LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

We should thank Brian Billick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We should thank Alex smith Vernon Davis Brian Westbrook and Josh Morgan and the great defense 5 turnovers. I have nothing against Brian Billick his track record for Vikings with dennis green was great as OC. Maybe we could hire him to be next OC but not head coach his raven teams won because of great defense not low scoring offense. Plus if we win out and make playoffs that enough progress to keep Mike Singletary
(we need a [this] smiley. Sorry not to mock you just pointing out an obvious necessity.

ANYWHO... I would be all for bringing Billick in as an OC but I'm not certain that he'd be willing to come back to the League as a Coach if it isn't the Executive Chair. He is a Super Bowl winning Coach after all. And pretty much the only willing candidate that ran his own team and not someone else's. It would be a tough sell unless he was willing to help Sing get his coaching legs fully under him and at the same time get some work in to get prepared in his own right. Even so, that's an obvious error because we can't keep a legitimate Coordinator for longer than a year and we can't keep plugging in replacements out of the Assistant Staff.

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by E-49er:
I think what happen with the Ravens offense while Billick was there was the same thing that happened here since the nolan era started. Too many mistakes at the QB position. Billick had Dilfer,Grbac and Boller as his main starting QBs (anthony wright,jeff blake and chris redman bridged the gap betweeb Grbac and Boller.) We all know Dilfer was asked to just not make mistakes and then was pushed out after the Superbowl to make room for Grbac who retired after just 1 season with the Ravens after playing good in spot duty for the niners. We all know what happened when Boller started. The problem is when you miss at the QB position it sets your franchise back significantly.

If Billick can get the right QB under center for the 49ers if hired, I believe he has enough creativity from his OC calling days at Minnesota to make the 49er offense a formidable one. The other offensive weapins are in place.

I disagree, and am getting pretty alarmed with how the fans here will selectively dismiss a coach's ineptitude just because they think he'll be a good hire.

Brian Billick is a terrible offensive mind. Period. I don't really think it was that hard to call deep routes (in Minnesota) when you had Chris Carter and Randy Moss. He coached the Ravens EIGHT years and his offenses were routinely ranked near the bottom of the league.

I'm not sure if I understand why the same people that want Singletary fired after two and a half years because of his struggles with the offense, but openly support someone who had quadruple that amount of time to get it done and couldn't.

Why should Billick and Gruden get the "he didn't have a QB" pass but not Sing? Especially when they had way longer to show some progress?

Don't mistake this as support for keeping Sing, because I definitely want him gone.

But seriously.....I don't get it.

I think it's simply a matter of 'anybody but Sing' next year. We really need to get a top notch GM or it isn't going to matter.

See, this is what I don't get. For 2 decades we didn't really have a "GM". It was a shared responsibility between the more experienced Football men in the building. This was of course during Eddie D's time as the Owner. He even stated that we have MORE people in the building now than when he was the owner. This isn't counting the Stadium team. The problem we have is that we don't have many "Football" men in the building right now. Marathe as good as he is with contracts isn't a Football guy by nature. Sing knows players but he doesn't understand much about the day to day operations aspect. You can tell when he says that he has to go back to look at the film to see what he was thinking. A Football guy should be able to rattle it off with machine gun precision. "I was doing this because of this..." that's not to say he's not Football savvy he just doesn't understand yet. He's a work in progress. I think that is probably the sole reason the Players are still with him. He's a players coach who at the same time is Green. Hell coach Walsh had a guy in the building that really was a Football guy. Thos e kind of guys are needed too. But the problem seems to be that we have too many non Football men in the building and not enough experienced men. Rathman as good a player as he was? I'm not sure he qualifies. Manusky too.

But here is something that 49ers fans don't get. Not right now anyway. To get experience in this league you go with old recycled Coaches or you take your lumps and get someone green and let them grow into the position. I ain't saying I like it. But just stop and think for a moment. Should we Win out (doubtful as it is) Sing will have two .500 seasons. Coach Walsh wasn't even .500 in his first two seasons and he's "the Genius".

Not saying that Sing will even be mentioned in the same breath as the "Greatest of All-Time" like he would like to be someday known as. But we have to have some perspective here.

'79 team was 2-14 and '80 team was 6-10. I'm pretty certain that Bill could have gone someplace with this team. Even with Alex under Center. But that man had Coaching in his veins. He was a teacher at it's highest form and that helped him pass it along to his players. Sing doesn't have that to fall back on. He only has his experience and the teacher is going to take time to develop. I would hope that given the state of the League going into next season and an OBVIOUS competitive market for Football Coaches already, that maybe we could deal with one more season.

I don't like it any more than you guys, but it's HIGHLY doubtful, that we could even get Gruden, Billick or Cowher. It was doubtful coming into the season even.

I apologize for posting this, but I have been giving this a lot of thought. Maybe someone can give their perspective on who we'd go after if Sing were fired today and how we'd keep the rest of the league from pursuing them while we were. Especially with Minnesota, Dallas and the Broncos all looking and having more money at their disposal than the Yorks do.

Scratch that. Make that Dallas and Denver. I know the Vikings dome is insured but that top and all the wiring and electronics is going to be spendy.So we've got a stadium to fund and they have roofing issues. lol

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Dec 13, 2010 at 7:10 AM ]
One reason I like the idea of hiring Billick for HC is that he may very well retain Mike Johnson as his OC... and that's looking like a good thing. They have worked with each other in the past, so I can see it working for us here. This then makes more sense to retain Alex Smith if he keeps playing well and wants to stay. Yes, yes... we still must make adding a QB a priority regardless.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Billick seems like the type of hire the Yorks would make: dry and uninspiring.

you are going to rate the hiring now? Billick is a Super Bowl coach and he is outspoken, the beat reporters would be drooling if he got hired, you will have to watch the film just to hear what he says, instead of that being the same answer murmured over and over again.

Yeah, yeah, I know he was good with the vikings and had a Super Bowl 10 years ago. Then what happened? His loud mouth could never figure out how to produce a half decent offense, and wasted the ravens' D. So yes, I think he's a boring hire, and would probably be the cheapest big name.

maybe they can hire him as a President of Football ops!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
One reason I like the idea of hiring Billick for HC is that he may very well retain Mike Johnson as his OC... and that's looking like a good thing. They have worked with each other in the past, so I can see it working for us here. This then makes more sense to retain Alex Smith if he keeps playing well and wants to stay. Yes, yes... we still must make adding a QB a priority regardless.

Don't forget that Sing also worked with Billick in the past. Billick is still in Sing's corner. At least when he talks about Sing it comes off that way. I could be reading too much into the things he says though.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Don't forget that Sing also worked with Billick in the past. Billick is still in Sing's corner. At least when he talks about Sing it comes off that way. I could be reading too much into the things he says though.

~Ceadder

Ah yes... not sure noting this is relevant or just an FYI. I don't see Billick turning the job offer down just because he likes and has worked with Singletary prior.
Originally posted by Hctr:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I don't want him to bring his low scoring style from baltimore here, we had enough of the baltimore nolanterry era.

edit: don't want jeff fisher either.

Hey unst4bl, don't pop off without knowing the facts. Here is Billick's track record when he was an assistant coach with the Vikings:

Assistant Coach

The Vikings made the playoffs during six of the seven seasons (1992–1998) that Billick spent with the team, and set several offensive records in the process. In 1998, Minnesota set a then-NFL record for most points scored in a season (556) (which has since been broken by the 2007 Patriots), and set a team record with 41 touchdown passes. His work under Minnesota head coach Dennis Green put Billick in the Sid Gillman coaching tree.

When he was a head coach, he played to his teams strengths and ended up with a Super Bowl ring. He wasn't the offensive coordinator for those Ravens teams, and they won according to the talent they had on the squad.[/quoNice bro

Billicks offensive teams sucked period, even if he had good stats in a few seasons with 3-4 pro bowlers on the vikings team.

The super bowl ring he has, came on the backs of the defense that year, the offense that year prob scored less per game than ours does.

so gtfo of here trying to use those lame stats, thats like people who use stats to say Alex smith is better than he really is.
Absolutely...he gets that we have playmakers and that Alex can get them the ball. What's sad is it took Singletary 'til game #13 (and Gore's injury) to open up the offense. It just shows the difference between a coach like Billick, who understands modern offense and that the Niners have the players to succeed, but Singletary doesn't and is really holding the team back.
IF Billick is hired...

Even if Billick were brought in to be OC/asst HC under Sing (or a new guy), it wouldn't solve anything. Just like the Norv hire, it would be just a temporary stint in SF.

I'd prefer to see Billick as HC and retain Sing as Asst HC. Sing is good around the players. He just needs to learn the strategy/management side of the game.
I don't discount Mike Johnson's overall gameplan this week but when MS and BB had some conversation during the week in preparation to Sunday's game, BB gave his insight about the Seachicken's weaknesses as a team (prowess in scouting the other team and knowing how to attack them). As much as MS wanted to run the ball, he actually listened to BB and gave MJ a go ahead to spread the ball around. End of story.

My point is, MS would not open up the passing game like they did even if MJ would plead to MS. MS is so stubborn, he'd rather lose a game running the ball, than allowing the offense to pass more with interceptions but win.

So long as we have MS in control, the running game will kill this season this Thursday.
They will try to run the ball against the cha'gers and get spanked around like the Chiefos.

~Ceadder

Ah yes... not sure noting this is relevant or just an FYI. I don't see Billick turning the job offer down just because he likes and has worked with Singletary prior.

Apologies. I'm battling an extremely bad cold, so didn't think to mention that it was in an FWIW reference.

But I guess I deserve the cold since I took a shower just before heading out the door to go to Traffic Court and had only towel dried the hair.

Tylenol Cold and Flu Formula is a waste of money. Every 4 freakin hours. No sleep for me if I want to feel better.

Sorry now I'm just rambling.

~Ceadder
This inflammatory statement really gained some traction in good ol' NT lol! Go back and read Sam's first 3 posts and witness the subsequent fan boy hard on that was incited, then tell me this isn't the official "I want Brian Billick to coach the 9ers/have his anal babies" thread.

Way to plant those seeds Sam. I'll never underestimate your sneaky ever again

IMO, Brian Billick is one of the worst choices we could make at HC as he seems to need to walk into the ideal scenario to succeed.....sounds familiar We have our own version of Culpepper i.e: a dumbass that can throw 50 yard seeds while "gettin' his roll on" (Nate), but no Randy Moss' on this roster. The offensive lines...why bother making the comparisons; ours is injured but getting better, that's the most Canadian way I can think of to put it. Let's not even get into looking at his past defenses and compare them to ours because it's pretty much just embarrassing; we should be ashamed to call ourselves a 3-4 and that is also the most Canadian way I can think of to say that

Besides, every QB he ever had who performed, was a proven vet that he ran into by accident, or exhibit A back there; he never was able to draft and develop his own guy during his entire tenure as Ravens HC. That's all on him and the people he hired. Big thumbs down despite our mutual love of Bill Walsh.

Now if we're talking OC, that's another story. This is a job I think he can handle, where he doesn't have final say personnel wise, but still has input. Then he can focus on doing what he does best and plays that chess game on sunday...and sometimes thursday...but probably not on monday next year. Could he swallow his pride and play second fiddle though? I always found him to be exceedingly arrogant during his time as the Ravens HC and I'm not sure that's a character trait that you can just bury. Mind you, getting fired has a way of humbling a guy. I think he could have an excellent career as an OC. There's no shame in that.

That whole post was me just putting the cart before the horse, and reading what others posted while I was outside working I can see my post is completely redundant. I'm not erasing it lol! Entirely too long as per my usual. HC is not priority. The problems start higher up and any conversation we have regarding the on field staff before upper management is dealt with is moo...it's a cow's opinion, it just doesn't matter.
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Dec 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM ]

Apologies. I'm battling an extremely bad cold, so didn't think to mention that it was in an FWIW reference.

But I guess I deserve the cold since I took a shower just before heading out the door to go to Traffic Court and had only towel dried the hair.

Tylenol Cold and Flu Formula is a waste of money. Every 4 freakin hours. No sleep for me if I want to feel better.

Sorry now I'm just rambling.

~Ceadder

Haha, no worries. Feel better, and stop feeding the jackals that are trying to get you booted from the forum. That would be one less good member here, and there are already few enough!
Originally posted by Hctr:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I don't want him to bring his low scoring style from baltimore here, we had enough of the baltimore nolanterry era.

edit: don't want jeff fisher either.

Hey unst4bl, don't pop off without knowing the facts. Here is Billick's track record when he was an assistant coach with the Vikings:

Assistant Coach

The Vikings made the playoffs during six of the seven seasons (1992–1998) that Billick spent with the team, and set several offensive records in the process. In 1998, Minnesota set a then-NFL record for most points scored in a season (556) (which has since been broken by the 2007 Patriots), and set a team record with 41 touchdown passes. His work under Minnesota head coach Dennis Green put Billick in the Sid Gillman coaching tree.

When he was a head coach, he played to his teams strengths and ended up with a Super Bowl ring. He wasn't the offensive coordinator for those Ravens teams, and they won according to the talent they had on the squad.[/quoNice bro

Billicks offensive teams sucked period, even if he had good stats in a few seasons with 3-4 pro bowlers on the vikings team.

The super bowl ring he has, came on the backs of the defense that year, the offense that year prob scored less per game than ours does.

so gtfo of here trying to use those lame stats, thats like people who use stats to say Alex smith is better than he really is.

Okay lucid moment hit me when I was reading your post...

1st) Does it really matter which side of the ball ANY coach rode to get their Ring? Teams generally get there because one side of the ball is performing at a high level. BUT... in this case the Ravens Offense was pretty good in the Big Game. Stop hating on their Offense just cause their Defense was the best of all time(Super Bowl era) it's not how you get there but what you do when you ARE there.

2nd)You poo poo the idea of him coming in as an OC(the gist of what I'm reading) because he had 3-4 Pro Bowl players at that time. The Pro Bowl players is pretty spot on. BUT we have our fair share of Pro Bowl capable Players as well. Vernon Davis and Frank Gore come to mind. Don't you think that with Billick as our OC using the Offense from that era of the Vikings coupled with Alex Smith we might be able to send one or two more to the Pro Bowl in addition? Like their Pro Bowl players before them, ours didn't get there on their own. Say what you want but Davis specifically, got there because Alex threw those Passes to him.

3)Alex has a pretty high percentage. Not QB rating. I'm talking specifically about the number of completions to the number of attempts. Last season he was in the top 10 for a good bit of his season(60.5%) and this year he's (59.5%) only one percent shy of what he had last year. His Red Zone stats are in the 80s' or 90s' even. That's not made up it's not bogus etc. Just admit you don't like the guy and move on. Don't waste another second thinking about it. You want him gone, there is nothing anyone can say or do to change your mind and it's off topic. I'm only posting about it cause you incited for it. Not that I'm butt hurt about it just sayin this is about Sing and Billick.

Alex IS better than you believe tho, stats aren't exactly proof of this. But then neither is your opinion. When you get paid the big bucks to make these decisions, I'll be more apt to take your word for it. And you likewise my word I'm sure. But I won't hold my breath.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by strickac:
IF Billick is hired...

Even if Billick were brought in to be OC/asst HC under Sing (or a new guy), it wouldn't solve anything. Just like the Norv hire, it would be just a temporary stint in SF.

I'd prefer to see Billick as HC and retain Sing as Asst HC. Sing is good around the players. He just needs to learn the strategy/management side of the game.

Sing needs to go period, he can go somewhere else to learn the ropes.
Share 49ersWebzone