LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Coach Singletary Thread (General Topics)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jed_york:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

Don't want to get on a tangent, but wasn't Jesus a person who told the truth, no matter how brutal. Sometimes that can be taken as rude. Singletary didn't lie to the reporter. He told him the truth of how he feels about the situation and wants to talk about other things. A guy can only say the same things so many times. The reporter should just check transcripts or previous interviews about this topic.

Is it good reporting to ask a question that has already been answered or is it better to ask a different question that may get the interviewee to reveal this issue? It was a dumb question because the exact question has been asked a number of times already.

So in your opinion, Dennis the sports anchor for CBS should just tell his audiences or the paying customers of his employer to check the internet or other competing stations for information? Just because the question has been asked by other media outfits?

why even have interviews in that case? why not just one press release for all media?

My opinion is that Dennis was unprepared because he could have been more tactful in bringing up a topic that had already been discussed but he was being lazy and didn't want to think too hard and this kind of stuff makes an interviewee feel like the reporter is testing how dumb the interviewee is.

Both of these people have jobs that they need to prepare for. Singletary is basted for being basic at his job and this guy is doing the same at his job. That's how I see it.

[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 17, 2010 at 11:11:35 ]
Labelling coach sings recent outburst of frustration a meltdown is over blowing the situation. This organization suffered one of its worst opening day defeats in its history & is set to face off against the super bowl champions on MNF. How could anyone be critical of the coach being on edge?? I just hope it carries over to the players. I believe this is his attempt to light a fire under the whole team coaches included.Losing your cool isn't professional, but it does happen to the best of us. Fans shouldn't jump the gun until the results are displayed on Monday night.

What if the 49ers play the way they did the last time they were on MNF & upset the champs?? I'll be starting the "coach sing is a motivational genius" thread.

As far as the issue behind this whole mess, the complications with the play calling I have news for you guys in any level of football there are "1st week problems" that can easily be corrected this would fall under that category.

[ Edited by GMniner805 on Sep 17, 2010 at 11:14:03 ]
Quote:

Emotions will carry Singletary and the 49ers only so far. And there's nothing wrong with coaching with emotion -- it's got Pete Carroll to 1-0. But there has to be coaching with the coaching, too. That's also what got Carroll to 1-0

What a prick. For a guy who professes a Christian faith, that sure wasn't Jesus-like. But more than just being rude and defensive, he was also classless and unprofessional.

It's now clear that he's taken on more than he can chew as an NFL head coach, and I honestly don't see him around after this season unless we win the division. Anything less, and he's out.

Don't want to get on a tangent, but wasn't Jesus a person who told the truth, no matter how brutal. Sometimes that can be taken as rude. Singletary didn't lie to the reporter. He told him the truth of how he feels about the situation and wants to talk about other things. A guy can only say the same things so many times. The reporter should just check transcripts or previous interviews about this topic.

Is it good reporting to ask a question that has already been answered or is it better to ask a different question that may get the interviewee to reveal this issue? It was a dumb question because the exact question has been asked a number of times already.

Rather convenient to hide behind the whole "truth" thing so you can be an ass to someone who is merely asking you a question as part of his job. Look, if O'Donnell was being a jerk about it, it would be a different story....but he was just doing his job, asking about a situation that is obviously of interest to a lot of people.

Btw, the interviewee doesn't get to dictate to the reporter what can or can't be asked without coming off like an ass. If you're in the public eye and YOU AGREE to be interviewed, just be a man and answer the questions. Don't act like a little kid, like a bully trying to intimidate and demean another person...that just perpetuates the situation.

The REAL truth is (if he was REALLT being honest) very likely that someone did rat out Jimmy Raye, and that Raye isn't much of an OC, which speaks directly to Sing's judgement.

If I had to guess, this is likely the source of Singletary's anger/frustration, and not just being asked the same questions by reporters (which happens all the time).
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by alexsmith:
Personally, he wasn't rude at all; he was direct and very clear. The reporter was the one who moved on from question to question.

Reporter asked how they will "try" to stop Brees. Singletary corrected him by saying they won't try, they will. The reporter could have went into more detailed questions about that if he knew a thing about football and planning but he got scared.

What do you expect, it's the Bay Area who are majority liberal and sensitive to everything in this planet.

Like Al Davis said about Californians and how East Coast personalities deal with them: We dominate em.

His directness translates to rudeness - no matter how slice it or dice it.

He was rude and defensive and very unprofessional.

Where does it say in the handbook of coaches that if you are asked a question 1000 times, you can't answer it in a stern tone? He didn't make any personal remarks.

I guess the reporter wasn't rude for asking a question that had already been answered. But that's OK, reporters can ignore anything said by the interviewee and ask a question over and over again.

These coaches get paid to these interviews and it they dont want to do them they dont have to. But dont take money and then sit there and like a total douche bag.

Same goes for the reporters. That statement is a copout. More money doesn't equal different personality. Is he supposed to "act" nice to a person who asked a question that's already been answered? He wasn't rude about it. He said he didn't want to discuss it. The reporter ignored that comment and tried to ask again but Singletary stopped him before he finished. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not all for his knowledge of coached but he wasn't rude at all. His lack of coaching ability has nothing to do with his personality and it seems as though people are carrying over their frustration with his coaching to his personality.

I understand what you are saying Joe but in no way to me at least did I think the reporter was coming off being over intrusive.

Those were all fair questions that the audience of the reporter want answered.

The media can ask any question they want even if its a duplicate question. There is a way of handling things in a professional calm manner.

Also whats with all this "We will stop Drew Brees" and "We will score points". To me thats a person who is trying to convince himself and his team through the media. Stuff like that needs to be said behind closed doors, not to media outlets.

Also I can understand a coach being cocky like Jimmy Johnson was when he was the Cowboys. The biggest difference is that Jimmy had the horses to back up his talk. WTF does Singletary have ? He has a crappy ass QB, crappy Oline, a clueless OC and an overrated defense.

Message to Singletary dont talk the talk if you (or your team) cant back it up.

Anybody remember the "We will see the Vikings again in the playoffs" comment from last year.
Are you guys really taking anything Dennis O'Donnell does seriously?
Originally posted by TX9R:
I don't really care about rude or how he is with the media, just his overall demeanor and reactions are not that of a professional coach. He comes off as extremely outdated, emotional and just not all that bright. He probably could have been good in the 60s/70s, but not in todays game. Look at the successful coaches: cerebral, innovative, X and O guys who also know how to play the media and push the right buttons with players. Singletary knows 1 button and one way of doing things. I'm guessing the team tunes him out by week 8. I am now convinced that this is not the regime that will bring success, even though the team is talented.

I would like to see a definition of how a "professional" NFL Football head coach is supposed to act. Pats coach indirectly puts down dumb questions also and will literally not answer things that don't pertain to football or on the field. Is he not professional.

These guys aren't business men or head CEO's who must act like politicians. They are in a profession that requires different attributes. Therefore, the way they are to be professional would be different, wouldn't it?

Rather convenient to hide behind the whole "truth" thing so you can be an ass to someone who is merely asking you a question as part of his job. Look, if O'Donnell was being a jerk about it, it would be a different story....but he was just doing his job, asking about a situation that is obviously of interest to a lot of people.

Btw, the interviewee doesn't get to dictate to the reporter what can or can't be asked without coming off like an ass. If you're in the public eye and YOU AGREE to be interviewed, just be a man and answer the questions. Don't act like a little kid, like a bully trying to intimidate and demean another person...that just perpetuates the situation.

The REAL truth is (if he was REALLT being honest) very likely that someone did rat out Jimmy Raye, and that Raye isn't much of an OC, which speaks directly to Sing's judgement.

If I had to guess, this is likely the source of Singletary's anger/frustration, and not just being asked the same questions by reporters (which happens all the time).

so, let me get this straight, there's no rules on what an interviewer can ask but there are rules on how an interviewee can state an answer?

The media gets away with being rude way more often than does a person being interviewed. Yes, he agreed on the interview. That doesn't mean has isn't allowed to be stern, answer the question the way he feels like answering it and let the interviewer know that that's all he's going to get.

He didn't get personal with the interviewer and that's all that matters. Everything else done was within the scope of interviewer/interviewee dynamic.

[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 17, 2010 at 11:19:11 ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
I don't really care about rude or how he is with the media, just his overall demeanor and reactions are not that of a professional coach. He comes off as extremely outdated, emotional and just not all that bright. He probably could have been good in the 60s/70s, but not in todays game. Look at the successful coaches: cerebral, innovative, X and O guys who also know how to play the media and push the right buttons with players. Singletary knows 1 button and one way of doing things. I'm guessing the team tunes him out by week 8. I am now convinced that this is not the regime that will bring success, even though the team is talented.

Good post, I agree
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's obviously way over his head. Wow what a terrible HC.

You are right. Let's fire him, and promote Jimmy Raye. That will surely help.

Loving Mike Johnson everyday....

-Staunch supporter of Nate Davis
-Throwing Raye under bus
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Loving Mike Johnson everyday....

-Staunch supporter of Nate Davis
-Throwing Raye under bus

Yay yay
Yes, winning will cure everything....but right now, this team is in disarray (on and off the field), and that falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach.
I don't give a crap about his tone in answering a question. boohoo, go cry to your mamma about his tone.

What's more important is how does what he said affect his team.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by alexsmith:
Personally, he wasn't rude at all; he was direct and very clear. The reporter was the one who moved on from question to question.

Reporter asked how they will "try" to stop Brees. Singletary corrected him by saying they won't try, they will. The reporter could have went into more detailed questions about that if he knew a thing about football and planning but he got scared.

What do you expect, it's the Bay Area who are majority liberal and sensitive to everything in this planet.

Like Al Davis said about Californians and how East Coast personalities deal with them: We dominate em.

His directness translates to rudeness - no matter how slice it or dice it.

He was rude and defensive and very unprofessional.

Whether it was rude or not I guess doesn't seem to be the issue for me - was it SMART should be the question.

Swagger is great when you can back it up. My problem is that until now, this team really hasn't proven s**t in terms of being able to beat a top tier team. Yes I know we've come close and we almostshoulddawoulddacouldda, but that's not a win.

Does what he said help his team win or gives your opponent more incentive to play harder against you. I know some have said "who f**king cares what the Saints think" and that's somewhat true, but if I'm a smart fighter, I don't try to motivate the other team by saying dumb s**t.

And that's the core of all that's happened over the past week... have what the 49ers been doing SMART? It's the totality of decisions thus far that have brought us to this point. Was it smart to give vets so many days off? Was it smart with players clearly having a problem with Crabtree missing practice time/preseason games smart resulting in your team captain exposing an "elephant" in the room? Was it smart to wait until the 1st game, a divisional game to let the communication issues sort themselves out when it was clearly a big issue in preseason? Is it smart despite offensive leaders being somewhat unhappy about the offensive scheme continue to allow Raye complete reign without suggestion? Is it smart to keep Brian f**king Westbrook on the bench for an entire game?

I am willing to give anyone time to change. I am more than willing to look at this rationally, but Singletary is starting to exhibit behavior that raises a lot of questions. The Seattle game was more an added statement IMHO, and crystalized all the smaller issues that hadn't been resolved properly and allowed to fester. The interview although direct, again it makes me question the thought process - just like a game.... is the team making smart decisions (time-outs, going for it on 4th, WRs running 1 yard routes, allowing CBs to gamble with no pass-rush, etc.).
Originally posted by danimal:
I never in a million years thought I would ever witness an NFL head coach talking about "Rats"

This Franchise is downright embarrassing.

He wasn't talking about rats except for stating that he's not going to talk about rats. He already mentioned that a rat will come out on its own and that's it.

The media is talking about rats.

lol, way to spin it. I love Sing. In about any other job in the NFL but HC or DC. He was and is a great coach to have on staff. But as an HC he is an absolute joke. Period, end o story.
Share 49ersWebzone