There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We should thank Brian Billick

Originally posted by eddie_arkadia:
Originally posted by E-49er:
I think what happen with the Ravens offense while Billick was there was the same thing that happened here since the nolan era started. Too many mistakes at the QB position. Billick had Dilfer,Grbac and Boller as his main starting QBs (anthony wright,jeff blake and chris redman bridged the gap betweeb Grbac and Boller.) We all know Dilfer was asked to just not make mistakes and then was pushed out after the Superbowl to make room for Grbac who retired after just 1 season with the Ravens after playing good in spot duty for the niners. We all know what happened when Boller started. The problem is when you miss at the QB position it sets your franchise back significantly.

If Billick can get the right QB under center for the 49ers if hired, I believe he has enough creativity from his OC calling days at Minnesota to make the 49er offense a formidable one. The other offensive weapins are in place.

Don't forget about Tony Banks and Kordell Stewart!

And Steve McNair who was tragically killed.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
yep Westbrook, Morgan, and Davis all had 70+ yard receiving.

Too bad he couldn't stay around to help out MS.

take his job is what he should do...the way he talks about our playmakers and D and all our talent I think he wants the job

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't mind it.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

take his job is what he should do...the way he talks about our playmakers and D and all our talent I think he wants the job

ok I will try one more time. Where is everyone getting the info about billick helping with a gameplan for Sing?
I think what happen with the Ravens offense while Billick was there was the same thing that happened here since the nolan era started. Too many mistakes at the QB position. Billick had Dilfer,Grbac and Boller as his main starting QBs (anthony wright,jeff blake and chris redman bridged the gap betweeb Grbac and Boller.) We all know Dilfer was asked to just not make mistakes and then was pushed out after the Superbowl to make room for Grbac who retired after just 1 season with the Ravens after playing good in spot duty for the niners. We all know what happened when Boller started. The problem is when you miss at the QB position it sets your franchise back significantly.

If Billick can get the right QB under center for the 49ers if hired, I believe he has enough creativity from his OC calling days at Minnesota to make the 49er offense a formidable one. The other offensive weapins are in place.

I disagree, and am getting pretty alarmed with how the fans here will selectively dismiss a coach's ineptitude just because they think he'll be a good hire.

Brian Billick is a terrible offensive mind. Period. I don't really think it was that hard to call deep routes (in Minnesota) when you had Chris Carter and Randy Moss. He coached the Ravens EIGHT years and his offenses were routinely ranked near the bottom of the league.

I'm not sure if I understand why the same people that want Singletary fired after two and a half years because of his struggles with the offense, but openly support someone who had quadruple that amount of time to get it done and couldn't.

Why should Billick and Gruden get the "he didn't have a QB" pass but not Sing? Especially when they had way longer to show some progress?

Don't mistake this as support for keeping Sing, because I definitely want him gone.

But seriously.....I don't get it.
It's funny how people love and praise Gruden for winning a SB with Dungy's players, but they criticize Billick.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

ok I will try one more time. Where is everyone getting the info about billick helping with a gameplan for Sing?

It's a rumor started in this thread.
Originally posted by baltien:

I disagree, and am getting pretty alarmed with how the fans here will selectively dismiss a coach's ineptitude just because they think he'll be a good hire.

Brian Billick is a terrible offensive mind. Period. I don't really think it was that hard to call deep routes (in Minnesota) when you had Chris Carter and Randy Moss. He coached the Ravens EIGHT years and his offenses were routinely ranked near the bottom of the league.

I'm not sure if I understand why the same people that want Singletary fired after two and a half years because of his struggles with the offense, but openly support someone who had quadruple that amount of time to get it done and couldn't.

Why should Billick and Gruden get the "he didn't have a QB" pass but not Sing? Especially when they had way longer to show some progress?

Don't mistake this as support for keeping Sing, because I definitely want him gone.

I think it's simply a matter of 'anybody but Sing' next year. We really need to get a top notch GM or it isn't going to matter.

Stay within your own standards. Who did he exactly have in Bal to use on O? We all saw Trent Dilfer live and in person here and your telling me thats what he had to work with? We have better tools than they did on O and if we can get a coach that can figure out how to use the most freakish athlete at the TE position then we would probably be better off.
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Stay within your own standards. Who did he exactly have in Bal to use on O? We all saw Trent Dilfer live and in person here and your telling me thats what he had to work with? We have better tools than they did on O and if we can get a coach that can figure out how to use the most freakish athlete at the TE position then we would probably be better off.

It's not necessarily a matter of who he had to work with. It's a matter of how can a coach be so inept at his supposed specialty? I mean, eight years presiding over an offense and you couldn't get them to be at least average?

There's no excuse for that.

***EDIT***

But since you mentioned it, the "no QB to work with" excuse is total crap. Trent Dilfer wasn't the best QB, but he was winning games. And Elvis Grbac, Kordell Stewart, and Steve McNair were all Pro Bowlers that played under Billick.

In the backfield he had Priest Holmes, and Jamal Lewis. At TE he had Heap.

His offenses sucked because he didn't know what he was doing. Not because he didn't have talent to work with.
[ Edited by baltien on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:12 AM ]

It's not necessarily a matter of who he had to work with. It's a matter of how can a coach be so inept at his supposed specialty? I mean, eight years presiding over an offense and you couldn't get them to be at least average?

***EDIT***

But since you mentioned it, the "no QB to work with" excuse is total crap. Trent Dilfer wasn't the best QB, but he was winning games. And Elvis Grbac, Kordell Stewart, and Steve McNair were all Pro Bowlers that played under Billick.

His offenses sucked because he didn't know what he was doing. Not because he didn't have talent to work with.

Dilfer didn't lose games. Its a stretch to say he went out there and "won" games, he just handed the ball off and didn't throw interceptions.
Originally posted by jta854:
Dilfer didn't lose games. Its a stretch to say he went out there and "won" games, he just handed the ball off and didn't throw interceptions.

Well if he wasn't losing them then he was winning. My point isn't to say that Dilfer was an All-Star QB, but he did have a Pro Bowl and Super Bowl victory under Billick.

Won largely in part to the defense I know, but still.

***EDIT***

I wouldn't be thrilled with Billick being hired, but at the same time, people seem to think that the ONLY reason he did well in Minnesota was because of Randy Moss. He was only there for Moss's rookie season. Even before than, the offenses he ran in Minneota finished near the top of the league. finishing in the top 10 in yards and points four times and the top 5 twice. Again, this is before Randy Moss.

In regards to the talent in Baltimore, it sounds like he had a less talented team than we do on offense. I don't really count Priest Holmes because he didn't really get going until he got to Kansas City. Jamal Lewis was a good back, who had one outstanding season. That leaves Todd Heap and a slew of good (McNair), but mostly average to terrible (Dilfer, Boller, Grbac, Stewart) quaterbacks and a front office that focused mainly on the defense.

I wouldn't be thrilled with the hire, but I won't write him off as a terrible offensive mind either.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I don't want him to bring his low scoring style from baltimore here, we had enough of the baltimore nolanterry era.

edit: don't want jeff fisher either.

Hey unst4bl, don't pop off without knowing the facts. Here is Billick's track record when he was an assistant coach with the Vikings:

Assistant Coach

The Vikings made the playoffs during six of the seven seasons (1992–1998) that Billick spent with the team, and set several offensive records in the process. In 1998, Minnesota set a then-NFL record for most points scored in a season (556) (which has since been broken by the 2007 Patriots), and set a team record with 41 touchdown passes. His work under Minnesota head coach Dennis Green put Billick in the Sid Gillman coaching tree.

When he was a head coach, he played to his teams strengths and ended up with a Super Bowl ring. He wasn't the offensive coordinator for those Ravens teams, and they won according to the talent they had on the squad.[/quoNice bro
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I wouldn't be thrilled with Billick being hired, but at the same time, people seem to think that the ONLY reason he did well in Minnesota was because of Randy Moss. He was only there for Moss's rookie season. Even before than, the offenses he ran in Minneota finished near the top of the league. finishing in the top 10 in yards and points four times and the top 5 twice. Again, this is before Randy Moss.

In regards to the talent in Baltimore, it sounds like he had a less talented team than we do on offense. I don't really count Priest Holmes because he didn't really get going until he got to Kansas City. Jamal Lewis was a good back, who had one outstanding season. That leaves Todd Heap and a slew of good (McNair), but mostly average to terrible (Dilfer, Boller, Grbac, Stewart) quaterbacks and a front office that focused mainly on the defense.

I wouldn't be thrilled with the hire, but I won't write him off as a terrible offensive mind either.

Jamal Lewis only had one year in Baltimore where he didn't crack 1,000 yards (due to injury):
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2136

And having Priest Holmes as your second string tailback is never a bad thing. The QB's you mentioned all have multiple Pro Bowls between them, so it's highly unlikely they ALL suddenly regressed after joining the Ravens. You raise a good point about his time in Minnesota, but he hasn't done jack since.

And it's not because he didn't have talent. He just couldn't put it together.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Billick is pretty sharp and seems the type to evolve from the wisdom he's gained over the years,
I think he willl be a much better coach the next time he gets the chance
He's had 2 or 3 years to analyze how every team in the league does things

Billick often writes of how important the structure of a team is.
from the front office down, Philosophies Jed may be intrested in

And he is already known as one of the best at developing other coaches