Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
A

One week of practice, and he has the best QB performance of the year. Definitely cannot ask more than that.

Not to mention he was working with a limited play book.

Alex fanboys will find a reason to dismiss Troy's performance. A lucky throw (one Alex would have never attempted due to lack of testicular fortitude) or "it's the Broncos and they suck" will probably be the main reasons.

it was an awful pass that should not have been attempted.

That pass was thrown on the money! What are you all talking about? He did what playmakers do and you all are extreme haters!

On the money? That pass gets picked off 9 out of 10 times. He wasn't only lucky it was a completion, he's very lucky it wasn't a turnover.
Wow! B's. Winning buys you a lot around here. I gave em a D. Not because I thought he played bad; considering his circumstances he did good. I gave em a D because I think it's evident he doesn't have enough of an operable grasp of our offense to open up the playbook (I use that last phrase loosely, I know). Let's be real here though; the defense kept us in this one. Bend but don't break is ugly, but they are what they are. They get the B to me.

He definitely has more zip on his ball and more importantly, his ball wasn't up. When he did miss today I think it was genuine confusion on his part and not so much inaccuracy (other than one he threw behind Norris and the 1st throw of the game; both were probably good misses anyway as I remember them). Still, you gotta know what you're doing to land a B. Come on guys

It's easy to chalk this one up to play calling again, but we never seen this level of chicken sh*t play calling all year. There has to be a reason and I have to believe Troy doesn't have enough knowledge at this point, evidenced by the sheer volume of screens and slants we ran, especially in the 1st half, coupled with comments made earlier in the week by the coaching staff.

I'm sure he was uncomfortable in the pocket today and that's understandable given what happened last week, but even when he got outside of the pocket it was a heart attack waiting to happen. He got EXTREMELY lucky outside the pocket twice today: In the 1st half when he escaped left and dropped the ball which bounced right back to him lol!, and that hail mary he lobbed up to Walker almost blew the top of my head off. I couldn't believe he let that go, but whatever.....it worked

Again; the D grade I give has nothing to do with effort or anything like that. He played the hand he was dealt and did more than enough in crunch time to pull out the W. His circumstance and this offensive line dictates his level of play and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can pick up with 2 weeks of 1st team reps. I really do hope he still has the reigns after this week. Alex had his turn and Troy at the very least earned a 2nd look after the way he battled today IMHO
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
With one week to prepare, new OC, new playbook, new teammates and only three game experience, shoooot I gotta give him a A. Lets also add that Vernon Davis was out for most of the game.

Oh one more thing, no turnovers.

Ummmm he's had SEVEN weeks and Training Camp to prepare. The lone bright spot here is that he takes his job as a backup seriously. He probably practices like he's going to start and THAT is what you are supposed to do.

I wish people would stop making this something it ain't. It's not heroic and it's not unexpected(other than by us fans) that a 3rd string QB had a decent performance.

What's sad is that Carr was above Troy Smith on the Depth Chart. I think Carr still has some gas in the tank, but he sure didn't do himself any favors with this team when he had his shot. He didn't even give the critics something to blog about.

Now they have something to blog about and as always it will be to blow smoke up our bums regarding someone not named Alex.

~Ceadder

Ummm for one, 3rd string QB's run the scout team and don't get ANY reps with the first team. Two, Troy Smith was signed AFTER training camp.
Originally posted by Niners209:
No Mistakes..made plays when we needed him to.. I say B-. I want to see more of him with better play calling and it could get interesting.

There were PLENTY of mistakes by Smith. They just didn't show up on the scoreboard. Some of them even went for positives. But that doesn't make them non-mistakes.
With one week to prepare, new OC, new playbook, new teammates and only three game experience, shoooot I gotta give him a A. Lets also add that Vernon Davis was out for most of the game.

Ummmm he's had SEVEN weeks and Training Camp to prepare. The lone bright spot here is that he takes his job as a backup seriously. He probably practices like he's going to start and THAT is what you are supposed to do.

I wish people would stop making this something it ain't. It's not heroic and it's not unexpected(other than by us fans) that a 3rd string QB had a decent performance.

What's sad is that Carr was above Troy Smith on the Depth Chart. I think Carr still has some gas in the tank, but he sure didn't do himself any favors with this team when he had his shot. He didn't even give the critics something to blog about.

Now they have something to blog about and as always it will be to blow smoke up our bums regarding someone not named Alex.

~Ceadder

Ummm for one, 3rd string QB's run the scout team and don't get ANY reps with the first team. Two, Troy Smith was signed AFTER training camp.

I've come to the conclusion that Ceadder just likes to mess with us. But I do think Troy deserves no more than a C+
Those play actions we ran over and over and over were working almost every time against the Broncos and he had more time in the pocket (there actually was a pocket for more than 1.5 seconds) than any 49er QB we've seen in a couple years and he still didn't look very good for the most part. That TD pass to Crabtree was perfect. Even though the DB made a mistake and left him alone the read was right on and so was the throw. Aside from that a lot of average to below average throws. Any of our QB's (almost any NFL QB) would have had no problem on that TD he ran in (which was the called play). I gave him a C.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

~Ceadder

I've come to the conclusion that Ceadder just likes to mess with us. But I do think Troy deserves no more than a C+

I don't think that's true dude. He put up a passer rating of 115+, and he scored 2 TDs. He kept some plays alive and avoided negative yardage with his legs. He also didn't turn it over. I really like Troy Smith, he did a good job. Sure he missed a few throws but he had to deal with crappy playcalling too, just the same as Alex Smith has. I graded him an A but I think he deserves about a B. But he still got the job done even though he had to evade rushers because of the young OL, didn't get many throws because of Sing's conservative play calling, and he hadn't taken any snaps hardly prior to this week. He did a good job, hopefully he can keep doing a good job. That back shoulder throw to Crabtree for the TD was friggin beautiful.
He gets a C+/B from me..

Didnt dazzle, made a few key throws but u expect a Pro QB to make those.. Got lucky on a couple completions. looked like he was off with timing on a screen to Ginn and a few balls thrown to Crabs..
I still think Alex Smith is the top QB when healthy, as far as timing with his receivers, arm stregnth down the field, Alex gets the leg up.. accuaracy can be a toss up but Troy did extend the play on a few key conversions which you dont see much with Alex
Less than a week of practice, after flying to Europe and having all sorts of distractions surrounding him...having never taken first team snaps..Denver knows he's playing, so they are prepared for this play style..

passer rating of 115.2, makes throws Alex likely doesn't even attempt(I support Alex), evades pressure...MAKES plays, rather than giving up on them...

quite happy...though i think the natural chemistry between he and Ginn need to be taken advantage of more..
Originally posted by Peanut49:
No way you can give this guy a solid B. C'mon what game were you guys watching? If this was 9ers Saints we'da gotten our asses kicked in.

This is 9ers Broncos. A team that has ZERO Pass Rush and has Bad Run Defense. You make the kind of mistakes that T.Smith was making today and this is yet another Loss.

I'm happy that we got the W and I'll take it gratefully but I'm not gonna give the kid a B. He doesn't deserve it and you know it. Your letting your emotions affect your grade.

~Ceadder

But you have been give Alex and A+ all season. Your credibility is hsot my friend..LOL!

When? I never graded ANY game by Alex and if I did it sure as hell wouldn't be an A+. You're talking out your ass.

~Ceadder

What about the game against the Saints?

C+ and Troy was about a C in this one.

Thank you. If I were to grade(or if I did grade it) it would've had to be a C+.

I'm starting to think this is a 2nd half team.

~Ceadder

I was alluding to the fact that you DID grade Alex after the Saints game and you gave him an A. I have the quote if you need it.

But I agree about Troy Smith. I'd give Troy Smith about a C+

I stand corrected. That seems like it happened last season.

~Ceadder

B-, I guess it helps to be lucky because if it was Alex out there that throw up would have been a pick 6 and that fumble would have bounced to the defense. It helps that the OL didn't let any free rushers at him, blocked well in pass and run, didn't have any false starts, didn't have any holds and didn't have any personal fouls. Basically, didn't beat themselves and hurt the QB like they did in most of the other games. The defense got turnovers as well. Plus we ran the ball well and when we do that plus don't turn the ball over, DL gets turnovers and OL blocks well we can win with Alex or Troy Smith.
I'd say B-. Like many of you said, he's been collecting rust as 3rd stringer. He had one week to prepare and get his sht together, rhythm, timing etc..

The biggest problem I had with him was his lack of touch on shorter passing routes; waaaaay too much heat, but that goes back to the lack of reps, not only as a Niner, but also for his career.

Based on what I've seen, he should get better as the season moves forward.

PS: COACH SING, Troy can't play with one hand tied around his balls, set him free and let him use that beautiful big arm of his.

Originally posted by Peanut49:
No way you can give this guy a solid B. C'mon what game were you guys watching? If this was 9ers Saints we'da gotten our asses kicked in.

This is 9ers Broncos. A team that has ZERO Pass Rush and has Bad Run Defense. You make the kind of mistakes that T.Smith was making today and this is yet another Loss.

I'm happy that we got the W and I'll take it gratefully but I'm not gonna give the kid a B. He doesn't deserve it and you know it. Your letting your emotions affect your grade.

~Ceadder

But you have been give Alex and A+ all season. Your credibility is hsot my friend..LOL!

When? I never graded ANY game by Alex and if I did it sure as hell wouldn't be an A+. You're talking out your ass.

~Ceadder

What about the game against the Saints?

C+ and Troy was about a C in this one.

Thank you. If I were to grade(or if I did grade it) it would've had to be a C+.

I'm starting to think this is a 2nd half team.

~Ceadder

I was alluding to the fact that you DID grade Alex after the Saints game and you gave him an A. I have the quote if you need it.

But I agree about Troy Smith. I'd give Troy Smith about a C+

I stand corrected. That seems like it happened last season.

~Ceadder

I think losing season's just run longer.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
B-, I guess it helps to be lucky because if it was Alex out there that throw up would have been a pick 6 and that fumble would have bounced to the defense. It helps that the OL didn't let any free rushers at him, blocked well in pass and run, didn't have any false starts, didn't have any holds and didn't have any personal fouls. Basically, didn't beat themselves and hurt the QB like they did in most of the other games. The defense got turnovers as well. Plus we ran the ball well and when we do that plus don't turn the ball over, DL gets turnovers and OL blocks well we can win with Alex or Troy Smith.

Something we haven't seen so far this season.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

All great points, and with it said, I do briefly think about "the luck" factor or lack thereof. Does seem like Alex is cursed or something... very strange.
Share 49ersWebzone