LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
One of the main topics of discussion in Philadelphia today, is Alex Smith. If you have TuneIn Radio, or an equivalent, tune
into The Fanatic, 97.5 on the frequency. Why are they talking about AS?, well, 3 days after SB XLVII is done, Philly will
have to pay Vick, 3 million dollars just to keep him on their roster for the upcoming 2013 season.

Most callers ... as well as, thee announcers, feel Alex would be Chip Kelly's best stop-gap option going forward. On average --
since I've been listening -- 8 out of 10 callers, feel this is the direction the club should pursue. Most agree that by not paying
Vick, they could save that 3 million ... which would better serve the team in the long run toward their rebuild.

Alex's QB rating, low salary -- for an NFL QB -- as well as his experience, have been quoted as their reasons for this move,
while the Eagles search for their next QB of the future.

Any speculation on the Eagles trade offer?
I heard he wanted to go to the Vikings , seems like a good fit. I would like to see him do well as long as it ain't Arizona. Tho with a decent qb Arizona is formidable.. They would likely give at least a second for him.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The Niners need to do what's right by the business and what's right by Alex Smith. He has earned that much.

After the Super Bowl, they should present Alex with all the teams who have expressed interest in trading for him. Allow Alex to narrow the field down on his preferences. Then Baalke should make it happen with one of those teams. Everybody wins.

It will be good for the business and great in the locker room.
Originally posted by okdkid:
The Niners need to do what's right by the business and what's right by Alex Smith. He has earned that much.

After the Super Bowl, they should present Alex with all the teams who have expressed interest in trading for him. Allow Alex to narrow the field down on his preferences. Then Baalke should make it happen with one of those teams. Everybody wins.

It will be good for the business and great in the locker room.

Screw that. I like Alex, but you try to trade him to the highest bidder, and hopefully out of the conferance.

I think we get a second straight up from Buffalo or KC
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
One of the main topics of discussion in Philadelphia today, is Alex Smith. If you have TuneIn Radio, or an equivalent, tune
into The Fanatic, 97.5 on the frequency. Why are they talking about AS?, well, 3 days after SB XLVII is done, Philly will
have to pay Vick, 3 million dollars just to keep him on their roster for the upcoming 2013 season.

Most callers ... as well as, thee announcers, feel Alex would be Chip Kelly's best stop-gap option going forward. On average --
since I've been listening -- 8 out of 10 callers, feel this is the direction the club should pursue. Most agree that by not paying
Vick, they could save that 3 million ... which would better serve the team in the long run toward their rebuild.

Alex's QB rating, low salary -- for an NFL QB -- as well as his experience, have been quoted as their reasons for this move,
while the Eagles search for their next QB of the future.

Any speculation on the Eagles trade offer?

A 3rd or a 4th ... that of course, is pure speculation.
Peter King says Bills and Chiefs are favorites to trade for Alex Smith, on Pro Football Talk (NBCSN). For what it's worth.
  • dj43
After the poor performance by both the North and South QBs today, Alex Smith's value just went up a good bit. There just isn't any quality there.
On the one hand, who gives a sh*t what they say. But on the other hand, I consume a lot of NFL news and I get sick of seeing 95% of writers in what we might call the "Smith Haters" camp. Here's one recent sarcastic example from ESPN's AFC North blog:

"There's no reason for Chudzinski to deliver a vote of confidence when Weeden hasn't earned it. The Browns are going to have options at quarterback this offseason. They could sign Alex Smith in free agency or trade for Ryan Mallett. OK, I only said there were options. I never said the options were great."

However, in a recent INsider piece, Chris Sprow discussed possible landing spots for Smith and had an outlook similar to some of the more optimistic WZers. Here's his summary of Smith's resume:

"It also means Smith could be cut, but more likely, will be pushed in a trade. And it's actually a good time to trade him. We can call Alex Smith just another Jim Harbaugh creation, but he might be a valuable one, because at the time he was benched he was playing the best football of his life. Smith finished the season with a passer rating of 104.8 which, had it been sustained, would rank behind only Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning. Passer rating doesn't paint nearly a complete picture (ask the new breed of read-zone utilized by QBs like Kaepernick, Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III), but Smith's 2012 QBR ranked seventh and is the best of his career by a mile. He was making better decisions than he ever has, throwing TD passes at a higher rate than he ever has, and driving the ball down the field more often and successfully than he ever has. He helped guide the Niners to the NFC Championship Game last season (exactly where CK has them this season) and was mere bad fumble luck from starting a Super Bowl."

His top five teams who should consider Smith are not surprising: Philadelphia, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Arizona. Tennessee and New York are mentioned as wild cards. Throughout the piece, he points out Smith would be a pretty clear upgrade (both in terms of present consistency and upside) over guys like Foles, Weeden, Gabbert, Henne, Kolb, and this year's draft crop.

To us, that may seem obvious, but I found it refreshing to read an outsider who is actually able to evaluate Smith objectively without the taint of his former "Bust" label. As for what Smith might command in a trade, he offers at least one hint of his opinion when discussing the Chiefs:

"Or they could use a couple of picks to land Smith, and immediately be pegged as one of the turnaround favorites for 2013."
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Jan 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM ]
Nice read
Good write up. Harbaugh has coached Alex up into becoming a solid dink & dunk game manager QB. Can't throw the deep ball consistently but is still a better QB than what at least 6 NFL teams have presently. In the right system Alex can still be good QB for these teams.

We invested a lot in Alex over the years and i hope Baalke can get something significant in return as opposed to just cutting him.

I hope we play hard ball and get something for him. We spent a lot of money and wasted too many years waiting for his sack to drop, we deserve something especially if he could go to Arizona.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131167/article/quarterbacks-underwhelm-analysts-at-senior-bowl

This weak draft class for QBs has only made Alex Smith's trade value go up. I think a few teams won't wait for him to hit FA because they would have to get into a bidding war and compete against other teams.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

The quarterbacks in this year's draft are worse than not good.

There will be no starter qaulity quarterbacks available in free agency this year.

In the last two years, Alex Smith has proven to be a quality starting NFL quarterback.

He will be by far the best quarterback available this year.

There are teams that need a starting quarterback.

Alex would be an immediate upgrade for the Chiefs, Raiders, Cardinals, Jets, Eagles, Vikings, Browns, Buccaneers, Titians and Jaguars.

Alex's contract is more than reasonable.

If he hits free agency, his contract will not be so reasonable.

Waiting for him to become a free agent is not fiscally sound.

I think we can find a trading partner, and get a third round pick.

In fact, I would be schocked if a trade is not already in the works.

Baalke is not stupid.

Originally posted by SkyGod:
Good write up. Harbaugh has coached Alex up into becoming a solid dink & dunk game manager QB. Can't throw the deep ball consistently but is still a better QB than what at least 6 NFL teams have presently. In the right system Alex can still be good QB for these teams.

We invested a lot in Alex over the years and i hope Baalke can get something significant in return as opposed to just cutting him.

6? You can safely double that number. How good would Smith look on NYJ.
Alex benefited in a weak QB class when drafted and looks to benefit again lol.
Share 49ersWebzone