Wildcat/Taser

Wildcat/Taser

Our "Taser" needs to go!
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by chucksteak49:
i've never been a fan of the wildcat.
sure it worked last year...

...but that was last year.

The problem is not the Wildcat, it's a combination of the personnel used and poor execution.

Did anybody watch the Indy-Miami game last night, or the Eagles' version of the Wildcat from their Sunday game against NO? That's how you run the Wildcat.....with competent players and tight execution. Miami ran the Wildcat brilliantly...it was a beautiful to watch. The Colt defense was listless, flustered and worn out all night long....they just couldn't slow down the grind. It was the ultimate in Tuna possession ball.

I don't think the Niners practice it enough for one, and the other, I don't think the OC understands the central philosophy behind it.

Ask the Dolphins why they opted to run the Wildcat in the first place? The answer was given in last night's game.....they wanted to field a formation which put their best talent on the field at one time. Their best talent are their RB tandem of Brown and Williams....the Wildcat allows both on them on the field at the same time.....it also drastically reduces the time for the runner to hit the whole by often taking the sow developing QB handoff out of the equation....it makes the RB the QB and he can pick his whole right off the snap or choose another option behind the line. Imagine a decent mobile passing QB running the Wildcat....the possibilities are endless. This is straight up Battle's (or even MRob's) alley really. But the coaching staff exhibits a poor understanding of the talent at their disposal....opting instead to put it all in the hands of an unproven player like Spurlock.

Send this to Jimmy Raye immediately. Learn it, know it, live it! Practice it more, with the right personnel, before it loses us a game.
If they're going to run it, they need to have someone back there that the defense will fear ripping off a long run. People probably don't even know who Spurlock is!
I cringe every time they line up in this formation.

Although, I must say, last time when spurlock took it, had he connected on that pass, that would have been a really nice pickup...

The problem is not the Wildcat, it's a combination of the personnel used and poor execution.

Did anybody watch the Indy-Miami game last night, or the Eagles' version of the Wildcat from their Sunday game against NO? That's how you run the Wildcat.....with competent players and tight execution. Miami ran the Wildcat brilliantly...it was a beautiful to watch. The Colt defense was listless, flustered and worn out all night long....they just couldn't slow down the grind. It was the ultimate in Tuna possession ball.

I don't think the Niners practice it enough for one, and the other, I don't think the OC understands the central philosophy behind it.

Ask the Dolphins why they opted to run the Wildcat in the first place? The answer was given in last night's game.....they wanted to field a formation which put their best talent on the field at one time. Their best talent are their RB tandem of Brown and Williams....the Wildcat allows both on them on the field at the same time.....it also drastically reduces the time for the runner to hit the whole by often taking the sow developing QB handoff out of the equation....it makes the RB the QB and he can pick his whole right off the snap or choose another option behind the line. Imagine a decent mobile passing QB running the Wildcat....the possibilities are endless. This is straight up Battle's (or even MRob's) alley really. But the coaching staff exhibits a poor understanding of the talent at their disposal....opting instead to put it all in the hands of an unproven player like Spurlock.

Kray28, you are spot on, dude. Any team that wants to play ball-control offense, and run the ball the majority of the time, should have a Wildcat (Taser) personel package in their offense. Did you notice how Gruden (or maybe it was Jaworski) noted how the Wildcat formation and personel package gets you an extra blocker for running the ball? That's a huge weapon for these 8-in-the-box defenses.

And it is all about getting your best players on the field. I want to see Robinson as the trigger man for the Taser. The guy knows how to make good decisions and how to lay out tacklers. Spurlock is just this year's Taylor Jacobs, a guy who got reps and did OK in TC, only due to injuries to others. Raye couldn't use Robinson, when they installed the Taser, because Robinson wasstill suffering from a groin pull, incurred in Singletary's stupid nutcracker drill. The fact the Spurlock is still running the Taser is a residue of that nutcracker bulls***, which also sidelined Willis, Baas, Brown and others.

Spurlock was let go by Tampa Bay! He can't catch the snap. He can't hit an open receiver. He can't run over anyone. He is not "one of the best players" that you want to get on the field. He is not even one of the best 53 players. Send Spurlock to the inactive list, until Crabtree signs, and get Jason Hill back on the field as a gunner on the punt return team and for spot duty as a WR.

Give me Robinson, Coffee and Norris in the Taser backfield. Thank you!
I don't understand why Mrob isn't lining up at QB in our wildcat Why the f**k is Michael Spurlock throwing the ball in that situation? I think Mrob can do a better job at throwing the football than him...I just don't understand. We could've had a big play out of that.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

Kray28, you are spot on, dude. Any team that wants to play ball-control offense, and run the ball the majority of the time, should have a Wildcat (Taser) personel package in their offense. Did you notice how Gruden (or maybe it was Jaworski) noted how the Wildcat formation and personel package gets you an extra blocker for running the ball? That's a huge weapon for these 8-in-the-box defenses.

And it is all about getting your best players on the field. I want to see Robinson as the trigger man for the Taser. The guy knows how to make good decisions and how to lay out tacklers. Spurlock is just this year's Taylor Jacobs, a guy who got reps and did OK in TC, only due to injuries to others. Raye couldn't use Robinson, when they installed the Taser, because Robinson wasstill suffering from a groin pull, incurred in Singletary's stupid nutcracker drill. The fact the Spurlock is still running the Taser is a residue of that nutcracker bulls***, which also sidelined Willis, Baas, Brown and others.

Spurlock was let go by Tampa Bay! He can't catch the snap. He can't hit an open receiver. He can't run over anyone. He is not "one of the best players" that you want to get on the field. He is not even one of the best 53 players. Send Spurlock to the inactive list, until Crabtree signs, and get Jason Hill back on the field as a gunner on the punt return team and for spot duty as a WR.

Give me Robinson, Coffee and Norris in the Taser backfield. Thank you!

I don't think Spurlock is necessarily a bad player to have out there but it needs to be practiced more and he needs to spend some of his own time working on throws if he wants to keep that job. The more time spent practicing the play the better understanding players will have of the package and the better they will begin to execute it. Spurlock is quicker and shiftier than MRob and AB thus why he is plugged in to run it IMO. He can get outside faster with the ball and his prior QB experience makes him a threat to throw it. The execution thus far has lacked but if the players execute we will start to see it net positive yardage.

As far as running it on 3rd and 22....I really don't think it was a bad play call. Normally in those situations we would call a draw play, and how often does a draw play in that situation net you a first down ? Teams don't often call pass plays looking to get the 1st down in that situation unless they are playing catch up (or unless you are playing Madden where that might work). The Seahawks were caught off guard by the pass play out of the formation on 3rd and 22. We had called a run play out of the formation earlier to set that pass play up.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I don't understand why Mrob isn't lining up at QB in our wildcat Why the f**k is Michael Spurlock throwing the ball in that situation? I think Mrob can do a better job at throwing the football than him...I just don't understand. We could've had a big play out of that.

Thats what I said.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

Thats what I said.

The one thing guys is we don't really know if MRob would be better throwing out of that situation. Impossible to say.

I wish we would have used that formation MORE in preseason with MRob AB and Spurlock all getting opportunities to run it, so they could all get a feel for it and the coaches could see how each performs in a game situation running it.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Thats what I said.

The one thing guys is we don't really know if MRob would be better throwing out of that situation. Impossible to say.

I wish we would have used that formation MORE in preseason with MRob AB and Spurlock all getting opportunities to run it, so they could all get a feel for it and the coaches could see how each performs in a game situation running it.

True. Does anyone know if Spurlock played QB in HS or college?
Not only does the Taser suck, it full on sucks. I'm quite certain I could have thrown that ball better on the run than Spurlock did. C'mon Raye, why not have Sean the QB throw in passing situations? At least he wouldn't have overthrown his receiver that bad...uhhh...he can't. The Wildcat is not the new black, every team has practiced against it and at this point probably chuckle when they see opposing teams run it. "Cool, these fools are gonna run the Wildcat-FAIL." It just doesn't work.
The problem I have with the taser is that I'm pretty sure it's the reason Spurlock suits up on sundays and Hill does not. I think hill is a much better route runner and reciever then Spurlock. I'm not sure what he did this off season to upset the powers that be but it's to bad he doesn't get the attention he should in the offense. It'll be interesting to see what happens now that Jones is back.
The wildcat will work if you are dedicated to using it (like the Dolphins). If you throw it in as a "wrinkle," it's not likely to be better than any play you could normally run.
I say get rid of Spurlock and run it through Robinson. Robinson is probably the better QB and he is a much better runner. Also since he is already a RB he is in the backfield already and we would be able to confuse teams more easily than having a WR come down in the wildcat and give away what we are doing.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Thats what I said.

True. Does anyone know if Spurlock played QB in HS or college?

He was the backup QB at Ole Miss to Eli Manning.

Quote:
COLLEGE:

Played in 21 games at Mississippi at quarterback and running back. Appeared in all 11 games with 8 starts as a senior, starting 7 contests at quarterback and 1 at running back. Completed 142 of 267 passes for 1,709 yds. with 7 TDs and 9 INTs. Played in 7 games as a junior and completed 30 of 70 passes for 341 yds.

WR Michael Spurlock's Bio... (49ers.com)

[ Edited by PTulini on Sep 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM ]