There are 165 users in the forums

Is Mark Sanchez really that bad?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't think he's anything special, but feel a lot of the criticism is unwarranted. He started off well, then has crumbled as the team around him has crumbled.

The good:
2 AFC Championship game appearances
26 TDs 2 seasons ago
Clutch wins - 10 fourth quarter comebacks, 12 game-winning drives
Has played pretty well in the playoffs all things considered
Hard worker

The bad:
High INTs
boneheaded plays
accuracy issues
Appears to be on the down swing
Obscenely pricey contract

Problems:
lack of talent at skilled positions for most of his career
Defensive minded head coach and poor OC's. 3rd OC/System going into his 5th year.
Tebow
Playing in the fishbowl that is New York.

Is there a future for Mark or is he done? I think he may be done in New York, but can be serviceable or even above average somewhere else. Thoughts?
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM ]
Two words: Butt fumble
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaManRathman:

lol.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

this
Just like another QB that has been widely discussed here (for obvious reasons), there are many excuses for Sanchez' poor play - and many are legit, but they are excuses nonetheless.

At the end of the day, no matter the excuses, Sanchez has performed poorly the last couple seasons. Is he as bad as it seems? Probably not. But is he a good QB? Absolutely not.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Just like another QB that has been widely discussed here (for obvious reasons), there are many excuses for Sanchez' poor play - and many are legit, but they are excuses nonetheless.

At the end of the day, no matter the excuses, Sanchez has performed poorly the last couple seasons. Is he as bad as it seems? Probably not. But is he a good QB? Absolutely not.

I think we can all agree that he isn't a good QB. But can he be good somewhere else or will he be a backup somewhere next year?

Last year was downright awful. He was awful, his teammates were awful and his co-ordinator was awful (what a terrible hire).
Year before he was pretty decent. 2009 and 2010 he was meh...but played well in the playoffs. Is there a good QB in there somewhere?
Lomas Brown seems to think that he's coming over here to compete with Kaepernick
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I think we can all agree that he isn't a good QB. But can he be good somewhere else or will he be a backup somewhere next year?

Last year was downright awful. He was awful, his teammates were awful and his co-ordinator was awful (what a terrible hire).
Year before he was pretty decent. 2009 and 2010 he was meh...but played well in the playoffs. Is there a good QB in there somewhere?

I think what happens is you get guys who go to bad teams and bad coaches and they make them look way worse. Sanchez is probably a player in desperate need of a new team.
Originally posted by Envy:

I think what happens is you get guys who go to bad teams and bad coaches and they make them look way worse. Sanchez is probably a player in desperate need of a new team.

So that means he's coming over here

He is better than many backups out there. However he is paid an obscene amount of money for that level of playing.
A QB who played efficient Bc his weaknesses were masked with a strong run game and great defense.

Am I talking about Smith or Sanchez?

Two words: Vince Wilfork! He just hold the point until he sees where the ball is going and just shoves his man into Sanchez. Yes Sanchez is rotten but that play was all Vince. Sanchez probably should have held onto the ball but there is no way he wasn't going to get destroyed running that close to big man Wilfork. The best defensive lineman in the game IMO.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
A QB who played efficient Bc his weaknesses were masked with a strong run game and great defense.

Am I talking about Smith or Sanchez?

I think it applies to both. But I will say that when things broke down and it was all on the QB, Alex wasn't quite as bad as Sanchez.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Two words: Vince Wilfork! He just hold the point until he sees where the ball is going and just shoves his man into Sanchez. Yes Sanchez is rotten but that play was all Vince. Sanchez probably should have held onto the ball but there is no way he wasn't going to get destroyed running that close to big man Wilfork. The best defensive lineman in the game IMO.

He probably should run with his eyes open too.
Share 49ersWebzone