There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Mark Sanchez really that bad?

He definitely has Alex Smith syndrome, except substitute athletic ability for arm strength. Needs a change of scenery. He definitely has talent
Yes /thread.
I dont doubt he could have done at least as well as Alex did the last season and half here.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
He definitely has Alex Smith syndrome, except substitute athletic ability for arm strength. Needs a change of scenery. He definitely has talent

Arm strength doesn't equal NFL QB talent.
Rex Ryan is
I Dont think Mark Sanchez is a Bad QB its just the NY Jets dont know how to run there System...look how the 49ers were bad we hired 7 Different offensive coordinators until we finally got Jim Harbaugh and the Culture Changed if i were the Jets i would clean house and start fresh
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

lets march for butt fumble rights
Looks like solid starting NFL quarterback to me.

Butt fu....mble.
[ Edited by captain_planet on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM ]
I don't think Sanchez is a bad QB. The early success went to his head and he stopped working the way a young QB needs to work. He plateaued, the talent around him got worse and everything came to a head last season. Comparing him to Alex is a slap in the face to Alex. If Sanchez worked as hard as Alex did, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Sanchez has more natural talent, but can't touch Alex in terms of football smarts and work ethic. He went the celebrity route because of the NY media spotlight (GQ, dating Eva Longoria) and missed out on those crucial developmental years 3 and 4. A lot of it falls on the Jets though, Their GM didn't reload the roster, they gave him too much money early on, let him get soft, then compounded the mistake by bringing in Tebow to "challenge" and push him, which blew up in their faces and became a distraction for the entire team. Rex is also protective of his players, to a fault, and didn't lean on Sanchez to get in the film room and get better. Like Alex too, their offensive coordinators have come and gone the last few years.

Tough to say whether or not he can salvage his career. Some stability with the roster and coaching staff would go a long way, but maybe a change of scenery would be better, just don't see a whole lot of options out there.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
One thing to note, Sanchez is not the right qb to play in New York. The stadium is extremely windy. To succeed in those conditions, a QB has to have a strong arm and throw a very tight spiral. Sanchez has neither of these. I recall hearing somewhere that Sanchez has much better passing statistics on the road than at home (I also believe the same can be said for Eli) because their stadium is so difficult to throw in.

With that being said, I do not believe that Sanchez is an elite NFL qb. With the right coaching and good talent around him, I believe he can be a winning QB similar to Alex Smith. I don't think a team will sign him to be their stater so he will likely be a #2 qb after leaving the Jets.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
last two seasons he couldn't even get into the playoffs.

You know...this is a team sport, right?

you give him credit for doing well in the playoffs, citing team playoff record..

not say he didn't play well, just that he has declined since.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
in the playoffs he is over 60% and over a 93 QB rating

Yes. He's been good in the playoffs. He's 4-2 and has played well in both AFC Championship games. Dog him all you want, but the guy plays well in the playoffs and has been clutch.

last two seasons he couldn't even get into the playoffs.

bc the offensive line and defense declined

think of Alex Smith when our defense and offensive line was non dominant = Sanchez like

he's contributed to the team declining. not saying it's entirely his fault. but there isn't really much to defend.....

i buy the "if he had harbaugh" argument to an extent..... but alex still was replaceable after 1.5 years under harbaugh.
He was more interested in posing in magazines and banging 17 year olds than he was about football.

and yes, butt fumble
you give him credit for doing well in the playoffs, citing team playoff record..

not say he didn't play well, just that he has declined since.

The outcome is a team stat, but HE played well.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

lets march for butt fumble rights

The most hilarious thing I have seen in a long time was on ESPN today. They were showing Mark Sanchez highlights saying how he was way better than Tebow and Geno Smith. In the middle of the Sanchez highlight reel was the butt fumble from 3 different angles.

LMFAO they didn't show 3 angles of any of his passes but in the f**king middle of his highlight reel they put three angles and one in slow motion of the ass fumble.

That killed me.

The best part was they were talking about it like we were talking about Tom Brady and his new contract and showing his elite highlights while we watched face to ass from three incredible angles. lol