LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Originally posted by dtcomposer:
does anybody else not see that when A. Smith has had almost identical games to this the same people who are giving T. Smith an A+ give Smith a D- ? Doesn't that seem a little bit inconsistent?

The last time I checked the question wasn't "Grade T. Smith juxtaposing hi performance with How you feel about A. Smith, no matter how irrational that hate has been". It is like ten thousand 12 year old's have taken over NT...

Anyway, I will give T. Smith a B for the game. He didn't do much, and had some luck, but he made a few big plays and had to fight against pitiful situational play-calling for much of the game. Also Vernon went down and he still came through so that was nice. I liked his command in the pocket, and his ability to move around. I didn't like his decision making all the time. He needs to be more careful against better defensive squads ecause he got lucky a few times out there.

See it isn't that hard to be unbiased. I want to make sure everyone notices how much the supposedly "biased, myopic etc" Alex fans are being fair with T. Smith. Can't say that for the haters who STILL talk about him even when he wasn't in the game, and incorporate him in their grading systems. Stay Classy Ninertalk.

I don't agree with your grade but I agree with everything else.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by luis1985:
B- Troy, F playcalling. Even though he got lucky, he at least had the balls to throw it.
We need a spark and he made it happen. We were 1-6 who cares.

And no people this isn't Alex's team. I don't think he is going to start forthe 49ers again unless T. Smith messes up big time.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by CheapThrill:
stop saying the Hail Mary pass to D Walker was lucky. If it was Brett Favre everyone would be saying what a great QB he is for making something happen. A win is a win and I'll take it. if it were either of the other 2 we would have lost.

I swear that I thought the same exact thing to myself! If it was Bret, it would have been an amazing play. But because it was Troy, it was lucky. The pass hit him right on stride and there was no jump ball where Walker had to ake it from a defender. That was a great play!

When Brett beat us last year at the end of the game was that a lucky pass, you bet it was but he was a hero. Today Troy got lucky also but good QB's always have a little luck.
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by CheapThrill:
stop saying the Hail Mary pass to D Walker was lucky. If it was Brett Favre everyone would be saying what a great QB he is for making something happen. A win is a win and I'll take it. if it were either of the other 2 we would have lost.

Sorry guy. I'm pretty sure if any QB/anywhere made that throw and it was caught it would still be labeled stupid and lucky.

What about the Eli Manning/David Tyree Super Bowl catch? Eli Manning was considered a God after that play.

Never did I ever think Eli was a god. It's considered a great play because of how Eli got away from the sack. He also was able to step up and into that throw. Troy did it running backwards off his back foot. Shows he has an arm and some legs under him, but that is about it.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I thought he looked good, especially after just one week of first team reps.

But I didn't think he looked like someone that will beat good teams. He just a looked a little too erratic and inaccurate.

I don't want to tear the guy down because he made some great plays and got us a win. But that was a pretty bad team we went up against, and we punted a lot.

I think that will improve with more reps..........how much I don't know.....and neither does anyone else.

63% and no interceptions with a win on a team that has been killed by QB play and you all suggest that he was erractic? LOL amazing!

They're still holding on to the other Smith, the lesser Smith, the s**tty QB that's been starting for us for half a decade now

Ok, now you're just making assumptions about my position.

I'm not saying I want the other Smith in there. I don't think it's working with him either.

I'm just saying that I thought Troy looked a little erratic, and in this game, against this poor team, he was lucky and didn't pay for it. But I think against better teams if he plays like that he doesn't get as lucky.

His pocket presence was really impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from him. But he doesn't look the guy that makes you say, "why even bother drafting a new QB?"
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Ummmm he's had SEVEN weeks and Training Camp to prepare.

Huh!? You mean all those reps he had with the first team throughout those 7 weeks of "preparation"? ......oh... wait........

Do you know what a frigging playbook is? Regardless of personnel the plays are the same. Johnson didn't just throw it out and start drawing up plays in the dirt. Geezus, you might try listening to announcers instead of tuning them out. That and Bill, Joe and Steve(Bono and Young) have all said what good backups do to prepare. So pound sand.

~Ceadder
Playing call is terrible; run, run, pass, punt…."Football for Dummies” pick it up on Amazon if you are defending against us.

We got Ginn for 2 reasons, returns and stretching the field; only one is be use o date, returns. Troy looked good with less than a week and a 3rd string QB. He was mobile, strong arm on passing and read/released on the coverage quickly. Give him 2 weeks to prep and the start, can not be any worst and is young.

JohnL
I give him a C. He did alright. I think many of us have very low standards now at QB
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Ummmm he's had SEVEN weeks and Training Camp to prepare.

Huh!? You mean all those reps he had with the first team throughout those 7 weeks of "preparation"? ......oh... wait........

Do you know what a frigging playbook is? Regardless of personnel the plays are the same. Johnson didn't just throw it out and start drawing up plays in the dirt. Geezus, you might try listening to announcers instead of tuning them out. That and Bill, Joe and Steve(Bono and Young) have all said what good backups do to prepare. So pound sand.

~Ceadder

Listen the guy was impressive given this is only his 3rd start with only 1 week to work with the starters and with that having to practice out of their element. Just think what he can do with more time with the first team.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
If it wasn't for that lucky pass to Walker his stats very well could have been 11/19 158yds 1td 1int, he also had a very lucky bounce on a fumble.

He didn't turn it over although and I'll give him a C+

I wouldn't deny any of what you said. To be honest I didn't really care if we won the game. I just wanted to see something different than the garbage QB play we've seen from Alex and David Carr. Troy got away with a couple of things but he played as if he had nothing to loose. He took a chance. Alex plays toooo safe "which he admitted" and that causes the turnovers, and Carr, "why is he even still in the league. Dude has been done since he let Houston.

Originally posted by boast:
remember, the Raiders threw up a 59 on them.

Fair point.
Just got back. He did really well. I will give him a B for now and I think he has a future, maybe at starter or at second stringer.

Goodbye Mr Carr
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
does anybody else not see that when A. Smith has had almost identical games to this the same people who are giving T. Smith an A+ give Smith a D- ? Doesn't that seem a little bit inconsistent?

The last time I checked the question wasn't "Grade T. Smith juxtaposing hi performance with How you feel about A. Smith, no matter how irrational that hate has been". It is like ten thousand 12 year old's have taken over NT...

Anyway, I will give T. Smith a B for the game. He didn't do much, and had some luck, but he made a few big plays and had to fight against pitiful situational play-calling for much of the game. Also Vernon went down and he still came through so that was nice. I liked his command in the pocket, and his ability to move around. I didn't like his decision making all the time. He needs to be more careful against better defensive squads ecause he got lucky a few times out there.

See it isn't that hard to be unbiased. I want to make sure everyone notices how much the supposedly "biased, myopic etc" Alex fans are being fair with T. Smith. Can't say that for the haters who STILL talk about him even when he wasn't in the game, and incorporate him in their grading systems. Stay Classy Ninertalk.

I don't agree with your grade but I agree with everything else.

~Ceadder

i agree with everything dtcomposer says, except for the 12 year olds "taking over" Niner Talk. Niner Talk is and has always been a bunch of 12 year olds.
Originally posted by danimal:
I give him a C. He did alright. I think many of us have very low standards now at QB

Yep. It's an A based on the Alex Curve.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
B

He should not of thrown that pass to Delanie and the first throw he made was a bad read.

Other than he did fine but the play calling was atrocious. I hope sing is fired soon. I will be livid if we keep him another year.

Grade D if he was our regular season starter, but have to give him a C for his play considering the situation and add a + for winning. C+

I agree with all your comments.
Share 49ersWebzone