There are 206 users in the forums

Was Deion as a Falcon ever hated like Sherman was? Would you ever accept Sherman as a 9er?

Shop 49ers game tickets
First, I was a kid in the early 90's so pardon me if my memory of the old rivalry with the dirty birds isn't as good as some, but the current hatred we (and other fans I'm sure) have for Richard Sherman and his antics got me wondering if there was ever a comparable dislike for a similar young, brash, divisional rival DB from the olden days-- Deion Sanders...Yes, I doubt the Niners would ever contemplate signing Sherman if the opportunity arose, but if they did would you be able to accept him?

Just a thought of mine with some small relevance to the upcoming clash with the Falcons...

Edit: as far as Deion's subsequent time with Dallas, Skins, Ravens etc. I didn't concern much with that as the Niners didn't play Deion's teams as often as when he was with a divisional rival, plus he was more mature by then...
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Mar 8, 2018 at 5:41 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
not even close. And no, f**k that dude even though I'm sure he'll start being more humble as he gets older.
Your answer IMO, is a definitive YES !

edit:

BTW, the YES is for the Deion part of your question.
As far as Sherman being a NIner -- and not that I have a say so --
the answer is no. I don't LIKE/SEE him as a 49er.

I hate, when our guys get into the in-game Trash talking that goes on.
I understanding the aspect/mindset of the process ... just never got into
it myself, and have always felt that it distracts from ones performance.

That said, to each their own ... as I doubt that the Art/Practice of trash
talking will disappear from the game. More than likely, it will probably
always be a part of the game ... because IMO, there will always be a
player(s), who feel the need -- for what ever reason(s) -- to participate.
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]
EVERY team (other than the one he was on) and every fan-base hated Deion with a passion.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Deion was not as douchy as sherman, Deion was more entertaining he wasn't disrespectful to his opponents.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
EVERY team (other than the one he was on) and every fan-base hated Deion with a passion.

He was about as arrogant as they came. He was also a big sissy, didn't want any part of tackling a loose running back in the secondary.
Originally posted by susweel:
Deion was not as douchy as sherman, Deion was more entertaining he wasn't disrespectful to his opponents.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Deion was as much entertainment as he was a football player.
Originally posted by BobS:
He was about as arrogant as they came. He was also a big sissy, didn't want any part of tackling a loose running back in the secondary.

But the main difference between Deion and Sherman was Deion's ability was respected throughout the league and there were games that not a single pass was thrown his way. Deion, for being a flamboyant guy and an entertainer, was also respected for his hard work ethic, film review, and game preparation.

I've noticed the body language of some of Sherman's Seahawks teammates and I get the impression that some of them even think he's just a little too much.
[ Edited by Otohns on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM ]
Deion never needed to cheat and lie about his failed drug test.

That said, if Sherman wasn't as good as he is, we would just laugh at his antics.
NO!

Deion was hated because he was the best cover corner in the NFL and gave us problems. His mouth wasn't appreciated BUT Sherman is a rude, classless scumbag who brings the worst out of fans everywhere.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Deion was just a show boater, flashy, cocky but he backed it up on the field. I don't recall him getting in someones face after he won the game. The one thing i liked about Deion is that when he did join the 49ers, he kept it quiet and played lights out!

So...I hated Deion as a competitor but liked having him on our team.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Showboating, self-satisfaction, and demeaning your opponent are never admirable qualities. No one outside of Atlanta liked Deion. And no one inside of Atlanta liked Deion half as much as Deion liked Deion.

The difference is that 49er fans never considered the Falcons a rival in those days. We beat them year in and year out, and they only had one winning season while Sanders was there. So Deion was just some arrogant douche on a team that didn't matter. The Seahawks are a different story. They're legit, and they'll be our rivals for years to come. So, Sherman gets under your skin a little more.
[ Edited by Lifer on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM ]
Only when he played for Dallas.
Originally posted by Niners4ever:
Originally posted by susweel:

Exactly what I was gonna say. Deion was as much entertainment as he was a football player.

+1. I hated Deion's talking, but it was just shameless self-promotion. Sherman is insulting and instigating all day, even when he gets beat deep.
i think i liked deion even when he was with the other squads.. just not when he played us
Share 49ersWebzone