There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach Singletary Thread (General Topics)

Originally posted by lamontb:
Just gotta win monday night

winning cures everything
I am personally not overacting to anything. I am not saying that he's going to turn out to be a horrible coach and that he should be fired. All I'm saying is that these type of meltdown moments are indicators that he could be going down a path of losing control and eventually losing his job. Look at Denis Green and Mora and Dicka, and many others, their media melt downs were the start of their demise.

Sing is the face of the franchise. And you can't allow any situation to cause you to have a melt down.
This organization is a joke. The days of yesteryear seem like a distant, fading memory.

I never wanted Singletary as a head coach. I've been asking for days now why did the Yorks hire him instead of Martz? Or consider a Shanahan or Gruden or Holmgren.

Even in his first year, last year, he showed the signs of incompetency as a head coach. Remember Atlanta?
That interview was just embarrassing.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

You know what, I have to agree.

I expect him to contain his anger and frustration as he professes to his players. I was taken a back by just how staunch and grounded Singletary's defensive posture emanated in that interview. As soon as the interviewer mentioned Raye for the first time, Mike immediately crossed his arms and frowned.

Too me, that means that something is true within that article for him to be that riled, serious behavior wake-up call. His behavior demonstrates a very defensive posture to the point that he is unwilling to listen to any other point of view, but his. In the media, that's not going to fly. You have to respect it, deal with it professionally, and move on.

He didn't and now his fiery personality is back firing on him.

Still, I have seen worse as another poster said.

The same goes for "Winning cures everything".
Singletary is a joke, he can't coach for anything and his reputation as a bad a$$ linebacker got him this far. It is obvious he loses it in pressure situations and is not fit to coach a NFL team. We should have kept Martz, he can't motivate like Singletary but he couch out coach him any day of the week, and as we have been learning for the past 2 years motivation only gets you so far. I would love to see what Martz could do as a head coach with a pro-bowl RB, TE, pro-bowl caliber WR, decent #2, one of the fastest guys in the league at the slot, and a QB who excelled with Norv Turner calling plays.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Only the webzone. Classic overreactions when things go bad. We could have hired Shanny, Walrus, or any coach any of you guys wanted. After last Monday and you'd still rip the guy after the team performed like they did.

The overwhelming support and cries to let Sing be the next HC was unbelievable and how quickly you all turn your backs on him and cry for him to be s**tcanned now.

The Singletary experiment should be over, the first year was impressive he took a 2-5 team and got them to finish up 5-4. He then followed that with 8-8. That was no improvement. Now he starts the season with a blow out loss where everyone other than a few guys on defense didn't play well, and worse yet the coaching staff had trouble getting in plays and was back to miss using time outs. I was for his hiring and hoped he would learn on the job. Looking at his record he isn't doing that, he was a .500 coach right out of the box, and that is what he is now. He is a great motivator which is good enough to make a 5-11 team into 8-8, but he doesn't have the x and o knowledge to step beyond that, nor does he have the knowledge to assemble a staff to make up for his shortcomings.

Considering the hand we were dealt last year, going 8-8 was more than we could ask for. We had a staff that was smart enough to go with a spread style system because we could not open holes consistently for the run game and it helped place the QB in a position to succeed given the pass protection deficiencies. I saw a coaching staff that managed to field a fairly strong defense despite not having a blue chip pass rusher or any all pro defensive backs. One that helped us win or keep us in quite a few games.

I fail to see how 1 game changes EVERYTHING. This offseason everyone was excited. After the preseason, the excitement level was still high. Now it's time to fire Sing ? Child Please.
Originally posted by BobS:
Only the webzone. Classic overreactions when things go bad. We could have hired Shanny, Walrus, or any coach any of you guys wanted. After last Monday and you'd still rip the guy after the team performed like they did.

The overwhelming support and cries to let Sing be the next HC was unbelievable and how quickly you all turn your backs on him and cry for him to be s**tcanned now.

The Singletary experiment should be over, the first year was impressive he took a 2-5 team and got them to finish up 5-4. He then followed that with 8-8. That was no improvement. Now he starts the season with a blow out loss where everyone other than a few guys on defense didn't play well, and worse yet the coaching staff had trouble getting in plays and was back to miss using time outs. I was for his hiring and hoped he would learn on the job. Looking at his record he isn't doing that, he was a .500 coach right out of the box, and that is what he is now. He is a great motivator which is good enough to make a 5-11 team into 8-8, but he doesn't have the x and o knowledge to step beyond that, nor does he have the knowledge to assemble a staff to make up for his shortcomings.

Considering the hand we were dealt last year, going 8-8 was more than we could ask for. We had a staff that was smart enough to go with a spread style system because we could not open holes consistently for the run game and it helped place the QB in a position to succeed given the pass protection deficiencies. I saw a coaching staff that managed to field a fairly strong defense despite not having a blue chip pass rusher or any all pro defensive backs. One that helped us win or keep us in quite a few games.

I fail to see how 1 game changes EVERYTHING. This offseason everyone was excited. After the preseason, the excitement level was still high. Now it's time to fire Sing ? Child Please.

To be fair, I think a lot of people questioned Singletary's play calling ever since he took over for Nolan. And why would you keep a garbage OC like Raye just to have continuity, when the continuity you are trying to reach won't really get you far anyway?
We lead the NFL in team meetings after week 1

Easier said then done.

I wish we were playing the Rams or some other cup cake, all this drama and the big bad Saints are coming to town.

Originally posted by susweel:

Easier said then done.

I wish we were playing the Rams or some other cup cake, all this drama and the big bad Saints are coming to town.

and what happens if the Niners lose?
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Easier said then done.

On a night we honor the GOAT
Originally posted by Nes49:

Easier said then done.

On a night we honor the GOAT

But that's what you want right? A chance to prove yourself against the #1 or #2 team in the league.

Bring it! We have to see where we are, period, win or lose. This is the giant litmus test.

Hope it comes out positive! At least, in this test.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

Don't want to get on a tangent, but wasn't Jesus a person who told the truth, no matter how brutal. Sometimes that can be taken as rude. Singletary didn't lie to the reporter. He told him the truth of how he feels about the situation and wants to talk about other things. A guy can only say the same things so many times. The reporter should just check transcripts or previous interviews about this topic.

Is it good reporting to ask a question that has already been answered or is it better to ask a different question that may get the interviewee to reveal this issue? It was a dumb question because the exact question has been asked a number of times already.