and with a likely rookie salary cap in place, we would save money.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Matt Flynn and Kellen Clemmens, both come from a WCO and may be under the radar.
Share 49ersWebzone