LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
It's utterly astounding to me that it's 2011 and we're still talking about Alex Smith starting for this team.

It's completely unfathomable.

I understand the predicament that Harbaugh is in but if this team starts Smith, I hope Harbaugh is ready to sail the sinking ship with him like Sing and Nolan did.

Fans are impatient by nature, but us 49ers fans are beyond that point with Smith. If he starts, prepare for the volume of booing to dwarf what was heard against Philly last season.

We're tired and fed up and we deserve change. I'll take absolutely anyone over Alex Smith. Despite Troy's flaws, he still managed to pass for more yards in a game during his short stint as starter than Alex has during his entire career.

He may be "smart" and "athletic" but he just doesn't have it and I'm sick and tired of having this argument year after year.

It's time for change. Real change. We'll pay dearly if he's under center mark my words.

I think I'm going to have to trust Harbaugh's opinion over yours. Sorry.

People trusted Singletary last offseason too.

we knew going into the season that singeltary is a motivator and not an x's and o's guy

harbrough is an x's and o's guy who has quaterback experiance and teaching qb experiance sing didnt have that
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

People trusted Singletary last offseason too.

I don't see your point.

You must not have seen mine.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It's utterly astounding to me that it's 2011 and we're still talking about Alex Smith starting for this team.

I understand the predicament that Harbaugh is in but if this team starts Smith, I hope Harbaugh is ready to sail the sinking ship with him like Sing and Nolan did.

Fans are impatient by nature, but us 49ers fans are beyond that point with Smith. If he starts, prepare for the volume of booing to dwarf what was heard against Philly last season.

We're tired and fed up and we deserve change. I'll take absolutely anyone over Alex Smith. Despite Troy's flaws, he still managed to pass for more yards in a game during his short stint as starter than Alex has during his entire career.

He may be "smart" and "athletic" but he just doesn't have it and I'm sick and tired of having this argument year after year.

It's time for change. Real change. We'll pay dearly if he's under center mark my words.

Man if you seriously think Troy is better than Alex, you really need to rethink your position. I am not saying Smith is the next Great QB, but man, Troy just stunk after teams saw what his limited abilities were.

You could say the same for Alex...well...not really, since Alex has never had as good a game as Troy has.

I'd much rather take a look at Troy, at least he's raw.

I personally would pick a new QB, but if I had to pick between Troy and Alex....I'm going with Troy, limited playbook, no chemistry, no experience. Wonder how Alex would look in this instance.
Originally posted by excelsior:
The Alex momentum has swung. Over the last few weeks, the possibility of Alex being resigned to be the 49er vet for 2011 has increased from 1% to about 70%. And smart, knowledgeable guys like dj43, MadDog, Backontop, Swagger, and others have been making very good cases for not only why it is likely, but why it is the smartest thing for H. to do.

Unless the Alex critics are prepared to lose the argument through their passive silence, they better rally and try to make a come-back. Right now they are clearly losing, and there is nothing worse than being a "loser."

Alex is currently out the door. Until he re-signs, you "smart, knowledgeable guys" have failed and are just at this point.
Originally posted by excelsior:
The Alex momentum has swung. Over the last few weeks, the possibility of Alex being resigned to be the 49er vet for 2011 has increased from 1% to about 70%. And smart, knowledgeable guys like dj43, MadDog, Backontop, Swagger, and others have been making very good cases for not only why it is likely, but why it is the smartest thing for H. to do.

Unless the Alex critics are prepared to lose the argument through their passive silence, they better rally and try to make a come-back. Right now they are clearly losing, and there is nothing worse than being a "loser."

Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Man if you seriously think Troy is better than Alex, you really need to rethink your position. I am not saying Smith is the next Great QB, but man, Troy just stunk after teams saw what his limited abilities were.

You could say the same for Alex...well...not really, since Alex has never had as good a game as Troy has.

I'd much rather take a look at Troy, at least he's raw.

I personally would pick a new QB, but if I had to pick between Troy and Alex....I'm going with Troy, limited playbook, no chemistry, no experience. Wonder how Alex would look in this instance.

Exactly! Everyone that wants to see what Harbaugh's "magic" can do is sadly mistaken. The issues that plague Alex are ones that are far past the point of correction. Coaching can help Alex, but it will never instill the innate qualities that he lacks (staring down receivers, throwing too high, inability to go through reads, checking down/rolling out during the slightest bit of defensive pressure). How about the most innate quality of them all? The ability to put a team on your back and win games when the pressure is on. That's his biggest setback.

Not ONCE has he shown the ability to lead this team to a win on a final drive or in closing minutes. In fact, he's usually the one that screws it up. He throws picks, coughs up the ball etc.

I've had it.

If anyone makes excuses for this guy, I'm not going to sit an argue with you.
Cheer for him all you want, just know it's a detriment to this team as long as he's on it.
It's hilarious how all these A Smith apologists will make exponential excuses for his terrible play but hold Troy Smith to this ridiculously high standard when he actually does have legitimate excuses (working with a limited playbook, no minicamp/TC, no experience with our coaching staff or personnel, the list goes on and on).
This wasn't about A. Smith yet you guys found a way to turn it into one...

Share 49ersWebzone