LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'll be happy with whatever we get and I'll also admit I'll be sad to see him go. He's hard working nice guy who despite not getting much loyalty from his team and many fans has stuck by the team that drafted him. He could have turned his back on Colin and the team when he lost his starting spot but has chosen to be a professional and mentor to Colin. Whomever gets him will be a better team for it.
Hopefully we can get a 4th rounder for him.

Vick, Flynn, Sanchez, and even Moore are veterans who Smith will be competing with. Plus the NFL draft.
No way Baalke trades Alex to another team in our division. lol

Alex would also be an upgrade on the Bills over Fitzpatrick.

Agreed it makes sense for a team to trade for Smitty before he hits FA and a bidding war starts.

Alex is worth way more than a 3rd round pick in the right system he has proven he can take a team to a conference final and he's in his prime.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
6? You can safely double that number. How good would Smith look on NYJ.

Yup your right looking at the list of potential teams there's a lot more that Alex would help.
Alex has shown that with the right coaching he is a solid QB.
Norv and Harbaugh are proof.

That said he needs a QB friendly system.
Arians has shown he knows QBs, yet no way in Hell that Baalke trades him inside the divison without a fat deal and even that is highly doubtfull, that's why I'm counting Arizona out.

What else do we have?
Cleveland, Norv as the OC. The coach under whom he started showing potential and had some good games. Problem, Cleveland hasno weapons, Cribbs in no way is a big threat, running game? Maybe after the draft that could be an option.

Kansas City, Reid's system is QB friendly multiple QBs have thrived in his system, Garica resurected his career, Vick looked mor epoised than ever, Kolb got his big contract. The Running game is there Jaamal Charles is a very good RB, Dwayne Bowe is a good WR, the have a pretty soldid O-line, the could lose Bowe to FA, yet that looks as a good fitting.

Buffalo, solid running game in place, WR corps is suspect, O line the same. Some how I don't see him going there. He will search for a coach who is able to put him in the right position to win.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Alex has shown that with the right coaching he is a solid QB.
Norv and Harbaugh are proof.

That said he needs a QB friendly system.
Arians has shown he knows QBs, yet no way in Hell that Baalke trades him inside the divison without a fat deal and even that is highly doubtfull, that's why I'm counting Arizona out.

What else do we have?
Cleveland, Norv as the OC. The coach under whom he started showing potential and had some good games. Problem, Cleveland hasno weapons, Cribbs in no way is a big threat, running game? Maybe after the draft that could be an option.

Kansas City, Reid's system is QB friendly multiple QBs have thrived in his system, Garica resurected his career, Vick looked mor epoised than ever, Kolb got his big contract. The Running game is there Jaamal Charles is a very good RB, Dwayne Bowe is a good WR, the have a pretty soldid O-line, the could lose Bowe to FA, yet that looks as a good fitting.

Buffalo, solid running game in place, WR corps is suspect, O line the same. Some how I don't see him going there. He will search for a coach who is able to put him in the right position to win.

Buff and KC are the 2 best options for Smith. But there are always darkhorses and teams like Minn, Tampa, and even the Titans could all use Smith as an upgrade over their current QBs. Cleveland i dont think is an option b/c of Lombardi.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
On the one hand, who gives a sh*t what they say. But on the other hand, I consume a lot of NFL news and I get sick of seeing 95% of writers in what we might call the "Smith Haters" camp. Here's one recent sarcastic example from ESPN's AFC North blog:

"There's no reason for Chudzinski to deliver a vote of confidence when Weeden hasn't earned it. The Browns are going to have options at quarterback this offseason. They could sign Alex Smith in free agency or trade for Ryan Mallett. OK, I only said there were options. I never said the options were great."

However, in a recent INsider piece, Chris Sprow discussed possible landing spots for Smith and had an outlook similar to some of the more optimistic WZers. Here's his summary of Smith's resume:

"It also means Smith could be cut, but more likely, will be pushed in a trade. And it's actually a good time to trade him. We can call Alex Smith just another Jim Harbaugh creation, but he might be a valuable one, because at the time he was benched he was playing the best football of his life. Smith finished the season with a passer rating of 104.8 which, had it been sustained, would rank behind only Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning. Passer rating doesn't paint nearly a complete picture (ask the new breed of read-zone utilized by QBs like Kaepernick, Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III), but Smith's 2012 QBR ranked seventh and is the best of his career by a mile. He was making better decisions than he ever has, throwing TD passes at a higher rate than he ever has, and driving the ball down the field more often and successfully than he ever has. He helped guide the Niners to the NFC Championship Game last season (exactly where CK has them this season) and was mere bad fumble luck from starting a Super Bowl."

His top five teams who should consider Smith are not surprising: Philadelphia, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Arizona. Tennessee and New York are mentioned as wild cards. Throughout the piece, he points out Smith would be a pretty clear upgrade (both in terms of present consistency and upside) over guys like Foles, Weeden, Gabbert, Henne, Kolb, and this year's draft crop.

To us, that may seem obvious, but I found it refreshing to read an outsider who is actually able to evaluate Smith objectively without the taint of his former "Bust" label. As for what Smith might command in a trade, he offers at least one hint of his opinion when discussing the Chiefs:

"Or they could use a couple of picks to land Smith, and immediately be pegged as one of the turnaround favorites for 2013."

This is what it comes down to, quoting the above...

"His top five teams who should consider Smith are not surprising: Philadelphia, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Arizona. Tennessee and New York are mentioned as wild cards. Throughout the piece, he points out Smith would be a pretty clear upgrade (both in terms of present consistency and upside) over guys like Foles, Weeden, Gabbert, Henne, Kolb, and this year's draft crop."

It's hard to argue against this perspective. Geno Smith, Glennon, Manual, Barkley.... one of the worst QB draft classes in a long time. It's very possible if not likely that they will never be as good as Alex is now. And...who's to say he won't actually still get better.

Any GM or Coach knows that their lifespan is short unless they produce and that means above all getting into the playoffs. With Alex, Philly, Kansas City and the Jets might do that next year. Do you think all those guys want to wait two years to have a shot at drafting a QB who probably won't get them there for another year or so? They will want and need faster results.

Somebody is going to bite and bite hard. A second rounder is highly possible.
[ Edited by barrymartin on Jan 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

The quarterbacks in this year's draft are worse than not good.

There will be no starter qaulity quarterbacks available in free agency this year.

In the last two years, Alex Smith has proven to be a quality starting NFL quarterback.

He will be by far the best quarterback available this year.

There are teams that need a starting quarterback.

Alex would be an immediate upgrade for the Chiefs, Raiders, Cardinals, Jets, Eagles, Vikings, Browns, Buccaneers, Titians and Jaguars.

Alex's contract is more than reasonable.

If he hits free agency, his contract will not be so reasonable.

Waiting for him to become a free agent is not fiscally sound.

I think we can find a trading partner, and get a third round pick.

In fact, I would be schocked if a trade is not already in the works.

Baalke is not stupid.

Very well stated....compelling..and your valuing him to low...Baalke will get better than that...
Originally posted by okdkid:
The Niners need to do what's right by the business and what's right by Alex Smith. He has earned that much.

After the Super Bowl, they should present Alex with all the teams who have expressed interest in trading for him. Allow Alex to narrow the field down on his preferences. Then Baalke should make it happen with one of those teams. Everybody wins.

It will be good for the business and great in the locker room.

I dont think the Niners are going to let Alex Smith tell him where he is going to go. LOL. He will go wherever the Niners get the best deal. PERIOD
Alex Smith does not have a ton of trade value. Yes, he had a great season, yes, he has been a pretty solid quarterback from two years now, but more important than any of that is the fact that the 49ers do not have much leverage. They're not going to hang to him and pay their backup quarterback $7M next year. It's just not going to happen. So, why would a team give up a lot in a trade when they could just wait for him to get cut!?

Yes, there's incentive for a team to acquire Smith and retain his current contract. If he gets cut, I suspect he'll get more guaranteed money that he got last offseason. However, it's not valuable enough that teams are going to give up a high draft pick for him. I think we're looking at something like a 4th round pick for compensation. That's better than nothing, but... I don't think there's any chance we sniff something as valuable as a 1st or a 2nd round pick.

• dj43
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Hopefully we can get a 4th rounder for him.

Vick, Flynn, Sanchez, and even Moore are veterans who Smith will be competing with. Plus the NFL draft.

I honestly don't think any of those are competition for Smith. Vick's injury history and age make it a long-shot another team will offer him a deal. Flynn has had only one good game in his life. Sanchez has been a turnover machine. Moore? Who?

Alex Smith is clearly a better and more polished QB than any of those.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Alex Smith does not have a ton of trade value. Yes, he had a great season, yes, he has been a pretty solid quarterback from two years now, but more important than any of that is the fact that the 49ers do not have much leverage. They're not going to hang to him and pay their backup quarterback $7M next year. It's just not going to happen. So, why would a team give up a lot in a trade when they could just wait for him to get cut!?

Yes, there's incentive for a team to acquire Smith and retain his current contract. If he gets cut, I suspect he'll get more guaranteed money that he got last offseason. However, it's not valuable enough that teams are going to give up a high draft pick for him. I think we're looking at something like a 4th round pick for compensation. That's better than nothing, but... I don't think there's any chance we sniff something as valuable as a 1st or a 2nd round pick.

A starting NFL QB who is 28 just lead his team to the conference final was playing very well before being injured who has been coached up by Jim Harbaugh is in his prime and has a good contract will be bring a hell of a lot more than a 4th round pick in a trade.

The teams that would improve by adding Smith have GM's that are under the gun to improve their teams or lose their jobs and that's why your wrong Alex does have trade value and it will be higher than a 4th rounder lol.

Trolls are obvious the posters who claim Alex will only bring a 3rd or 4th round pick in return in a trade are Alex bashers trolling.
[ Edited by SkyGod on Jan 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM ]

I don't agree at all, Smith is the best available QB this offseason, draft or FA.
Originally posted by SkyGod:

A starting NFL QB who is 28 just lead his team to the conference final was playing very well before being injured who has been coached up by Jim Harbaugh is in his prime and has a good contract will be bring a hell of a lot more than a 4th round pick in a trade.

The teams that would improve by adding Smith have GM's that are under the gun to improve their teams or lose their jobs and that's why your wrong Alex does have trade value and it will be higher than a 4th rounder lol.

Trolls are obvious the posters who claim Alex will only bring a 3rd or 4th round pick in return in a trade are Alex bashers trolling.
LOL. Really? I dont think I am a troll at all in any thread but think a 3rd rd pick is as high as the Niners will get for Smith. I would say that anyone who thinks the Niners will get a first rd pick is dillusional and anyone who thinks the Niners will get a 2nd is very optimistic.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL. Really? I dont think I am a troll at all in any thread but think a 3rd rd pick is as high as the Niners will get for Smith. I would say that anyone who thinks the Niners will get a first rd pick is dillusional and anyone who thinks the Niners will get a 2nd is very optimistic.

You really need to quit trolling or embarrassing yourself whatever your deal is because you clearly know nothing about what the best QB on the market is worth in a trade.
Share 49ersWebzone