There are 194 users in the forums

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Veteran QB will Harbaugh get and why?

Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by RedLion49er:
I actually like Kolb. Is there a way to get this guy?

eagles were asking for TWO 1st last offseason

there is no way in heck they will get two first round pics for him. NO ONE i repeat NO ONE is worth two first round pics. I think your sources might be a little off....
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

I wanna make a thread about that, but no math-magician can count how many bashers are gonna be in there...

I understand their reasoning, but all we need is for everyone to have an open mind especially since money might conflict with who we get. (QB)

Idk, if we get someone better than Alex, I'm all for it, but the chances of that, well aren't really known and so for now I say keep him as a backup. I just think he will serve as a better alternate than anyone else we may have.

I also would have liked to see how Nate Davis performed, but I guess he will have to wait his turn.

Overall, Harbaugh is an intelligent guy, he's no Bill Walsh, (as of now) but we can definitely count on him to really help rebuild this organization just like he did for other teams.

Finally, in good spirits and worry-free confidence, I can indeed say...

Go Niners!

I am always up for an upgrade at any position, but the pickings are slim...very slim.
From that list, Orton is probably the best and most realistic option, with McNabb second. Obviously we have to get a rookie QB to develop because, as evidenced by that list of possible free agent QB's, there ain't much out there.
Originally posted by Multibomber:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Alex Smith is nothing close to a West Coast QB. He lacks everything necessary, besides mobility, to strive in that offense. Your main goal in a WCO is to get YAC, and you do that by hitting your receivers in stride, which he has proven that he is inept at. McNabb would be a decent fit, I think Orton would be a better fit, and the same goes with Kolb, just because they are more accurate passers. Overall, I think he will make a good enough choice for now, I don't expect to find our franchise QB during this offseason, unless they find another Tom Brady like player in the draft...who knows.

LOL. Find a Tom Brady type player in the draft. Good plan...

Dude its a great plan! Find someone who will go down as the best QB in NFL history in the 6th or 7th round... can't be that hard :/

playing QB isn't hard at all...just throw the ball to the open guy...whats so tough about it?
Originally posted by johnontilt:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by RedLion49er:
I actually like Kolb. Is there a way to get this guy?

eagles were asking for TWO 1st last offseason

there is no way in heck they will get two first round pics for him. NO ONE i repeat NO ONE is worth two first round pics. I think your sources might be a little off....

nope, that's their asking price alright
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by mryan1004:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

He hasnt played enough to warrant a future HOF batch, but he's better than anyone else out there......and his age makes him a franchise QB.

McNabb sucks. He's dropped off badly. At this point he's not any better than Alex.

(MCNABB) Because he had one bad season after so many great ones ?

(ALEX) Or because Alex has had so many bad ones that he's bound to have a good one eventually ?

2010 Stats.

Donovan McNabb 14 TD's 15 Int's 77.1 Rating.

Alex Smith 14 TD's 10 Int's 82.1 Rating.

That's the guy you want...

Why dont you go back and tally the stats from 2005 to 2009 and post them for us as well.......so we a better idea of exactly you're comparing.....

Age and injuries have caught up to your guy McNabb. When is the last time you remember him finishing a season? Alex is getting better. McNabb is getting worse.

2005 - 2009 doesn't matter anymore. You are living in the PAST. It's 2011. McNabb will probably be worse in 2011 than he was in 2010. The Redskins almost ran him out of town...

Kurt Warner

2002 (STL) 3 TDs 11 INTs 67.4 rating

2004 (NYG) 6 TDs 4 INTs 86.5 rating

Warner's career was spiraling downwards when Arizona picked him up; he didnt have one bade season (like McNabb).....he had several bad seasons before he got to Zona. We all know how that turned out.

Rich Ganon

1997 (KAN) 7 TDs 4 INTs 79.8 rating

1998 (KAN) 10 TD 6 INTs 80.1 rating

His career was heading downwards before Oakland took him. We all know where that ended.

Randall Cunningham

1994 (PHI) 16 TDs 13 INTS 74.4

He went to Minnesota.........remember how many records that offense broke in 1998 ?

So why are you convinced that McNabb is worthless, when other "failed" QBs have revived their careers at different venues ?
All these options suck. Mark brunell? Really?
brett farve
Alex is as good or better than the other options. Problem is, after being boooed in SF, would he even want to come back? Doubt it. But the scouting report on Alex coming out of college was a perfect WCO type QB. Reid was done with McNabb, Shanahan is done with McNabb, and McNabb is just done period. Our best bet is to draft a couple of QB's and hope one is able to start. And yes we also need a veteran just in case. But, like so many others, whatever Harbaugh wants is fine with me.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
He might be able to do something none of the last couple of coaches could do...coach up Alex Smith.

I wanna make a thread about that, but no math-magician can count how many bashers are gonna be in there...

I understand their reasoning, but all we need is for everyone to have an open mind especially since money might conflict with who we get. (QB)

Idk, if we get someone better than Alex, I'm all for it, but the chances of that, well aren't really known and so for now I say keep him as a backup. I just think he will serve as a better alternate than anyone else we may have.

I also would have liked to see how Nate Davis performed, but I guess he will have to wait his turn.

Overall, Harbaugh is an intelligent guy, he's no Bill Walsh, (as of now) but we can definitely count on him to really help rebuild this organization just like he did for other teams.

Finally, in good spirits and worry-free confidence, I can indeed say...

Go Niners!

I am always up for an upgrade at any position, but the pickings are slim...very slim.

"Coach up" a 7th year veteran, huh ? And which "expert" (besides yourself of course) told you that Alex can excel in an offense in the his first year running it ? Or was his college coach also lost, just like every other NFL analyst that you feel doesnt understand the game as well as you do.......

Originally posted by NinerNation:
brett farve

People have died for less than that
  • fly15
  • Veteran
M. Flynn
Originally posted by B650:
Maybe Flynn from Green Bay.

This the kid looks really good against the pats this year, smart player very accurate know the west coast i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is ZERO chance we will get a guy like Flynn or Kolb. A) Why would those teams give up essential backups at the most important position when they are primed for Super Bowl runs and have starting QB's who have had some fairly serious injury concerns this season? B) Even if they were willing to give them up, the asking price will be WAY too high.
Originally posted by mryan1004:
I think McNabb would be the best fit, since he's already familiar with the WCO and wouldnt have as much difficulty adjusting. Plus, he'd be a good mentor to any rookie trying to learn the ropes in 2011.

However, Im thinking that Harbaugh goes for the "franchise" quarterback. Especially since Luck has decided to hold off on going pro. I wouldnt be surprised to see Kolb here as the QB of the future..........

I have to ask, what has kolb proved? ty detmer looked decent in andy reid's offense...

He's proven enough. He's had success (albeit limited) in the league, which puts him above any rookie QB available in this year's draft. He's MUCH better than Alex; if anyone fails to see that, then they're blind.

He hasnt played enough to warrant a future HOF batch, but he's better than anyone else out there......and his age makes him a franchise QB.

McNabb sucks. He's dropped off badly. At this point he's not any better than Alex.

(MCNABB) Because he had one bad season after so many great ones ?

(ALEX) Or because Alex has had so many bad ones that he's bound to have a good one eventually ?

2010 Stats.

Donovan McNabb 14 TD's 15 Int's 77.1 Rating.

Alex Smith 14 TD's 10 Int's 82.1 Rating.

That's the guy you want...

Why dont you go back and tally the stats from 2005 to 2009 and post them for us as well.......so we a better idea of exactly you're comparing.....

Age and injuries have caught up to your guy McNabb. When is the last time you remember him finishing a season? Alex is getting better. McNabb is getting worse.

2005 - 2009 doesn't matter anymore. You are living in the PAST. It's 2011. McNabb will probably be worse in 2011 than he was in 2010. The Redskins almost ran him out of town...

Kurt Warner

2002 (STL) 3 TDs 11 INTs 67.4 rating

2004 (NYG) 6 TDs 4 INTs 86.5 rating

Warner's career was spiraling downwards when Arizona picked him up; he didnt have one bade season (like McNabb).....he had several bad seasons before he got to Zona. We all know how that turned out.

Rich Ganon

1997 (KAN) 7 TDs 4 INTs 79.8 rating

1998 (KAN) 10 TD 6 INTs 80.1 rating

His career was heading downwards before Oakland took him. We all know where that ended.

Randall Cunningham

1994 (PHI) 16 TDs 13 INTS 74.4

He went to Minnesota.........remember how many records that offense broke in 1998 ?

So why are you convinced that McNabb is worthless, when other "failed" QBs have revived their careers at different venues ?

Very good points. It does happen, but how often? 3-4 times in how many years? The odds are against him. Two very established coaches have given up on him, but he may revive his career in SF. Would be nice to see, I always liked the way he played.
Share 49ersWebzone